1988 Wrangler wiring question for 5.3L Vortec engine swap [pics] - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1988 Wrangler wiring question for 5.3L Vortec engine swap [pics]

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
fatwreck

1988 Wrangler wiring question for 5.3L Vortec engine swap [pics]

I'm trying to prepare myself for the wiring of the body portion of the 5.3 swap...like the lights, signals, heater, ignition, wipers, etc. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one that took the harness out of the vehicle. The PO did all the work.

Here's what I'm dealing with. This is the main harness that plugs into the firewall side of the fuse box.

The right hand branch appears to be for the head lights and signals. I also have another harness that I know is for the head lights that should plug in here. That one is pretty much still together and facory looking.

This middle branch definitely goes through the firewall and back inside the vehicle. Is this for the gauges or is it for all of the interior wiring? The PO cut quite a few wires out of it and I'm thinking he may have done that because he wasn't sure how to get the harness out of the vehicle if he didn't. Unforutnately I don't have the jeep here to see where it would go.

The left side branch looks like the old engine stuff. I'd like to start removing that part of the harness this weekend. Is there anything in here that I need to keep? I see a couple of power leads. I'll probably keep those. Are they for the alternator? What about the starter relay? Is that the rusty bowl looking thing?

These wires are in the middle of that same branch. I'm not sure what they are for.

I do have the pinouts for the firewall plug. I'm hoping that will help me along the way.

fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
sethr21785
1990 YJ Wrangler 

right side is for all front lights including blinkers and horn, all left is motor. the big plug goes through the firewall and to your old computer under your dash on the passenger side. i dont know what set up you are doing with your new motor but i totally got rid of that on my 4.0 swap.
sethr21785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
sethr21785
1990 YJ Wrangler 

some of the things you will want to keep on the left side is the battery wires, ignition, heater... and i am sure there are more. cant remember right now..
sethr21785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
fatwreck

I'm putting a 5.3 Vortec in it. It has its own harness and you basically need a few things for it: keyed power, battery, fuel pump relay, fan relay, etc.

So, I can pull that whole middle thing and the wires that are attached to it? I have no use for the stock computer unless it is used to run things like the heater and turn signals, which I don't believe it is.

Thanks for the info.
fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
southerntidefan

I know this is old but I'm at same point in my swap. Hopefully if answered my questions will help me and future searchers. I'm at the same point in my swap and am stuck on this. I'm thinking I keep the starter solenoid to feed the starter on my 5.3. I keep the lights heater and all chassis function wires to jeep. I find the wire that goes 12+ when I turn key on and use that to feed my 12+ on the 5.3 pcm.
southerntidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
southerntidefan

You do keep the yj starter solenoid, the heater power wire, all lights and a key hot and a battery hot
southerntidefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.