1988 Jeep YJ 4wd fix - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1988 Jeep YJ 4wd fix

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's not locking in 4wd, it's locking the cad fork over and making the passenger shaft a virtual one piece unit. Posi lock allows you to unlock it with a cable, not a transfer case operated vacuum switch.

Perma lock is the picture I posted. There are some advantages to either method over a Non working CAD unit.

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
unclewilson2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post
I much prefer "alley mechanic'd" to another term people use.

Anyway, thanks a lot. I'm gunna take a took at it before work today to double check which nip it is. If its the indicator switch, i may just plug it or something.

I think Unclewilson was saying. He got is '90 Yj running in december, or got his 4wd working in dec. I dont know what a canle is though? Some clarification Unc'?
ran the rugged ridge cable set up !! got jeep running in dec!! didnt even try the vacumn system on my yj. Have all needed for the set up! all parts are free ! u pay for the shipping if that will help! you can pay for shipping after delivery!
unclewilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
fishnic
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post
I have a quick question before i head to work.

Fishnic, i read in your thread, and other's have suggested locking 4wd in 100%. Is this called permi-lock, as apposed to posi-lock? I'm not sure what the diff is. What happens when you lock it in 100%? Does that mean 4wd will always be engaged? I was under the impression 4wd on dry pavement is bad for it. (Not to mention gas mileage)

If everything will hook up as-is, that would be great. I'm just trying to better understand all my options here.

Thanks.
They are referring to a "permanent lock". Which means locking the front axle together. It still only engages into 4x4 when you pull the lever inside. You can do this permanent lock, the only downside is that front axle shaft is not balanced from the factory and you may get a vibration at certain speeds. you also may see people then swapping out the axle shaft with a TJ shaft or getting theirs balanced as a fix to that.

If you take the actuator apart it is a little easier to understand. The vacuum slides a fork left and right. that fork slides over a fitting that has gear teeth in it. the 2 shafts sit next to each other under the actuator. when the fitting slides over to the drivers side, the front axle locks together and becomes one unit moving together.
fishnic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-595515/ this will help with the understanding of how it works. I did this to mine it took me an hour to so it and I love it because it gives you the option of two low or eBay has a kit for $144 search posi lock good luck
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4wd , fix , four wheel drive , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.