1988 Jeep Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1988 Jeep Wrangler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
countryboy15
1991 YJ Wrangler 

1988 Jeep Wrangler

I was thinking about buying a 1988 Jeep Wrangler but it makes a whining(misting sound as my dad says) when it is running. The whining sound is coming from the passenger side of the jeep. It also makes a crackling noise after it is killed. The owner doesn't know what is wrong with it, but he thinks it needs a tune up and a new distributor. It looks decent. it comes with some extras. also comes with a hardtop and a bikini top. The guy has only had 3 months. He has put a new ignition in it and all new hoses and belts. He has put a new exhaust system on it, also. The engine was rebuilt by one of the previous owners and It has a rebuilt carburetor(this is info. from the mechanic who usually worked on it, the mechanic doesn't know what is wrong with it.). The whining sound is coming from the passenger side under the hood. The crackling wire sounds like some wire burning. Something else it takes a lil' while to get up to 60 with the pedal on the floor. Does this sound like what the problem is?
How much does it sound like it is going to cost to fix?
He is wanting $4500 for it(thats what he put into it). Is it worth it in your opinion?
thanks for any help

(SORRY left this out. It is a 6 cylinder.)

Last edited by countryboy15; 06-02-2009 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: left something out
countryboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

whining sound could be oil pump. Its on that side. Filter may be stopped up.
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Crackling electrical is going to be a short somewhere.

I would say between the Ignition switch and the Coil or Starter.

There is probably a bad wire in the ignition circuit causing either the starter to short, or the coil to fire at the wrong time.

If the engine doesn't "die" right after the key is turned off, the crackle could be part of the system dieseling. The engine gets "quieter" as it is stopping, it hits the next plug and you will here it crackle before it dies completely, this may be due to incorrect timing.

$4500? you can find a fully working 88 for that if you are willing to look around.

To find that crackle, you will need to start / turn off the engine with someone watching for sparks (easier to do in the dark)

most of the time if you can "hear" electricity, you can also see it shorting as well. Watch the starter solenoid, and the coil for the crackle.

You will want to have the timing checked. You didn't say if it was an I6 4.2L or a 4 cylinder.

The 88 4.2L is going to come with a Pukegoat BA10/5 transmission.

This is just my opinion, unless you are very mechanically inclined, I would look for a late 89 or 90 YJ. 4.2L over the 2.5L, and definately AX15 transmission over the Pukegoat BA10/5. I would also suggest getting a later model YJ with Fuel Injection. Carburetors require some tweaking and extra know-how from time to time. If you are going carb'd I would recommend switching out the Carter BBD Pile-o-Scrap for a Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 (there is a guy that makes a kit for the purpose of swapping onto the 4.2L engine on EBay).

late 89 and up will have the AX15 transmission with the 4.2/4.0L, if you go 94 or later, you get the External clutch slave cylinder, of course this assumes you are getting a manual transmission and not an automatic.
88YJtoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
AC_Spiderman
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check Blue book... unless you're into this jeep I'd say rust free $2400 or less.
If your looking to not have issues look for a Fuel injected YJ instead.

That hissing sound must be gold because that's what that guy thinks he's sitting on... although I am sure I will be throwing that much into mine at the rate I am going.
AC_Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Project89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check your catalytic converter, sounds like its plugged up to me.
Project89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would pass on it.

For $4500 you could get a '92-'95 4.0L.

Better fuel system (Mopar injection), better tranny, family style roll bar, etc. The list goes on & on....

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
Classicboss1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For $4,500.00 look for another wrangler, too much $$ You will most likely put another $4,500.00 in it when you're done. save yourself RUN! Don't Walk!

I should have waited for a '95 best of the YJ IMO. But I do have an '89 so I live with it and I love it even though its in pieces putting back together very slowly and can't wait to finish it to do some serious riding.
Classicboss1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
countryboy15
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks I have decided to pass it up and look at a 1991 Jeep Wrangler, no carb. The dude, who owns it, has restored it. He fixed it up for his son to drive but his son didn't like it. Now hes selling to try to help pay for his son college cost. It has a custom stereo in it. everything works perfect except for a small valve cover leak(the only reason he didn't get it fixed was he couldn't find the part).

Last edited by countryboy15; 06-02-2009 at 05:06 PM..
countryboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.