1988 Jeep Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1988 Jeep Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 11-14-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
pmhaines84

1988 Jeep Help

Hello all i'm looking into buying my first jeep and had a few ???

First this is a 1988 Jeep with 192k on it. the body is in really good shape and there isn't all that much rust is there any part that i should keep an eye on, a hidden part that might have rust and give later on?

Second and here is the bigger one: The engine is carburated. I've never had one like that and so i was wondering what are their biggest problems, and do they run well or should i look for something newer? I was told that the carb was rebuild about 5mos ago.

thank you for any advice.

pmhaines84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You're looking at a 4.2, I'm assuming. . . The engine isn't as powerful as the 4.0, but it is pretty torque-ey. The problems with the drivetrain that I know of are the D35 rear axle, and it has the AX15 trans (assuming it's a manual trans), which are both rather weak, but they can be replaced later on.

Looking at an '88, I would highly recommend taking a very close look at the frame, particularly at the front driver's side at the steering gear box, as well as at the shackle mounts at all 4 corners, as those are usually the first to go. Look closely at the bottom of the front fenders and rockers, center of the windshield frame under the glass, and anywhere that is covered by the fender flares for rust that may be starting. Also take a very close look at the floor pans. If you don't find any evidence of rust forming in those areas, and the Jeep feels solid, you will most likely have a strong base to start building on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Carbs are nothing to be scared of. I have always preferred fuel injection but adjusting a carb isn't hard and it means you can fix nearly any part on the Jeep with a hammer, a screwdriver, and some duct tape.

I'm not sure of all the trouble spots on a Jeep but it is important to check over the frame thoroughly with high mileage vehicles. The places I have heard about most are near the steering box, near the shackles, and by the rear cross-member. You will also want to look at the floor pans underneath if the Jeep still has carpet because carpet will trap water against the tub floor and allow it to rot out if the Jeep has ever had a soft top.
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06camarodude View Post
You're looking at a 4.2, I'm assuming. . . The engine isn't as powerful as the 4.0, but it is pretty torque-ey. The problems with the drivetrain that I know of are the D35 rear axle, and it has the AX15 trans (assuming it's a manual trans), which are both rather weak, but they can be replaced later on.
What??

Virtually every YJ came with a D35 rear, and the AX-15 didn't come out until mid '89 and is a vast improvement over the BA-10 that would've been stock in '88.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
midjit
1989 YJ Wrangler 

my '89 had a nice build up of oil covering everything so rust wasn't a problem for me, it has 180K on it and the problems I have gotten are stalling when coming to a stop (fixed by upgrading the Carb) hole in the gas tank (rusted through, the skid plate will keep you from being able to see that. replaced the whole tank) my suspension is pretty much shot but it is a 20 year old vehicle. all of my rubber seals (windshield and windows) are cracked but no water gets through. My starter stopped working. that is about it and I have had it for a year or so. not sure if that helps you.
midjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhaines84 View Post
Hello all i'm looking into buying my first jeep and had a few ???

First this is a 1988 Jeep with 192k on it. the body is in really good shape and there isn't all that much rust is there any part that i should keep an eye on, a hidden part that might have rust and give later on?

Second and here is the bigger one: The engine is carburated. I've never had one like that and so i was wondering what are their biggest problems, and do they run well or should i look for something newer? I was told that the carb was rebuild about 5mos ago.

thank you for any advice.
I don't think I'd be looking into buying a Jeep after I'd "had a few" .. dunno what you'd end up with ..

I still have a fondness for my old 88 4.2. If it hadn't been 'T' boned I'd still be driving it. Carbs are easy to work on (only those who are frightened of them will tell you otherwise) .. even the "POS" Carter everyone picks on. My "POS" BA-10 was still going strong after 235,000 Kms.

Only real potential problems are:
The Carter .. especially if the Jeep hasn't had the "Nutter" bypass performed.
The BA-10 isn't as strong as the AX-15 .. but if you're not going to trash it off road it's a non-issue
Internal slave cylinder means if it packs up you have to pull the tranny and xfercase to change it out.
Rust under the windshield .. look for tell-tale signs of staining around the speakers and upper dash .. also rust spots under the rubber seal where the cowl meets the windshield frame.

Does it look at all rusty underneath .. how about in the footwells under the carpet ?
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.