Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1988 carberator question and wiring (general) question

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  DonAltman3 
#1 ·
1988 4.0L I6 MT Wrangler- my father in law and I are working on this build project.

We have completely removed everything controlled by the computer and replaced all the gauges with mechanical or pressure controlled models. We are still running the original carburetor, but none of the computer controls are connected. Due to this, it runs rough. We want to replace it with a carburetor that has no electrical controls on it. We can build an adapter plate, so an exact fit is not an issue.

We are looking for a Holley, Weber, or Carter, 2 barrel, 300 CFM. Anyone have any model numbers that they think might work on our application? My initial thought was using a pre-87 carb from a CJ7, but the 86 and 85 looked like they had electrical connectors coming off of them? It looks like the CJ's didn't have a 4.0L in them (4.3L I think)? Did the Cherokees have 4.0L?

Also- general question - has anyone seen a wiring diagram for a 1988? The Haynes is not right...

#2 ·
I use the Motorcraft MC2150 so do a lot of others, there is a lot of info on this swap on the forum.

Dwayne

#4 ·
IMHO, the Holley 350cfm universal carb (7887) with the center hung float is a perfect match for the 4.2. I have mine mounted on a custom beveled adaptor plate I had made. I have a link in my sig to the thread I wrote for it.

The MC carbs work just as well.
Don't use the Weber kits. They are for Pintos. :thumbdown:

#6 ·
I replaced my Cater with a MC2100 and have very pleased with the results.

#8 ·
JEEPorado said:
Go for the pinto conversion... it works great for most :2thumbsup: :2c:
Although I do have a personal dislike for those Weber kits, they do work pretty good.
I have read that they need a little tweaking to get just right.
Not surprising as any carb would need it.

#11 ·
DonAltman3 said:
I still haven't figured out why people dont use the rochester 2ge it is a direct bolt on application that can be foudn at any parts store for about 100 bucks.
They came one all sorts of GM 6cyl motors.

Is there a reason no one is using them?
I would guess that noone has a part number.
Do you have it?

#13 ·
Can't seem to find anything that doesn't reference Holley.
I did fine one picture that looked like the MC carb and it was a refab from - Holley.

Do you have a different reference?

#15 ·
DonAltman3 said:
maybe this would help..
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbsaleapplication.htm

Check out the chevy truck.. the 6cyl trucks used a 258 with rochester set up.

http://www.carburetor.ca/carbs/kits/CK090.htm
this has a picture of the carb and carb numbers.
Wow. Talk about a wealth of information. Thank you! :tea:

I think you should give it a shot and let us all know the results.
If this rochester you mention was used in the past, it will probably work just fine once it is fabbed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.