1987 Wrangler (What can I do with what I have?) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1987 Wrangler (What can I do with what I have?)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #91
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Gremlin that was def my original plan.

Varnish I agree and don't necessarily plan on swapping tranny/races any time soon UNLESS when I lift it I run into issues. But I figured for $50 I couldn't go wrong.

But I also agree that depending on what mods I did if/when the time arose the application of the 231 has many variances. Hell, I love shifting, but considering my daughter will drive this some I'd consider the auto and a floor shifter.

SaltWaterRednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #92
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Gremlin that was def my original plan.

Varnish I agree and don't necessarily plan on swapping tranny/races any time soon UNLESS when I lift it I run into issues. But I figured for $50 I couldn't go wrong.

But I also agree that depending on what mods I did if/when the time arose the application of the 231 has many variances. Hell, I love shifting, but considering my daughter will drive this some I'd consider the auto and a floor shifter.
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #93
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I say teaching kids to drive stick makes them better drivers- less cocky, more attentive to the vehicle and conditions around it, less likely to do something stupid. It also offers better vehicle control in poor conditions.

Automatics, pushbutton parking assist, backup sensors, anti-lock brakes, traction control... Hell even automatic headights... All these systems designed to take control away from the driver and give them a false sense of knowing what they are doing.

I think they should pass a law requiring a refresher road test when renewing licenses- i mean my license gets renewed every like 4-7 years so i dont think one day off of work to take a driving test is a big deal. Its a good trafeoff for increased safety on the roadways. I live a stones throw from a major interstate and my family has been in the towing business for like 50yrs ive seen some ugly **** out here-- then again im in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, so you could certainly say ppl here have more money than brains.
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #94
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I agree with that too. And at 33, I've never had a ticket, and only one small fender bender that wasn't my fault.
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #95
StillYDGN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thats the most beautiful stock YJ ive ever seen ever . i dream about a day when my YJ looked that clean and it does too.
StillYDGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #96
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know off hand if the spline count leaving the 207 is the same as 321?
Unread 03-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #97
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look it up on Novak
http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #98
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I looked there but didn't see output splines.
Unread 03-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #99
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The input gear spline count from trans to tcase? Or the output shaft spline count for converting to larger yokes and driveshafts?

Input gear can be 21 or 23. Np207 in CJ7/YJ 84-87, but was switched sometime in 87 to the NP231AMC. Both tcases were used on the assembly line as mine has a 231 and was built a handful of Jeeps ahead if my cousins old YJ or within a few days of each other in Brampton.

The 231 is more common and enjoys more aftermarket support for common upgrades. The 207 chain is wider but the 231 can be converted to a wider chain. The 207 uses spur gears and more conventional gearing internally instead of the quieter more efficient helically cut planetary gearing in the 231 which gives the 231 a few advantages and one would argue more strength due to more of the gear's surface area meshing with other gears.

Low range is deeper in the 231. 2.72:1 vs 2.6:1 in 207.

If/when the time comes a late YJ 231J would do very well w a few goodies. There's also the option of a doubler. Or depending, a full on Atlas. But if looking to keep it original, the 231 is it.

Hope this helps.
Unread 03-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #100
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No I need the output spline count.
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #101
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry XJ 84-87, brainfart. CJ was d300 psd to 86. No idea where my head was on that one.

For yokes the splines vary but most likely they are the same as a comparable np231j. The dust shield from a 231 yoke might require modification or removal to swap on to a 207 but what information i have dug up seems to indicate theyre the same.

I *think* 26 spline but please dont quote me if im wrong : P
Unread 03-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #102
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again! Lol. I'm prob gonna do your Zone 4" lift soon. If I'm not gonna do a 231 yet I was looking into if I could still do a cv with the 207.

Put the shackles and JK rims/tires on. 1" MORE body lift hasn't come in yet. Tires are still rubbing, but I have a new set of fender flares so I'm not worried at this second.

Took her on a trip to Gulf Shores this past weekend. Had Jason Aldean tickets at the Wharf. Didn't notice really any change in drivability.
image.jpg  
Unread 03-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #103
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Awww there goes the last remaining bone stock buffalo of the great plains... Shame.

Anyway idk what it's worth to ya but I have an NP231AMC from a 258/ba10 '87 YJ sitting under my bench downstairs... It's exactly what you're after if you aren't looking at an AX15 swap just yet.

My brother works for FedEx i could inquire about shipping... If interested shoot me a pm.

It was my spare for parts but the internals don't jive w my ax15, so it's just taking up space as a spare case. I've been trying to sell off some of my extra junk partly because im preparing to move out of state in the future and because my Subaru needs a little funding at the moment. I tell ya, Subies are excellent vehicles but cost a fair amount to maintain.. Ahhh well.

The Zone is a great lift. Can't wait til i can get one under my *****.

That said can i maybe trade your non-sagging oem spring packs for a tcase? I know i need the cash (outta work since turkey day) but good springs are worthy investment, ill build my own lift.

I'd like to go spring over w stock packs and add a leafs from my worn out packs or junkyard s10 leafs. Pretty sure my r/f spring pack is S-shaped after the accident when i totaled a car with the r/f shackle area. The insurance adjuster cut me 1200 bucks for my fender bumper etc but didnt see the spring was warped or the shackle hanger cocked and my fog light missing- he probably would have totaled it if he noticed the frame. I shoulda got the lift kit w that money but i think i paid dentist bills down instead.

Growing up sucks, i dont recommend it to anybody i like.
Unread 03-19-2014, 03:56 AM   #104
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Oh she looks good btw! Idk why i was under the impression JKs used 5x5 bolt pattern or something equally incompatible.

Also i have two Weber 32/36 carbs one recently rebuilt that ill part with one or two. Again needing the cash to fund my car repairs.

Great carbs on the 258s they wake it up pretty good.

I ended up with a whoppingly oversized Holley carb because i had it on the shelf along with a rebuild kit and a cool cold air intake that only fit the Holley.
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #105
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

JKs are 5 on 5. I bought the spacer/adapters.

And you can have my springs regardless if you want. I appreciate all the info! You said shackles are bent? I just took all 4 of mine off for 3/4" greasable boomerangs. I had to cut one bolt (by gas can) but have everything else if you need them.

Also have the front blinker and fender lights (orange).

So the 231, does it need much? I'd def be interested if you are looking to pardon it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.