1987 Wrangler (What can I do with what I have?) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1987 Wrangler (What can I do with what I have?)

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #46
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to see the Jeep, but hey appreciate the pic of your girl too! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #47
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

She's a trooper! Gonna freeze her booty off with me in Destin this weekend to let me drive it! ��
SaltWaterRednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #48
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

May I ask another question... and I've been doing tons of research. But if I go with a ~3" suspension lift, I kow everyone says get the SYE and CV driveshaft. However, I have the NP207 (and yes I've read about the Tom Woods and hack mods).

My question is... how bad do I need it? If I keep my 207 could I possibly do the CV and maybe lower the Tcase?
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #49
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I ran mine for 10 years with a 4" lift, the t-case drop and my stock drive shaft. I had a little vibration under hard acceleration. Never wore out a universal though.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #50
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87
I ran mine for 10 years with a 4" lift, the t-case drop and my stock drive shaft. I had a little vibration under hard acceleration. Never wore out a universal though.
X2 i am in the same boat right now. When I do my 8.8 swap I am going to install the SYE. Mine drives fine. I have. Slight vibe at 55+ with the stock shaft, but nothing I can't live with until the axle swap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #51
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well thanks again for the real world experiences.

I would be ok with the SYE, except I have the 207. So I'm like dang, if I go 231, I might as well go AX15. And I'd rather just wait a little longer and do those together in the future.

By the way, it's a little cold, but the Jeep drove great to Destin! ��
Unread 02-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #52
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any updates?
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #53
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got a lot of small stuff done. Mainly initial servicing. Did the oil with a decent syn blend and good filter (AA Special). Added K&N air filter. Added the clear parking/turn lenses and the stainless rock guards (I always liked them).

Looking to change the Peugeot oil here ASAP, along with the 207.

Was looking at best options to re-gear and yesterday I found a guy who will swap me my 3.07 axles plus $100 for a 4.1,4.11 set from a 4cy YJ. Looks like my best/cheapest option for now, and the axles are in good shape. I had a quote last week of $1800 to convert mine :/. $100+ a few extras and a weekend of my time seems better.

I can't lie I'm not a big mudder, or rock crawler. Mainly a beach cruiser, boat hauler, off-road (slight trail) camping kind of guy. This Jeep is therapy for me and my kids.

That being said I still have a ton to do. I guess I started on some of the cheaper stuff for now because I like the look and it gives me time to research what I need to do with lift, 231, AX15 and such!

Of course a little extra $ would be nice. It's easy to spend a few hundred in accessories when a lift is $1200, small body lift with new mounts is) $150, then you do a cv shaft and finally tires/rims.

I will say though, these stock white rims are killing me! They're in pretty good shape though if anyone is interested in them or the center caps.
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #54
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Without knowing the condition of those axles you could be shooting yourself in the foot if they're broken and you trade away your good ones. You can find sets of 4cyl axles for 2-400/pair in stock trim or I've even seen the occasional 4.10 or 4.56 locked and axle'd setups from guys going one-ton for 800 or less/pr. Good deals to jump on. And my quoted figures are on the heavy side- last set i saw was 500/pr, 4.56 locked w axles. Wish i jumped on em.

Id say find a set without trading away your good ones. (your OEM d35 might even be the stronger flanged style instead of c-clip, rare but my 87 had it too.)

My opinion:
The BA10 isnt worth the oil change unless there's water in it and you gotta drive somewhere. Id concentrate on replacing it as a whole but that's because my ba10 was broken and blowing out my clutches every 6 weeks. When i took the ba10 out i chucked the tcase in the garage for a spare and quite literally picked up the ba10 and threw it as far as i could. It was therapeutic.

If you didn't buy a lift and all that yet... Id suggest a SOA on stock springs w a small leaf or two added from an S10 pack. Best bang for the buck hands down. Body lifts aren't usually necessary. If you gotta do the cab mounts then i can see justifying it but that's about it cuz im also on a tight budget.

Btw if looking for a traditional SUA lift kit, zoneoffroad.com Is my top choice. Zone is owned by BDS suspension, excellent quality kits. The truck shows on weekend tv use Zone kits for jeeps/trucks. 4" lift w accessories and shipping, literally the most complete lift ive seen, for 800 n change shipped.

I can help guide you w the ax15 swap, as I've done it and took pictures, wrote down part numbers etc.

As for driveshafts you can usually find a similar length or style CV shaft off a newer Jeep and take it to a local shop for cutting/balancing to save a ton of money. (i like Advance Adapters SYE kit and their customer service is second to none. Novak were dicks to me on the phone because i was asking technical questions instead of "how much?" prior to placing an order.)

Wheels n tires you can find good online sales.

Im excited for you i can't wait to follow more of your progress. Any questions just holler.

(disclaimer: the above is solely my opinion based on eerily similar personal experiences and not telling anybody what to do, merely suggesting what i know to be truly effective on an average Joe budget)
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #55
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just figured 3 quarts in the tranny couldn't hurt (plus it's 27 years old). Remember, it only has 15K (had a little under 12K when I got it), and runs/shifts great, so I thought I may hang onto it a little while... get some of my other stuff done, and then do the AX15, NP231.

The 1" body lift I figured would let me replace the body mounts as well, and I actually like it when the step bars are spaced a hair below the body line (not the 2-3" range).

I appreciate everyone's input and support on here. Unfortunately I never did much modifying on any of my Jeeps so I'm no Czar on data. Maybe one day. I will do a good job trying to document what I do this go-round so maybe I can help someone else out.

BTW, any easy way to see if my D35 is flanged?
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #56
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I added Nerf step bars to my 87 because the stock steps where to small and slick when wet. What a huge difference in usefulness. The kids love it and the wife loves it.

The kids like it for when we go to central texas and hit the frio river because they stand on the Nerf bars while we idle across the river. Makes em feel like they are doing crazy adventurous stuff they can't do at home, ha ha ha. No one ever thought you could fit 12 people in a yj. This thing is the hot ride at the river
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #57
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you know what to look for you can pull a brake drum or definitively pull the diff cover and look for c-clips.

Not anything to worry about right now. I forget the mileage on this... I bet most of the rubber is ok enough, so just fluids n drive it til it breaks!

Enjoy her for what she is don't worry about throwing goodies at it. If you wanted to sink dough into a YJ for the kicks of having it upgraded, then a much cheaper base vehicle would preferred like an original / good shape 95 yj... (not necessarily pristine like this 87)

Anything under 100k miles would interest me personally but i got my 87 for like 2k w 180k or so. So if i found a 95 bone stock 6cyl/5spd under 4-4500 rust free w extras (like multiple tops n doors) and clean paint id say its a deal.

My 87 w the work ive done over the years i wouldn't want less than 4-4.5 despite its kind of a turd its not too far gone yet and has tons of extras.

Idk i guess im just jealous you have a nicer base vehicle mine turns into "fix everything i broke trying to fix something else" too often.

We're here to help you not just spew opinions at you like im doing... So just keep her in good shape youre on the right track. .
Unread 03-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #58
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You'd feel fine if you know what I paid for it.

I have an issue... I'm left brained. There was a base white model on the lot in 1995 (last year ) that I wanted soo bad i had the lump in my throat when my dad told me no. They've just always been my fav.

I always like to try and buy new, and take care of... always been my motto. So, to satisfy that left brain I was considering buying all the pieces and building me a YJ (but with possibly a 4bt).

Alyways, I saw this one posted right after Christmas my wheels started turning. It was as close to new as I'd ever get. True I paid out the nose for it, but most nice YJ's still fetch top dollar. However, I have no plans to ever sell this one. Hopefully my kids will enjoy driving it when I'm too old to.

I feel ya on the fix everything I broke. I consider myself a "jack of all trades", but DEFINATELY a "master of none." I can do what I have to, but lots I'd rather leave to a professional.

Like you were discussing those axles. I was quoted $1800 to do it all and keep mine (and that's a real good shop). So I start thinking, I spend a weekend pulling my old ones, and prob a weekend putting new ones in (that's 4 days...). Then I pay him $100, but he's 3 hours away so I also burn another couple tanks of fuel. Then I prob have to at least re-do brakes and such (where mine look like new). That crap adds up fast...

I've made two trips soo far to Destin, just cruising the beach. Made my day. Haven't been able to make a ride yet with the local Jeep club as they've only gone weekends I've worked. But hey, I get a kick out of taking my daughter to tee-ball practice in it.
Unread 03-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #59
SaltWaterRednek
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Last pic I took. Added new side mirrors with the Rampage windshield bracket mount. Like the clear parking/turning lenses, did that with my '04 as well back then. Added the stainless stone guards.

Also, can't tell in this pic, but I removed all that ugly pin-stripe from the back. Used one of those Eraser Pros on my DeWalt drill... freaking awesome!!! Highly recommended.

Also, been swapping out all the bulbs for LED's (all but the 1157 because I'm not sure if they will effect my flashers). Figure with the stock alternator anything helps, plus they don't get near as hot.
img_7184.jpg  
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #60
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Beautiful

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.