JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   1987 Wrangler (What can I do with what I have?) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1987-wrangler-what-can-i-do-what-i-have-1983082/)

SaltWaterRednek 01-10-2014 09:27 PM

1987 Wrangler (What can I do with what I have?)

Hi all, and I want to start by saying it's great to be back to owning a Jeep. Also, thanks for allowing me to join the site.

This is my fourth Jeep purchase. Previously I've owned a '79 CJ-7 Quadratrac, an '83 CJ-7 I6, and a 2004 Wrangler Sport.

My recent purchase is a 1987 YJ with 12K original miles. You may have seen it, it was recently listed on Ebay through Collins Brothers Jeeps in Texas. Although I've had a few CJ-7's, I actually fell in love with YJ's and they've been my favorite Jeep ever since. I actually do not have the Jeep in my possession yet, it is being shipped to me this week. But the purchase is complete.

This Jeep just seemed too clean to pass up. So, away with my questions/concerns...

I want to build this (at least for now) as a daily driver, occasional light trail toy. Will probably pull my jet-skis & trailer & cruise the beach more than anything. However, ideally I'd like to run something along the lines of a 4" suspension lift, 1" body lift (I don't mind a small body lift, and it will give me the ability to remove the rubber mounts with poly ones), and 33" tires.

What I know...

*The I6 is a good motor. Other than try and keep it in great shape I'll prob only add the fuel-injection kit. After all it will be my daily driver, I'll love the extra power and mileage, and I hate fooling with Carbs (did that on my '83 ALL THE TIME.)
*The peugeot tranny can ROYALLY SUCK (my first main concern & question.)
Q1 - Will this tranny hold up (at least for a while) to 33's fine for my type of driving (I know I have to factor in my gearing and I'm not sure what these are yet... I will update when I know). Remember, it's pretty much
* The axles are standard D-30/35's. I think they will have no problem with what I want to use them for, but it seems there may be a few small mods that make them much more dependable (yes in the future I'd prob consider the ford 8.8 swap).
Q2 - Are there any improvements to the axles that I really need to consider?
*I'm not sure yes if the transfer case is a NP-207 or NP-231. I kow the 231 is preferred, but along with the tranny I'm wondering if it can handle the setup I desire.

Thanks in advance for the assistance. I figure there are plenty on here with experience with this equioment (I've read some horror stories.) I'm just hoping someone can help me with some insight as to the setup I'm trying to accomplish and if it's feasible.

95YJMountie 01-10-2014 09:37 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the transmission and transfer case will work fine for the set up you mentioned. The D30 will also be fine. IMO, the D35 should be fine, but there will be others that disagree with that statement. The rear axel is kind of a hit and miss. Some claim they break on speed bumps, others claim to wheel 35's hardcore and do fine. Both have happened, but id say you'll be fine.

SaltWaterRednek 01-10-2014 11:56 PM

Mountie I appreciate the response.

That's def what I had hoped to hear. I def won't be doing any hot-rodding, so knowing that tranny will be ok for now makes me feel a lot better.

JCashen 01-11-2014 02:50 AM

I only have 31s but my d35 held up until a week of ice and yanking people out of ditches, then yanking a tree up, then pulling a 18ft flat bed around 30 acre property fully loaded with junk. Result was chunk of broken spider gear and really chewed up pinion.

For what you mentioned you should be A-Okay!

fishadventure 01-11-2014 07:45 AM

I wouldn't do the body lift but if I did I would not use poly if you intend to use it DD. Poly is great for race cars IMO

Berniebikes 01-11-2014 07:58 AM

If your stock setup is working, keep it that way. If the carter carb and other components start failing then you can always consider a throttle body fuel injection conversion. Relatively cheap if you do the work, and way better than any carb setup. As for the tranny, I've got 230k on mine and it is doing fine. No hard trailing, but lots of relatively easy miles.

bigorangeyj 01-11-2014 08:11 AM

http://www.high-impact.net/nv3550_Peugeotreplmt.htm
theres an nv3550 conversion kit. its what i used, and I love it. my reverse went out 2 days after i bought mine.

Que89YJ 01-11-2014 10:29 AM

Did I get this right...12k original miles?

jeepguy85 01-11-2014 12:02 PM

The tranny should be fine. I have 200k on mine as well with no issues. That is a mix of some rough wheeling, and street driving. The NP207 is also a fine TC. It is just as good as a 231, just doesn't have the aftermarket support that the 231 does. That being said, I did swap my 207 for a 231 in preparation for an 8.8 swap. Like I said, the 231 has better aftermarket support. I found mine for $60 and drove 2 hours each way to get it. Take your time and keep an eye on craigslist and you will eventually run across a deal on one like I did. If you swap the TC and keep your tranny, you will need a 231 with a 21 spline input shaft. Good luck and welcome to the club.

SaltWaterRednek 01-12-2014 01:13 AM

Well once again that def makes me feel better about the setup for now. Appreciate all the responses.

And yes, Que, a little over 12K original miles. The Jeep is still listed on Collins Brothers Jeep's website. They are shipping it to me this week. Looks pretty clean (I sure hope so :/). I've had 2 CJ's and one new TJ, and though not a norm for a lot of folks, buy YJ's have always been my fav.

One last thing, I've read about the tranny running low on oil, and some folks raising the vent line (it supposedly blows out there.) Anyone else familiar with this?

rtillery34 01-12-2014 11:10 AM

I've got an 87 as well with stock set up by 10/5 tyranny Carter 2 blog carb. I run 32s
On mine and I still can get up to 70 mph and still 4x4 with no probs. Some easy mods I've done are: removed the track bars, body lift, custom front and rear bumpers, bolt on style fender flares, nutter bypass, ignition upgrade (cap, rotor, plugs and wires), family roll bars, new carpet kit, he headlight conversion, additional lighting. I've also replaced some additional parts just because of the mileage. Fuel pump, rear main seal, head gasket, pilot bearing, output seal on the np 231, all the fluids. Love my 87 jeep!

roadyrob 01-12-2014 11:42 AM

I saw the pic on collins bros, it does look beautiful. don't worry about the tranny, I have 135K on mine and others have even more.

booboowv77 01-12-2014 02:58 PM

My advice to you is get it, Drive it, Read, Read, and Read some more.

For the amount of lift you want I would look in to SOA and do the 8.8, and SOE all at the same time. With SOA in my opinion you will get a better ride on street and more capability off road. There is nothing worst than spending money twice.

daddyjeep87 01-12-2014 08:46 PM

Congratulations on the new YJ. The 87 had the np207 transfer case with a 23 spline input shaft, not 21. The biggest issue you have when lifting the Jeep is that there is no SYE kit available for the np207. You mentioned that you were planning fuel injection. I ran the Howell system for many years and was very happy with it.

SaltWaterRednek 01-12-2014 09:31 PM

rtillery34 - Are you running the 3.07 gears as well? And you still sling 32's fine?

daddyjeep87 - I've read the '87 came with both the 207 & 231. Being mine is early Canadian build I figure I'm getting the 207 :/. Just my luck.

Also, my ultimate plan would be...
1. Convert fron D-30 to 4.10 and get an 8.8 with 4.10. My buddy has already done this swap and can provide any insight I need.
2. If I'm gonna go throught the trouble to install the np231 I may as well spend the extra $$$ for an AX15 with the external conversion (I already spent too much on the Jeep so why not???)

The time now is 06:33 PM.