1987 Wrangler Speedometer Cable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1987 Wrangler Speedometer Cable

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Hacken
1987 YJ Wrangler 

1987 Wrangler Speedometer Cable

I would like to give a bit of info on the speedo cable for an 87 wrangler that can be hard to find because no one seemed to make one listed for that particular year. This can be found in other threads but I hoped to make it simpler to find.
Dorman makes the cable that can be used with the proper ends necessary for and 87 wrangler. The part # is 03269 and can be purchased through Advance Auto for about $25.00.

Hacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Nerfz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would look at 87 wranglers and 86 cj7's to see if the part is the same for both...If it is the same you know your good...If not then I would double check your current cable to match it up if possible...
Because that is the one thing that stinks about 87's A lot of the parts were from the year before and the auto part stores have the wrong listings....
Nerfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
tgnorwhal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

is the end of the cable that connects to the T case supposed to be loose? was having issue of the speedometer working and then not. got down there wiggled it a little then tried hand-tightening the nut. seems to be working okay. just wondering if that connection can get loose and make the speedometer quit, or could it be a bad cable?

thanks
tgnorwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Hacken
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Im sorry i dont check this enough. No that cable should not be loose. Depending on how loose it was im sure that could have been your problem. the actual cable end is square and gets inserted into a small plastic gear that is run by the spinning tail shaft in the transfer case. the plastic gear is the one you would change if you were worried about oversize tires affecting your speedometer calibration.
Hacken is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.