1987 Jeep Wrangler NOOB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1987 Jeep Wrangler NOOB

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
usmcrecon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

1987 Jeep Wrangler NOOB

Hello all,

I am a first time Jeep owner and purchased a 1987 Jeep Wrangler with a I6 4.2L. I was having issues with it idling rough and stalling when stopping at lights. I have pulled the carb and was informed that the throttle body could be an issue as well.

I could take it to someone to fix as I am not a mechanic; however, I would like to fix the dang thing myself. I bought this as a hunting vehicle for my newly purchased ranch. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I would like it to be dependable and street worthy.

Could someone lead me in the right direction as to the fix for this vehicle. A couple of people suggested getting it running, selling it and purchasing another model Jeep. If this is the case cool, I'll do it. These suggestions came from persons that owned a Jeep dealership, so I am looking for unbiased suggestions.

I have yet to figure out where to find the throttle body and am not finished with the carb rebuild.

Thanks all!

M.A.

usmcrecon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome. Check out the FAQ section in the stickies. Lots of information there.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

First, I would ask you to fill out your profile
Next, What kind of carb are you dealing with? the stock one?
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The 87 4.2 doesn't have a throttle body, it should have a carb. The stock cater carbs are junk and are noted to be problematic. One of the best replacement carbs is a ford motorcraft. There's a guy on ebay that sells them ready to bolt onto a jeep and totally rebuilt with great customer service. I have a holley 470 4 barrel on my 87 that works awesome, but I have alot of hipo parts as well to handle the 4 barrel. Ditching the carter is a good place to start if thats what you have on there.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and the one you have will work great for what you want it for. mine is a daily and works fine but i put another carb on it too, also a holley but a two barrel variant from a 68 dodge. works great now
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
sqheadlights
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get some tools and a manual, post up questions and review the advice, and Keep The Jeep....
sqheadlights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcrecon View Post
Could someone lead me in the right direction as to the fix for this vehicle. A couple of people suggested getting it running, selling it and purchasing another model Jeep. If this is the case cool, I'll do it. These suggestions came from persons that owned a Jeep dealership, so I am looking for unbiased suggestions.
Hah, they just want to sell you a car that looks like a Jeep.

Anyway, get the carb rebuild finished up and see if it helps. If not you may just need a tuneup. All good things to do on a new to you Jeep anyway. Learning to do all your own work is kind of a right of passage with an older Jeep, they are too expensive to own if you have to use a mechanic for everything, IMHO. Plus its a good learning experience, I like to be as self reliant as possible.

Back on point, how does it run other than the idle issue?

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.