1987 Jeep Wrangler NOOB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1987 Jeep Wrangler NOOB

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
usmcrecon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

1987 Jeep Wrangler NOOB

Hello all,

I am a first time Jeep owner and purchased a 1987 Jeep Wrangler with a I6 4.2L. I was having issues with it idling rough and stalling when stopping at lights. I have pulled the carb and was informed that the throttle body could be an issue as well.

I could take it to someone to fix as I am not a mechanic; however, I would like to fix the dang thing myself. I bought this as a hunting vehicle for my newly purchased ranch. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I would like it to be dependable and street worthy.

Could someone lead me in the right direction as to the fix for this vehicle. A couple of people suggested getting it running, selling it and purchasing another model Jeep. If this is the case cool, I'll do it. These suggestions came from persons that owned a Jeep dealership, so I am looking for unbiased suggestions.

I have yet to figure out where to find the throttle body and am not finished with the carb rebuild.

Thanks all!

M.A.

usmcrecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome. Check out the FAQ section in the stickies. Lots of information there.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

First, I would ask you to fill out your profile
Next, What kind of carb are you dealing with? the stock one?
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The 87 4.2 doesn't have a throttle body, it should have a carb. The stock cater carbs are junk and are noted to be problematic. One of the best replacement carbs is a ford motorcraft. There's a guy on ebay that sells them ready to bolt onto a jeep and totally rebuilt with great customer service. I have a holley 470 4 barrel on my 87 that works awesome, but I have alot of hipo parts as well to handle the 4 barrel. Ditching the carter is a good place to start if thats what you have on there.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and the one you have will work great for what you want it for. mine is a daily and works fine but i put another carb on it too, also a holley but a two barrel variant from a 68 dodge. works great now
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
sqheadlights
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get some tools and a manual, post up questions and review the advice, and Keep The Jeep....
sqheadlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcrecon View Post
Could someone lead me in the right direction as to the fix for this vehicle. A couple of people suggested getting it running, selling it and purchasing another model Jeep. If this is the case cool, I'll do it. These suggestions came from persons that owned a Jeep dealership, so I am looking for unbiased suggestions.
Hah, they just want to sell you a car that looks like a Jeep.

Anyway, get the carb rebuild finished up and see if it helps. If not you may just need a tuneup. All good things to do on a new to you Jeep anyway. Learning to do all your own work is kind of a right of passage with an older Jeep, they are too expensive to own if you have to use a mechanic for everything, IMHO. Plus its a good learning experience, I like to be as self reliant as possible.

Back on point, how does it run other than the idle issue?

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.