1987 Jeep Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1987 Jeep Wrangler

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
caseyhopkins12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

1987 Jeep Wrangler

I have a problem... I am 17 years old and bought my dream jeep at an early age. The problem I am having is that my jeep is making this nasty noice when it is starting. It is not the starter, I have replaced it many times. Also the flex plate looks good, no broken teeth. I have no idea what the problem is and its driving me crazy. 87 Jeep YJ 4.2L Straight 6 automatic. HELP!!

caseyhopkins12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
wannafixmyjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

4.2 v6????
wannafixmyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
caseyhopkins12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

straight 6 sorry! haha
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If I remember right mine had a shim between the starter and housing. Mine is a 2.5l so it might not apply. But if the teeth are mashing it would make a weird noise.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the 6 might have a shim also. my parts 6 came with a shim so maybe yours is missing it? my bmw made a horrible racket till i put that shim in on it so maybe that is your trouble
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

X2 with the shim! it will stop the racket
liftedyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
caseyhopkins12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i did put shims in... 1 some what thick washer on each side, brought it out about an 1/8 inch
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

no factory shims for the 87, they use the ford style starters like the CJ's. I have done quite a bit of reading on this as mine is loud too. changing starter brand from autozone to napa helped some but its still pretty loud.
there are quite a few different opinions on why some are loud and some aren't. some people claim to have fixed the problem with a new ring gear even though it didn't show wear, others claim its the thin plate between the bell housing and the tranny being warped and fixed it by putting a thin washer between the starter and plate on one side, depending on how the plate is warped it could be either bolt. while others claimed it is bad grounds or cables.
my plan is to live with it till I do a tranny upgrade then repace the ring gear and see if that helps. I sure get a lot of funny looks when I start it.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

what worked for one of my friends is we loosened the mounting bolts to the starter and while one of us pushed the starter up and towards the motor and one of us tightened the bolts up. Seemed to help it quite alot.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
caseyhopkins12
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Whats weird is that the starting is getting worse. Almost to the point where it wont start. I pulled off the starter and the teeth were grinded down... a lot. Is it possible that the flex plate was installed backwards? or that the flex plate is loose? I bought a new flex plate a while ago because I thought that's what the problem was but it looks pretty good.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I can't remember the details but there was a couple guys last year with a prob like this... turns out they had 2 different starters. The difference was, that one would only stick the gear out so far, and the other one would stick it way out. You can tell by looking at exactly how the gear chews - if its just on one edge, or on the "corner" of the teeth then you need the other starter that sticks it out farther.

Only other thing that it could be (I think) is something wrong with the flex plate. I've heard of them bending or cracking.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had this problem with the 4.3.
Heres some paragraphs from my swap

Back when I removed the 4.3 I broke the starter and had to replace it. THere was a problem installing the started from the get go like it didnt fit correctly.
Now when I turn the starter it makes a terrible binding noise againt the flywheel but turns the motor over.
Removed the starter and activated it to make sure its fully working correctly. It is.
Looking closer at the starter teeth they look to not match the teeth on the flywheel like they are too big.
This explaines why I cant get the starter to mesh in and bolt on the way it should.
Just the edges of the starter teeth have marks on them like they are pushing the flywheel just enough to turn the motor over.

Bought a 9 tooth starter but its redesigned and recomended by the auto parts store. It bolted up very easy but theres another problem.
I has zero function.
THe meter shows power going to the starter when the keys turned to run.
Im bring the starter to autozone to get it tested tomorrow. Just another roadblock

Woke up at 4:00 this morning to see if I could figure out the problem. I usually get up at 5. Bench tested the starter but this time tried the other small stud and it worked.
Installed the starter and the motor turns over nicel

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Folks,
I've been through this a couple of times.
The 87 4.2l takes a certain starter.
Problem is the 4cyl starter (my guess) can be mistaken for the 6cyl starter easily.
The Zoo (AutoZone) has had it mixed up for years.
I had the manager convinced, but thier corporate management wouldn't listen to her.

To tell the difference, look at the aluminum housing OD and compare it to the OD of the metal case of the starter drive. If they are the exact same size, it's the wrong one. If the alum housing is slightly larger in OD than the metal case, it's the right one. It is a noticible difference in size, but not really that much.

If you have the right starter and it's still grinding, it's not aligned correctly.
Another commented above on pushing it close to the block.
It's true. I've had to do it many tiimes with 2 different transmissions.
I've been able to figure out the 87 flywheel is specific, but that's for a clutch.
I don't know about the flexplate on an automatic.

HTH -

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyhopkins12 View Post
I pulled off the starter and the teeth were grinded down... a lot
So there is the bad news - if you shine a light in there, are the teeth on the flexplate ground down, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyhopkins12 View Post
i did put shims in... 1 some what thick washer on each side, brought it out about an 1/8 inch

That could be a problem if the NOSE of the starter gear is worn out - shimming it would potentially cause that.

Shoot a picture of the teeth on the starter and I'll bet money that someone on here can look at it and tell you what you need to shim and where OR whether or not you've got the wrong (4 Cyl) starter

Enjoy!
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , flex plate , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.