1987 4.2 engine noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1987 4.2 engine noise

CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Ford73
1985 CJ7 

1987 4.2 engine noise

well after many months of working on my jeep finally found the time to drive it for the first time this past weekend. Took it for a nice long ride and the problems started arising. The main one i am concerned with is the noise coming from the engine once it gets up to operating temp. Sounds like a really bad valve tap coming from one of the rear cylinders, However it is very strange as it is very inconsistent in sound. Oil pressure cold reading off the gauge on my dash is around 50 psi. Once warmed up it will drop to 40 or so. Noise only happens when completely warm. When engine is first started its extremely quiet. I did the timing chain rear main and oil pan gaskets that same weekend but i am not expecting that to be an issue. If you guys have any suggestions as to where to start i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Ford73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

your oil pressure is good at 13 psi at idle when warm, so I wouldn't worry about 40psi on the gauge.

I can't guarantee it, but you may have a leaking exhaust manifold. As it warms up, the hole gets bigger so you get ticking. See if you can find a leak.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Ford73
1985 CJ7 

Ya i thought it was an exhaust leak at first but its defiantly not. Are lifters a common failure point on these engines.
Unread 06-25-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My worn water pump makes the same noise from time to time. It weirdly sounds like a valve tap, rattles a bit then settles down. I'll be replacing the pump in a few weeks, after I return from vacation.
Unread 06-25-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

lifters are often very noisy in this engine. I wouldn't really call them a common failure point though.

If you think it is valve noise, you should pop the cover off and see if anything is loose. try to move the rockers with your hands. Look for snapped rods. Run the engine with the valve cover off and make sure oil is reaching the top of the rockers.

If the engine isn't used a lot, Sometimes these things can be quieted down by flushing good quality oil through. When I first got mine it had valve tick. After running the engine a lot and changing mobil-1 10w30 a couple times, it is significantly quieter. It is much cleaner under the valve cover now. I think a lot of the old thickened oil build up (from sitting) has washed away. There was probably nothing special about mobil-1, and it probably had to do entirely with changing the oil and running the engine. A lot of people seem to have similar luck with running rotella. I've also heard using some diesel to clean the old thick oil buildup away helps a bit as well (use the diesel to clean when the valve cover is off).
Unread 06-26-2015, 02:07 AM   #6
ckruzer
Jeremiah 33:3

1987 YJ Wrangler 

does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqtK2Auc2sc

Phillipians 3:20 - "For our citizenship is in Heaven..."

My President is Jesus
ckruzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That Jeep in the video sounded more like it was misfiring or cross firing. Perhaps it's time for the Team Rush upgrade and a tune up?
Unread 06-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

listening with a piece of heater hose is a good way to locate noises. like mechman I have a noisy waterpump, I can spray the bearing with WD 40 and get it to quit.
IF your noise is a lifter you should be able to tell by listening with a hose from your ear to the side of the block.
FYI, stay away from autozone waterpumps, this will be the second time I've changed it in about 14months. I'll be getting a NAPA pump this time.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
listening with a piece of heater hose is a good way to locate noises. like mechman I have a noisy waterpump, I can spray the bearing with WD 40 and get it to quit.
IF your noise is a lifter you should be able to tell by listening with a hose from your ear to the side of the block.
FYI, stay away from autozone waterpumps, this will be the second time I've changed it in about 14months. I'll be getting a NAPA pump this time.
so many people are just recommending going straight to the mopar replacement. haven't heard anything bad about the NAPA one, but I have heard about a lot of problems with the autozone pumps (and all of their other parts too...)
Unread 06-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
ckruzer
Jeremiah 33:3

1987 YJ Wrangler 

my water pump made quite a bit of noise. had to pull it because bearing gave and leaked water. ordered the nice one from morris. the video shows a valve noise which only happens on the exhaust valve side of head. im a fan of using a 12in socket extension. i place the top behind the ear

Phillipians 3:20 - "For our citizenship is in Heaven..."

My President is Jesus
ckruzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
Ford73
1985 CJ7 

Well just got done popping the head off my engine and pulled all lifters out. Once i started taking the lifters apart i felt like i struck gold. Couple of the pistons were stuck in the bore of the lifter found a couple broken springs aswell. none of the lifters had the spring to them once you took the retaining clip out either. Also a load of sludge which as you could imagine I'm not thrilled about but we will make do.
Unread 06-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Ford73
1985 CJ7 

You guys have any recomendation as far as lifter brand OEM vs aftermarket
Unread 06-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ugh ,the sludge is probably what destroyed it to begin with.

I wish people knew that if the vehicle is going to sit unused, it should have full synthetic motor oil.
Unread 06-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134
so many people are just recommending going straight to the mopar replacement. haven't heard anything bad about the NAPA one, but I have heard about a lot of problems with the autozone pumps (and all of their other parts too...)

The only problem I have with Napa is their warranties. One year bull**** and they are always priced way higher than autozone.
Unread 06-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #15
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
The only problem I have with Napa is their warranties. One year bull**** and they are always priced way higher than autozone.
yah, the autozone waterpump has great life time warranty. looks really good too, aluminum, new not rebuilt. BUT, IF I went with them it would be the 3rd pump in 14 months. I'll take my chances with NAPA. would love to get a mopar but I have vbelts and all I can find is serpentine.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.