1987 2.5: starter relay wiring ? hints and tips anyone ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1987 2.5: starter relay wiring ? hints and tips anyone ?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
intenseblu
1987 YJ Wrangler 

1987 2.5: starter relay wiring ? hints and tips anyone ?

anyone have 1987 2.5L starter relay wiring diagram or photo ... i have pictures of mine before i took it all apart but dammit i did not get a good shot.

it has one terminal with a nut for what looks like a heavy duty power supply cable, and then three (if i remember correctly, truck is few miles away) spade connectors).

i searched the forums using google search and found a photo of the CJ version but theirs supplys the starter directly ... looks like ours has power supplied to the solenoid from battery and then a tiny cable that connect to the relay that activates the solenoid.

BTW ... i put most of it back together today ... looks great ... but will potentially smoke due to #2 looking not so hot ... so may be swapping blocks soon as its cheaper than machine work in my area.

intenseblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

If you take a pic of what you have, I may be able to help you out. I have the wiring diagram, I just don't have it in the computer.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseblu
anyone have 1987 2.5L starter relay wiring diagram or photo ... i have pictures of mine before i took it all apart but dammit i did not get a good shot.

it has one terminal with a nut for what looks like a heavy duty power supply cable, and then three (if i remember correctly, truck is few miles away) spade connectors).

i searched the forums using google search and found a photo of the CJ version but theirs supplys the starter directly ... looks like ours has power supplied to the solenoid from battery and then a tiny cable that connect to the relay that activates the solenoid.

BTW ... i put most of it back together today ... looks great ... but will potentially smoke due to #2 looking not so hot ... so may be swapping blocks soon as its cheaper than machine work in my area.

I'm gonna tell you this, only because it's gonna benefit you.

The "big" one is the one that gets power directly from the battery. So, yes...."a heavy duty power supply cable."

The two smaller ones....well that's the funny part. One does nothing, the other will let the rig start. Not sure on why they did it that way...but they did. How do I know this.....

My 350 swap I'm doing. I had all the wires connected, had the starter wired up, went to start it...nothing. damnit! It started when I pulled it from the donor, so it should work right???? Well....back to those two smaller studs. One does nothing...the other powers the starters. Soooo, long story short after I pulled the starter out, was about to replace it...I noticed that the threads on the "other" small stud were not corroded, and looked more "fresh." Low and behold, put the starter back in, wired it back together, used the other small stud......boom, started. Look closely at the smaller stud's threads. You should be able to see that one has no rust/dirt/etc in the threads. Thats probably the one you had to pull that little bitty hard to hold/find nut off of.

So, in conclusion. Learn from my craptastiartickery. The big stud gets the big wire. The two smaller studs....try them both, one works, one doesn't. Easy enough.
Unread 09-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
intenseblu
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i 'm heading off to work on it now ... will take a picture with my phone if i can't figure it out ...
intenseblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
NEPhillyJeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have had the same thing happen to me and Haynes doesn't really tell you much. Luck I actually have my Haynes manual here at work and I drew out the wires in my notes.

Looking at the starter relay you have the big post that is right from the battery. Then on the right side there are two metal tabs the top one is is the wht/grn wire, the connection below that is black. and the last one is the solid green that goes to the connection at the left that is slanted.

I just hope you can still make out the colours of the wires... Good luck to ya...
NEPhillyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
kingoldspice

stumped also

I wish someone would clear this whole issue up once and for all.
nobody seems to know which wires go where.
I to have a jeep that just had the carb rebuilt along with a bunch of other work done to it.
just wish I could get it running.
new starter relay but god knows if it's wired right.
kingoldspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Starter relay

Here is a generic description of all the relay layout for a Jeep with the square relay(I am assuming that is what you are talking about). Almost all the relays are ground switched for controlling operation so you will always have 2 supplies 1 for supplying the device and a second feed for the coil that the ground will control.
87 - Supply out to device
30 - Battery feed to the relay to feed the device being operated
85 - Ground for the coil controlling contact between 30 and 87/ control
86 - Power for the coil controlling 30 and 87 - switch by the ASD or ignition switch when key is turned on.

This is a little different but it might help. I dont have a schematic for the starter system:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...sebring-engine
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoldspice View Post
I wish someone would clear this whole issue up once and for all.
nobody seems to know which wires go where.
I to have a jeep that just had the carb rebuilt along with a bunch of other work done to it.
just wish I could get it running.
new starter relay but god knows if it's wired right.
What year???? Please fill out your rig specs in your profile. You also have the 4.2 if you have a carb. The info in this thread is for the 2.5. Totally different wiring.
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

starter

Here is one more link
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/need-help-starter-relay-wiring-761373/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.