136a alternator upgrade - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 136a alternator upgrade

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 10-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #16
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thankful bump

Unread 10-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #17
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134 View Post
Thanks for the follow-up guys. Having an older YJ, I wasn't aware that the newer models had the Nippon-Denso units. I imagine this is also when they did the swap from internally to externally regulated units.

Now that I have done some more digging, I plan to go with a 105 amp CS130 unit. Should be enough for me, seeing that I currently have a 76 amp 12si model.
The XJ/MJ:
- 1984-1986 had the Delco SI (12SI, I believe) alternator
- 1987-1990 had the Delco CS130 (some 4-150 engines had the Delco CS121.)
- 1991-up got the Nippondenso.

The YJ got the Delco 12SI through 1990, went to the ND for 1991-up.
All TJ got the Nippondenso.
All ZJ got the Nippondenso (in two frame sizes, the V8s were slightly larger, since they had higher output.) Ditto the WJ and WK.

The Delco SI and CS series are both internally regulated, while all of the Nippondenso alternators used by ChryCo were externally regulated (with the regulator inbuilt into the PCM.)

They won't change over as a "drop-in swap" - using a Delco in place of the ND will throw a persistent code (since the PCM won't pick up on the field switching actually doing anything,) and swapping the Nippondenso in place of the Delco will require the addition of an external regulator (nearly any unit will work - many people use an early Chrysler external regulator, and the Prestolite marine-grade units are also quite common.)
Unread 10-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #18
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

whoops.
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #19
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up Dirt!

There used to be a write up on this, on some Canadian website, but it disappeared from the internet. Que managed to copy it, and posted on a different thread. Maybe this will help with some questions, you guys planning to do this might have.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c.../#post14756227
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.