10in to 9 in brakes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 10in to 9 in brakes

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 01-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
y87j
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Okay good ...and do I have to get a new seal on the shaft axle?

y87j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

not unless they are leaking
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you putting the 9-inch brakes on the older 10-inch axle? In that case, you shouldn't even have c-clips on the 10-inch.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
y87j
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I got two axles mine from my 87 yj did mot have one ...I yet to take spray my new one that I believe was from a 4cyl 94 ...I guesse ill figure out this weekend
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Guy with your set up you are going to make a setup that you will not like and is dangerous. First of all what you are saving in cost is going to cost you in the long run. Smaller brakes will wear fast and are less force to stop you. The heat fade is going to cause you problems on stopping.
If you are cheapening out you are not doing yourself any favors. You might not want to hear this. You really should look at the higher performance vehicles They all have large brakes either disc brake or drums, now why would they do this??? Because with your thinking and pursuit of this change from 10 to 9 does go against all logical thought patterns.
Sorry if I'm seem of being brash about this. You seem to past up my first post. But I'm glad of one thing that you live far enough away from any of my family. But I might meet you by accident. Because I drive a truck and come in the area you are. My only blessing is that you will that battle. Now you have been fairly warned about your actions. You can do as you wish. You already have a weak braking design with 33" tires.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Guy with your set up you are going to make a setup that you will not like and is dangerous. First of all what you are saving in cost is going to cost you in the long run. Smaller brakes will wear fast and are less force to stop you. The heat fade is going to cause you problems on stopping.
If you are cheapening out you are not doing yourself any favors. You might not want to hear this. You really should look at the higher performance vehicles They all have large brakes either disc brake or drums, now why would they do this??? Because with your thinking and pursuit of this change from 10 to 9 does go against all logical thought patterns.
Sorry if I'm seem of being brash about this. You seem to past up my first post. But I'm glad of one thing that you live far enough away from any of my family. But I might meet you by accident. Because I drive a truck and come in the area you are. My only blessing is that you will that battle. Now you have been fairly warned about your actions. You can do as you wish. You already have a weak braking design with 33" tires.

Really...... ???? so all the 92 and up jeeps who came factory with the 9in brakes and all the cherokees 92 and up that came from the factory with 9in brakes............. ON THE REAR which not to mention fact that the rear brakes are only 30% of the stopping power your gonna make this a big deal...? then you better write jeep and letter
Unread 01-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
y87j
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just ran into a problem their is five studs on one and now their is 4 on another
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
Really...... ???? so all the 92 and up jeeps who came factory with the 9in brakes and all the cherokees 92 and up that came from the factory with 9in brakes............. ON THE REAR which not to mention fact that the rear brakes are only 30% of the stopping power your gonna make this a big deal...? then you better write jeep and letter
Where are you facts to backup your statements?
I understand about the percentages. Your logic still baffles me. Why go to a lesser of a brake system? When you have what it takes to make it make it better because of money.

As far as jeep goes they do not install 33" tires. Which you say you have. So with that you have modified your jeep still running an unmodified brake system and now you are going to do is make less than it was. Where is the logic in this. Please explain.

I'm not attacking you just trying to get you to make a sound logical decision on what you doing.
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y87j View Post
Just ran into a problem their is five studs on one and now their is 4 on another
Thats weird - is there a stud broken or missing? Because as far as I know, jeep has always had 5 studs. Are you sure you've got the right parts?
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #25
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^ i believe he is talking about the studs on the axle Tube and not the studs on the wheels.

ive always seen 4 studs, never a 5 .... yet.

my 98 grand cherokee dana 35 even has 4 studs

Unread 01-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #26
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Where are you facts to backup your statements?
I understand about the percentages. Your logic still baffles me. Why go to a lesser of a brake system?
what facts would you like... ill be glad to send you links?

all the Dana 35 C Clip axles have the 9in rear drums or disc brakes
all of the Dana 35 Bolt in axles have the 10in drums.
Our jeeps Front disc brakes is 70% and the rear Drums is 30% of the stopping power.

so what you are saying is every single person who has put bigger tires on their 92 and up jeep is a road hazard because they have 9in rear drums??

trust me i understand what you were trying to say , that why downgrade when you already have a upgrade.
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #27
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what facts would you like... ill be glad to send you links?

all the Dana 35 C Clip axles have the 9in rear drums or disc brakes
all of the Dana 35 Bolt in axles have the 10in drums.
Our jeeps Front disc brakes is 70% and the rear Drums is 30% of the stopping power.

so what you are saying is every single person who has put bigger tires on their 92 and up jeep is a road hazard because they have 9in rear drums??

trust me i understand what you were trying to say , that why downgrade when you already have a upgrade.
I do not understand why you even came into the picture of this. If you are agreeing with what I posted. Then why say anything?

Really they should improve their brake system before going up in tire size for many reasons. A stock braking system is just enough to stop the jeep in it's basic for. Then you add extra leverage with a larger tire. As in the case of the OP what he has done by add 33' tire is adding about 20% or more, less braking power then stock system is in stock form. Now he is taking a system that is not up to do the job and making it worst. Sorry this does not make sense to me. I see how people drive everyday tailgating other. Brake system is where one should not take the easy way out. Or say yeah they will stop me in their present form, they say that will not happen to me. I have heard any and every excuse to cheap out on their brakes.
Unread 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #28
y87j
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
^ i believe he is talking about the studs on the axle Tube and not the studs on the wheels.

ive always seen 4 studs, never a 5 .... yet.

my 98 grand cherokee dana 35 even has 4 studs

Yeah they had four but it did not seem to line up... I had the adjustment for the drum on the top..shouldi have put it on the bottom like urs?
Unread 01-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y87j View Post
Yeah they had four but it did not seem to line up... I had the adjustment for the drum on the top..shouldi have put it on the bottom like urs?
Sounds like you had it upside down then.. basically it'll only go one way. Try it an see.
Unread 01-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #30
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

adjuster goes on bottom. just like my pic,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.