100 degrees this coming friday - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 100 degrees this coming friday

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-21-2005, 11:43 PM   #1
joeygeep

100 degrees this coming friday

so i was going to finally put a soft top on my yj until i tried to screw in those brackets up top in front of the windshiled where the top flap kinda fits into and realized that most of the holes are stripped and i cant keep those two pieces down. any ideas on what i should do? its suppose to be up to 100 degrees this friday in chicago and i dont wnat my hardtop on lol?

Unread 06-22-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
PsychoRNGD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

go topless

Next Modifications[list][*]Custom Bumpers[*]On-board air[*]New marine sound system[/list]
PsychoRNGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 02:11 AM   #3
rsoffar

same thing he said go topless just dont forget the doors so you can get the full breeze!
rsoffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
joeygeep

yea but i wanna put the soft top on lol for when it rains loll sumone help lol
Unread 06-22-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Either drill new holes or use bigger screws.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Ryno98

It seems like I saw a kit on quadratec or somewhere that can help remedy the situation with some kind of drill out insert or something. Never tried it so I don't know for sure.
Unread 06-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just did this as 3 of my holes were stripped and i was getting a shower during heavy rain events. I used pan head phillips sheet metal screws i got at lowes. im afraid i tore through the actual description getting them out but the Part number is #881932 . Went in the existing stripped holes and tightened perfectly..no distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
joeygeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper
I just did this as 3 of my holes were stripped and i was getting a shower during heavy rain events. I used pan head phillips sheet metal screws i got at lowes. im afraid i tore through the actual description getting them out but the Part number is #881932 . Went in the existing stripped holes and tightened perfectly..no distortion.
so wut size r the screws stock? and what size did u end up getting?
Unread 06-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
admar2

use bigger screws?

seems like a simple enough solution to me.

why use the top anyways. if its gonna be 100 degrees, any rain you get will just cool ya off!

admar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeygeep
so wut size r the screws stock? and what size did u end up getting?
Dont know the stock size. I just took it in and compared. When i tore the screws out of the package i ripped through the size description. All i can tell ya is part num in above post and package reads 12 x 1/2 then big smear and tear over last part of the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
joeygeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admar2
use bigger screws?

why use the top anyways. if its gonna be 100 degrees, any rain you get will just cool ya off!

no thats what i thought too with bigger screws but people are telling me not too. i kno what ur saying about going topless but my point is i would like to have the softtop on for the rest of the summer so i can put my hardtop away till october
Unread 06-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
Goku
1947 CJ2A 

I had the same prob- took about 2 minutes to drill in a few new screw holes...

although lately I've been going topless...

story time:
yesterday I was driving along and felt this splash hit me right in the forhead.... I feared the worst (@#$%@# birds!!!) and as I leaned over to look in the mirror I got hit with more raindrops... turns out it was just starting to rain (which was odd since the only clouds looks miles away- guess the wind carried it prety far...

anyway... I like going topless- just be sure to have a good pair of sunglasses.
Unread 06-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #13
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by admar2
use bigger screws?

Bigger screws only work for so long before they start stripping out as well. I know, I've tried.

Why use the top? Shade. Unless he prefers sunburns and skin cancer. That's the main reason I bought my bikini top. Even then I still have to slap on some screen to keep my arms and legs from getting scorched in the later afternoon.

As for a permanent fix... something like this seems to work well for most people I've talked to. http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgi...M=00&checked=Y

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #14
wild_weazel

The stock size is a #8, at least on mine.
wild_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 08:55 PM   #15
OlllllllO Jeep1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeygeep
so i was going to finally put a soft top on my yj until i tried to screw in those brackets up top in front of the windshiled where the top flap kinda fits into and realized that most of the holes are stripped and i cant keep those two pieces down. any ideas on what i should do? its suppose to be up to 100 degrees this friday in chicago and i dont wnat my hardtop on lol?
100 degrees! I seen a high of 91 on Fri. Well anyway if it gets that hot you might want to put on a snorkel and drive into lake michigan. If it does get that hot. I would suggest that you stay indoors with the AC and forget about the Jeep. until night when it cools off.
OlllllllO Jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.