10 gals of gas and 115 miles??? Stock 4cyl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 10 gals of gas and 115 miles??? Stock 4cyl

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-11-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
AWILD

10 gals of gas and 115 miles??? Stock 4cyl

Ok this was the first highway trip I took back to my home 1.5hrs away from school. I filled up the tank from about a quarter tank. Drove about 75-80mph in 5th gear most of the way on the expressway. When I got home (115 miles) I was back down at a quarter of a tank. This used just over 10 gallons of gas that I had put in.

The stock 4cyl is rated at 18/20 for manual and I am getting around half of that. Any thoughts? I really need to fix this issue.

AWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWILD
Ok this was the first highway trip I took back to my home 1.5hrs away from school. I filled up the tank from about a quarter tank. Drove about 75-80mph in 5th gear most of the way on the expressway. When I got home (115 miles) I was back down at a quarter of a tank. This used just over 10 gallons of gas that I had put in.

The stock 4cyl is rated at 18/20 for manual and I am getting around half of that. Any thoughts? I really need to fix this issue.
yeah, stay away from 75-80 mph. seriously. but even then that's a bit low. do a full tune up: plugs, wires, dist, rotor, O2 sensor if it's due, oil change and filter, fuel filter, and air filter. run a bottle of injector cleaner through the tank and see if all that does any good. if not, there's probably something else going wrong, maybe a clogged cat, bad sensor or something similar. also, if you're running bigger tires then stock, adjust the milage for that and expect to get below the manuf. rated (16/19 is more realistic)

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
angler

i've found with either the four or six, any faster than 65, and it sucks the gas. try driving a tankful without going over that and you will be amazed at the difference. i get 21 with my 4.0, and that is without going over 65. i travel 70 miles round trip to work each day, and if i run at 70, my mileage drops to about 17. i ripped the wire off the o2 sensor when wheeling once, and my mileage dropped to 14. might want to change it if it hasn't been done in a while.
angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
AWILD

I'll probably do the full tune up, o2, oil deal this week. I just bought the Jeep a week ago so I havent had much time to get into it.
AWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Speed kills gas mileage. Jeeps are not aerodynamic and there's a lot of loss due to drag. The relationship between velocity and drag is a not linear one, more like exponential. So what do most of us do to a vehicle that not aerodynamic to begin with? Lift and larger tires. Fortunately most of us don't buy them for their gas mileage or comfort.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
myndphuct
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In addition to the tune-up and such, I've gotten a very noticeable increase in mileage since switching from the clutch fan setup to an electric fan for cooling. Freed up a noticeable bit of hp too.....nothing dramatic, but I can definately get up to cruising speeds quicker.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.