1/4 elliptical! pros vs contras??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1/4 elliptical! pros vs contras???

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Rabbitsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1/4 elliptical! pros vs contras???

I got impressed about the 1/4 elliptical and i want to make it in my Yj.
i want to know what is the disvantage to have that system in my daily use vehicle, also i take it out to highway sometimes ( around 55mph max).
Every answer will be thanked

Rabbitsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

As with everything there are pros and cons.

Pros:
-Its new again. With everyone going coils you dont see them as often.
-They wont fall out like some coils.
-They dont stack like coils.
-You dont have the mounting issues like coilovers have. Anything less then 12"-14" travel unit is a waste. Mounting coilovers that long in the rear, that wont fold when flexed, creates some challenges.
-Definitely cheaper then coilovers.

Cons:
-You are kind of stuck with however your ride is. You can add or subtract leaves but coils are easier to quantify with spring rates.
-You still need to work out link geometry just like any other suspension other then full leaf springs.
-Although easier to fit then coilovers you will still need to mount shocks with sufficient travel. Mounting them / \ can work but can lead to body roll.
-If you find an anti-sway bar is needed then there winds up being a struggle for real-estate under there.
-Routing exhaust can be a pain.
-Will have to rework the front as well.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Rabbitsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I can still use it as daily use vehicle in city and also take it to highway sometimes? dont lose stability?
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Contras? Up up down down left right left right B A select start

Now for your question, just to clarify. Are we talking 1/4 eliptical with a 4 link and ~1/2 a leaf spring, or 3/4 eliptical (buggy leaf) on a standard leaf spring suspension?
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Rabbitsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If im making it, is a good quarter eliptical, half leaf spring, 4 links with jonnhy joints.
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's not really any different than building a road worthy 4 link with coils or coilovers. As for cons, packaging would be number 1 for me. If money was an issue w/ coilovers, a pair of junkyard coils would be my choice. Building the mounts to hold the springs to the frame, a mount to attach the spring to the axle. It all seems to just add more complexity to a basic 4-link. I don't know that there are any advantages vs running coil springs, just another way to accomplish the same thing.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

To add to the con's;

-An extended length brake line is required,
-you will need to install travel limiting straps,
-you will need to carry a small length of chain in your rig just incase you have to jack it up to change a tire,
-and they look hella scary when ascending or descending a steep hill.

..and now the rest;

They definitely add to suspension travel, but unless you have a selectable locker this won't do you a bit of good for traction (at full droop),
Carry a spare 1/4 leaf or a spring shackle if you happen to snap one, I've seen trail rigs limped off of a trail with a busted 1/4 leaf due to over extending and not having a way to reinstall the shackle onto the original frame mount.

Just my two-cents worth.
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=bgredjeep;15460365]Contras? Up up down down left right left right B A select start

Ahhh the useful info we never forget!!
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Contras? Up up down down left right left right B A select start
The funny thing is... Every boy/man now knows that cheat from coast to coast ... And that was before the internet!
()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.