1.25 inch boom shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1.25 inch boom shackles

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1.25 inch boom shackles

I have 2.5 inch straight shackles in the front right now, and stock shackles in the rear. The 2.5" shackles look horrible and ride horrible, so along with the bastard pack Ill be doing soon, I wanted to shorten the shackles.

Does anyone have any pictures of 1.25" boom shackles? Also, how would it ride? I didnt want to go over 1" booms, but theres some 1.25" ones for all four springs for a good deal...

Thanks

cwein23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You're still going to have a terrible ride with the shackles over an inch. I wouldn't suggest them for steering purposes over 3/4" lift length. You will probably be better off not having some beaver teeth on the front of your jeep and sourcing a better spring lift for quality purposes.

And no, I don't have any pics of what my jeep looked like with huge shackles on the front. However I'm still running 1" booms in the rear.
There is only one pic I could find offhand
Unread 12-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the quick response!
unfortunately a complete suspension lift isnt possible. Im only 16 and having dumped 3k+ just to fix the jeep up, my mom would kill me if I spend 500 on springs.
Im getting the bastard pack springs for free, and the shocks for a steal, so Im trying to shorten the shackles as much as I can while being able to keep my 33s.

Would going to a 1" shackle make a difference? I know you suggested 3/4 inch, but that pushing it in regards to my clearance. Thanks again

Those are sweet wheels by the way, did you have those done custom?
Unread 12-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So you are trying to keep your 33's under the jeep without spending a lot of money. I think we can do this step by step with minimal cash flow.
First of all, buy a sawzall or whatever kind of reciprocating saw you want at harbor freight. Then go to a reputable hardware store and get some really good blades for steel.
Next, go ahead and cut and redrill your shackles at 5" hole to hole and cut off the excess. Ain't nobody got time for shackles that long. The beaver belongs in the passenger seat, not the face of the jeep.
Check craigslist for some TJ flares. You can also cut your own to gain another inch of clearance but the TJ style gives more overall plus you can take the aforementioned reciprocator and trim away sheet metal. Here's the difference between trimmed Yj flares and where the TJ flare lines up with the Yj sheet metal

Next go spend about $100 on a 1" quality body lift. This should get your 33's about the same distance away from your fenders as they would be with the crap shackles.
Unread 12-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

And yes, they're custom wheels.

Unread 12-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I hate to make this difficult, but I already have a BL on, and my flares are trimmed already. Ill look on craigslist for some TJ flares, but I was looking to just take the rear ones off entirely and cut the sheet metal up.
As for cutting the sheet metal in the wheel well, whats "okay to cut" and what should I avoid cutting? Before I just start hacking away at it

The wheels look great, props to the spades design as well, I like it a lot
Unread 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just make sure you move the wires before you hack into it. And if you're going to use an angle grinder with a 4.5" cutoff wheel, make sure you don't smell any gas before you cut the driver's side. Other than that, you can push the plastic pieces back and cut a little and still use them or rip them out entirely but hit the bare inner center with some rattlecan undercoating. It really deadens the sounds.

You have a pic of the jeep as is?
Unread 12-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
JonCorwin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Cwein when you say 1.25" shackles, do you mean 1.25" of lift or 1.25" over stock length?
JonCorwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://s79.photobucket.com/user/supe...tml?sort=3&o=0

Heres some pictures, and theres very little plastic in the wheel well (front wheel well at least), was some taken out by the PO or am I just missing it?

EDIT: cant figure out how to post the pictures link-less...

JonCorwin, I mean 1.25" lift. The longest I wanted was max 1" lift, but someone found me a deal on 1.25" booms that I cant find on the 1" lift ones.
Unread 12-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 12-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I would sell the tires for some decent 31's and call it good. Roll with some smaller rubber for a while.
Unread 12-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Honestly, I would sell the tires for some decent 31's and call it good. Roll with some smaller rubber for a while.
This.

And lose those retarhrded front shackles.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #13
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay. Ill shorten the shackles to 3/4 " lift or max 1" once I get the bastard pack.
If theres not enough clearance, Ill go for 31s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.