.060 overbore ok in 4.2????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > .060 overbore ok in 4.2?????

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
bigrobby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

.060 overbore ok in 4.2?????

1990 yj 4.2 190k

we're tearing down the 4.2 and have plenty of power adding plans....but my only question is how much can i safely bore it out?

well...is .060 ok???

i'm pretty sure there's plenty of meat on the cylinder walls for .060 but my machine shop guy wants me to check with some people and make sure that much of an overbore didnt cause overheating problems.

anyone know????

thanks

92 yj, 4.0 H.O. with crane cam 753901 and lifters/ ford 8.8 track lock and disc rear/3.73/ 231 HD chain & sprocket/ Teralow HD SYE/Tom Woods DS/ bout 4 inches mixed susp lift/ 33" BFG muds/ crapload more.

MY THEORY OF PERPETUAL SPENDING: if i've built my drivetrain strong enough to where i can't break it anymore, i clearly don't have enough power. Strokin' is in the future.
bigrobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the highest amount i've seen was boring .030 over.

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am at .040 now and no issues of any type. When I was talking to my machine guy he said he could do more but didn't recomend it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
bigrobby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

do either of you have the 4.2? i thought your years had 4.0's.....which is actually whats in my other jeep. the 4.0 has a much bigger bore to begin with....and i suspect since the block is very similar that the 4.2 has more meat to bore out.

a 4.2 bored .060 will still not be as big of a bore as a stock 4.0.
92 yj, 4.0 H.O. with crane cam 753901 and lifters/ ford 8.8 track lock and disc rear/3.73/ 231 HD chain & sprocket/ Teralow HD SYE/Tom Woods DS/ bout 4 inches mixed susp lift/ 33" BFG muds/ crapload more.

MY THEORY OF PERPETUAL SPENDING: if i've built my drivetrain strong enough to where i can't break it anymore, i clearly don't have enough power. Strokin' is in the future.
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the 4.0, I didn't know they were much different. I would just call a couple machine shops and see what they say.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
RoverJeep90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know if it means anything, but I went 0.060 over on mine. Guy at the shop did it with no worries. Granted, mine is a 4 cyl, but if you're asking if it's out there, then yes. Check a Haynes manual for the actual specs on your motor, then calculate a percentage increase for the bore. With your numbers, talk to the dealer, as they might be able to pull up some stress specs for your block and possibly check your figures.
Sony CDX-GT300 | Kicker ZX500.1 | Kicker ZX350.4 | Kicker ZX200.2 | Kicker L5 Solobaric Sub | Kicker 6x9's | Apline 6.5's | Boston 4x6's
Truckstop CB Antenna | Class 3 Hitch
RoverJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check this out it might help....http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't have mine bored, but did add a holley 470 4 barrel, offy intake, comp cam, header, HEI and MSD. "wow", what a difference. This summer it's getting a 4.0 head from clearwater and rollor rockers. I don't know what other plans you have for your 258, but they will make some power with the right parts.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

did .080 on my 93 block 4.0 stroker build. But why .060 ? is the block that worn to need it ?
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
bigrobby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

we've already got the MPI for the 4.0... we're putting in a 4.0 High output head, header, exhaust, intake, head ported and milled. slight decking of the block. Crane cam 753901 (have that in my 4.0...awesome cam!) even goin to the stock 4.0 cam would be a big difference but we're goin all out.

and if we bore it .060 it will be close to a 4.4 liter. with all the 4.0 goodies and performance cam.

now my 4.0 with all the goodies is very strong. using our best dyno flywheel recalculations my 4.0 is running around 265 ft/lb torque and 230 hp. even 4 inches up and 33's that jeep DESTROYS stock 4.0's every time i pull up next to one. I'm expecting this build to be quite a bit stronger

Unread 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
bigrobby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
did .080 on my 93 block 4.0 stroker build. But why .060 ? is the block that worn to need it ?
no .060 just to add a little displacement. on one hand the difference in displacement between that and say .030 overbored may not be noticeable......on the other hand...if it's as safe to go .060 as i think it is......then why not?

Unread 02-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobby View Post
no .060 just to add a little displacement. on one hand the difference in displacement between that and say .030 overbored may not be noticeable......on the other hand...if it's as safe to go .060 as i think it is......then why not?
Well you will unshroud the valves a touch. But not enough to make much difference. Simply have the block sonic checked to see how much meat is in it.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
bigrobby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if anyone's interested i got a real answer from a guy who used to race them. as i suspected...boring the 4.0 has its limits....they try not to push it too much for motors built to run hard

however ...the 4.2 DOES have quite a bit of meat in the cylinder walls. he said on racing motors, they'd bore them .080 or .100....keep in mind those motors were under tremendous heat and stress.

i'll be going with .060 for one simple reason....going any bigger will take custom pistons which i dont wanna pay for.

Unread 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Going .060" over can always be a possible cause for problems in any motor. The biggest problem is what they call "core shift". When the sand castings for the engines are made and them assembled the happy worker in the foundry may not always align the sand core casting for the cylinders centered perfectly in the block sand casting. So when the metal is poured the cylinder walls, (inner water jackets) are not all the same thickness. If they are off centered then you will have a vertical section of each wall that is thinner than the rest of each cylinder. So when you punch that bad boy out 060" you can end up with a motor that has cylinder walls that have no meat left in them in one section.

They can test a block for core shift using sound I beleive. I forget the name of the test or the name of the tool they do it with. It is worth the money in my opinion. IF your machinist does not know what core shift is....find another machinist.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.