05-06 4.0 in a 95'? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 05-06 4.0 in a 95'?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

05-06 4.0 in a 95'?

Has anyone done this swap? I have an 05' 4.0 that I am working on putting into a 95' YJ and there are most definitely some differences between the motors.
Do you have any insight?

One of the things we ran into was the difference in alternators.
The 05 has the plug with the 2 field wires and the 95' has the little gizmo that bolts to the alternator with 2 field wires and 2 ground wires.

The field wires on the 95 are a much heavier gauge than the 05, is there something more going on with the field wires on the 95' alternator?

If you have done this swap and have some insight on other issues you have run into in installing the later model 4.0 engines into a n earlier model Jeep, let's hear them.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Nasty, 05 motor has dist gear issues.... ALl I know. I did put one in a 2000 TJ.
You going to change every thing to 05 stuff or to 95?
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Changing to 95.
Keeping the 05 intake and using the 95 TB and sensors.
95 exhaust and sensors
95 Distributor and coil

Unread 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, this thing is in and running like a champ.
There are significant differences in the mounting bosses for the accessories on the 95 block but it can be done.

The fuel mileage is much better as is the seat of the pants feel for power.

Unread 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
609thomasm
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I also have a 95 YJ. I am in the process of putting a new motor in it. I have another 95 motor that is going in this time but I also have a 99 coil pack 4.0 that I am in the process of fitting all the accessories onto it for the next time. I don't know if the 99 and the 05 blocks are the same, but here is what i found so far. The YJ alt. bracket won't bolt up directly to the block without some modifications.(I want to keep the YJ bracket because I relocated alt. up on top to help keep it out of the water. Alt. is 9" higher than stock) The holes in the block are slightly different for the iron motor mounts. No hole in head for water temp sender. The block does not have 1 hole drilled for the YJ water pump.(maybe a TJ pump will work) Both the sender and water pump holes can be drilled and tapped into the block/ head without much difficulty. There is a bolt boss coming off the block right in front of the distributor, if it interferes will remove. Intake/exhaust bolt up. My plan is to do all the mods. while I have all the brackets out so it will be ready for the next motor swap.If I get it done I will post pics. of all the 95 stuff on the 99 motor.
609thomasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have found that the best way to do these swaps is to buy a motor with all of the accessories on it. Use what you can and swap over what you need to keep it running.

I kept the 95 YJ computer and distributor. The alternator needed to be played with a bit. We took the back half of the YJ alternator and mated it up with the front half of the 05 alternator to make it work. (Chris's idea)

I have been driving it daily since getting it complete and it has held up and runs strong.
TDS this coming weekend.... Cant wait!

Unread 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
609thomasm
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What did you do for the motor mounts that bolt to the block, or do TJ mounts work in the YJ frame
609thomasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 609thomasm View Post
What did you do for the motor mounts that bolt to the block, or do TJ mounts work in the YJ frame
It bolted right in.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.