-----> 03+ TJ seat swap Questions and Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > -----> 03+ TJ seat swap Questions and Suggestions

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

-----> 03+ TJ seat swap Questions and Suggestions

so aside from having to build a new driveshaft and work on my front suspension after a bit of mud carnage, I've added a seat swap to the list of things to do...

i got a deal on some 03 Rubicon seats with risers and sliders and I was wondering if anyone has done this swap.

it looks like they will be pretty simple to install but I was wondering if anyone had done this already and if so, any suggestions?

i'll update this thread with pictures as I do it over the next few days.....

-Erik <---- somewhat concerned with the seat height

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

Unread 06-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 06-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
IPB
2007 JK Wrangler 

Was this a straight bolt in process or did you have to change the seat pans or make some modifications to the mounting brackets?

I would love some newer seats.
02 Sportsman 400 4x4 (the wifes)
IPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

the underside of the rubi seats are much thicker and thus if i mounted them with the sliders to my existing risers they would have been WAY too high. (i would have had to weld, or possibly drill and bolt on)

i opted to ditch the sliders since i could lower them about an inch if i left them off. I wound up cutting the front two vertical supports of the oem yj risers and making them about 3" hole to hole. i also cut the piece that went from one side at the bottom pivot point to the other side on the top pivot point and shortened it about an inch or two to keep the geometry right for the flipping forward function.

in the end i sat the driver's seat where i wanted it and tack welded it in place then took it all off and welded it up real good. then i had my neighbor (who rides with me pretty often) sit his big 6'2" 175 lb *** in the passenger seat and position it where he wanted it and i welded it there.

in order to fit the 10" wide tuffy console i had to keep the seats outward as much as possible so the sides rub against the roll bar padding a little when you lean them back far, but not bad at all.

they still sit higher than i remember my yj seats sitting, but it could just be because they have so much more padding. either way, they're comfortable and look great. i couldn't have asked for a more comfortable seat to swap in.... jeep did great designing these bad boys.

if i did it again, or if i get fat or grow 6", i'll cut them off the risers and shorten the risers another couple inches and possible move them back just a hair farther but that would probably make my back seat pretty useless.

-Erik <--- cant wait to get some waterproof black seat covers. this fabric is gay.

Unread 06-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
IPB
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ah Thanks. So it took a bit of work but it seems worth it. I loved the seats in my old Tj so I think I'll start looking for a pair to swap in.

Thanks
02 Sportsman 400 4x4 (the wifes)
IPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

it took me about 4 hours from start to finish. if i would have been a bit more patient and not under the influence of those happy green heineken's, i would have mounted them lower and maybe back a little farther... in far less time. i'm just too lazy.

good luck finding seats, i'm sure if you take your time looking you will be able to find a good deal somewhere. i paid just under $100 for these.

the 97-02 were one style, and 03-06 another.... the 03-06 are much nicer with better support, in my opinion. mounting the 97-02 seats appeared to be a bit harder from the one set i looked at but with a grinder and welder i'm sure the difference would be minimal.

I have a set of 97-02 tj seats woth the wet okole or whatever they are called for sale for $150 but i don't really want to deal with shipping....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.