Wrangler gets 2.8L diesel in Oct - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Wrangler gets 2.8L diesel in Oct

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #31
bnther36

CRD...fail...win...whatever. Just give me one with a pickup bed already!

I never understood why mid-sized or even small trucks are so frowned upon here in the US. I had a full sized Silverado w/extended cab. I felt like I was driving a school bus. And I would never even dream of taking that to camp Jeep. If you really want to have fun off-road, then you've got to have the right vehicle. And as far as payload is concerned, 80% of what I haul could fit in the bed of a small pickup. As for the other 20%, I've got a trailer 5' by 10' trailer. People need to get out of this rut where they can't survive without a gianormous pickup that will only get beat to hell (if not hoplessly stuck) if they try and take on the trail.

A Wrangler derived pickup w/diesel would be perfect.
"Build it...and they will buy it"

bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #32
click23
2005 KJ Liberty 

The CRD Liberty basically was a test bed to see if they could sale a diesel engine in a SUV. As an owner I can tell you that Jeep did not do enough homework before they started building these. The engine is great, but they dropped the ball on the emissions components, transmission and the fuel system.
click23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #33
bnther36

Quote:
Originally Posted by click23 View Post
The CRD Liberty basically was a test bed to see if they could sale a diesel engine in a SUV. As an owner I can tell you that Jeep did not do enough homework before they started building these. The engine is great, but they dropped the ball on the emissions components, transmission and the fuel system.
What kind of MPG do you get with the diesel?
Hwy miles vs in-town miles? I'd love to know some real world numbers.
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #34
click23
2005 KJ Liberty 

We do about 90% highway driving and normally get 22-25 mpg, but it has been 28-30 a few times just depends on how you drive the little tractor. I plan on having my computer reflashed in a month or two, some have seen a 5 mpg increase after doing theirs.
Unread 12-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #35
bnther36

Quote:
Originally Posted by click23 View Post
We do about 90% highway driving and normally get 22-25 mpg, but it has been 28-30 a few times just depends on how you drive the little tractor. I plan on having my computer reflashed in a month or two, some have seen a 5 mpg increase after doing theirs.
30mpg?!

That's amazing for a 4000 pound vehicle!
I might really have to look at this diesel Wrangler when it comes out. I wonder, is there any different with regards to how the engine runs if you use bio-diesel verses regular diesel? (not 'REGULAR' -- that's going back )
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #36
click23
2005 KJ Liberty 

I really have not ran bio enough to be able to tell. I can tell you in theory that your mpg should go down with bio, due to it have less BTUs that dino.

Have you ever seen the Gladiator concept? It is "A Wrangler derived pickup w/diesel". I would love if these went into production. If you have not seen it, here is some info concept-jeep-gladiator
Unread 12-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #37
bnther36

GLADIATOR

I've had that as my desktop wallpaper off and on for I don't know how long. I loved the concept vehicle. Right color, right tires, right engine, loved those suicide doors...in other words, the perfect vehicle for me...and they'll never make it. (Story of my life )

Oh well, we'll see what happens now that Fiat is involved.
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #38
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Im in the market for a jk right now, and want a diesel badly, but I suspect that it's going to get screwed up somehow. I want an Unlimited diesel with a manual. I just don't see the manual happening though. Automatic is a dealbreaker for me. Do you know how hard it is to find a decent Unlimited with a manual!?
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #39
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, this would be a tempting option.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #40
jeepwave

Allpar.com - Wrangler to get revised VM diesel?

Wrangler to get revised VM diesel? | Allpar Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep News
jeepwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #41
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwave View Post
The US market gets ****ed again.

Quote:
We have now received two credible statements that the American (and presumably Canadian) Wrangler will not be diesel-powered for the foreseeable future, and that the announcement of a diesel Wrangler in the U.S. was misinterpreted.
Take note Chrys.. Jee.., excuse me, FIAT.

I've bought two new Wranglers since 2006 and will not be throwing my money away buying another with a gas engine. The body style and the type of driving done in a Wrangler is not suited to the junk gas engines turned out by Chrysler. I don't care if it has 500hp, if I have to rev it close to 6000 rpm to use that power it is USELESS.

Jeep has totally alienated me as a customer. I'm having a terrible time talking myself out of selling these two Wranglers and investing in an ICON FJ-40. Jeep is bending over backwards to give soccer moms and college girls what they want, and not the folks who actually use a Jeep's capabilities.

Last edited by asknight; 02-04-2010 at 11:26 PM..
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #42
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep has no choice but to bend over backwards to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. If you don't like it.... VOTE!!! Jeep knows who it's real customers are, but the hippie liberals are forcing them to build economical cars or pay the penalty.

I'm friends with a Jeep engineer on facebook and he confirms we're getting it Just don't know when
EvilM0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #43
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilM0nkey View Post
Jeep has no choice but to bend over backwards to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. If you don't like it.... VOTE!!! Jeep knows who it's real customers are, but the hippie liberals are forcing them to build economical cars or pay the penalty.

I'm friends with a Jeep engineer on facebook and he confirms we're getting it Just don't know when
How do you explain the gas guzzlers like the Viper, Charger RT/SRT8, Challenger, etc?

And a proper diesel in a JK will deliver better fuel economy than most every pickup truck, and most "sports" cars made today. I've began disbelieving everything I hear from Jeep on a JK diesel. They can only keep a rumor alive for so long before customers go elsewhere for satisfaction.

"We have no plans at the moment for diesel Jeeps in North America, although one of the things I've learned in this business is to never say never," said Michael Manley, president and chief executive officer of the Jeep brand. "I wouldn't rule it out, but specifically on Nov. 4, we were commenting on diesel in Europe."

Bull****. The diesel is already available all over Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

Fact is, we've been mislead.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #44
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Diesels STILL = Soot, I beleive high NOX levels, never can pass the CA emissions that also rule the NW and NE states. Plus, w/ low sales volume cuz, most Jeeps are drivers by gas users. A diesel option for $4K won't sell, in this economy, "maybe" when Wrangler gets a redo and Pentastar or whatever motors are available ('11 maybe , '12, '13 likely). A diesel w/ a standard IS a no go, the emissions of a diesle, especially at deaccel would be off teh stringent charts of tody's mandates, it's pretty simple. Now a NAT GAS powered car, in fact MNAY would make sense and be CHEAP to fuel foreveer and we'd send NO oney to countries that hate us! rant over....
Unread 02-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #45
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Charger/Challenger/300C are hardly gas guzzlers. Even with a Hemi, its still the MDS system and you can get mid 20s out of them on the highway--at least in the case of the charger/300. The challenger gets less mpg probably due to more aggressive tuning and gearing. For a 300+ hp fullsize car thats f'in AMAZING.

Toyota loves to brag about how fuel effiecient they are. Its a load of B.S. Their highest mpg non hybrid car (that yaris thing) only gets 36 mpg hwy. The way I see it, a made-from-tin fwd weenie car with less than 100 hp should be getting 45-50 mpg minimum. But look at what youre driving, it looks like an electric shaver. The charger/300 are only giving up 10 mpg hwy yet they have powerful V-8s, rear wheel drive, plenty of room, theyre a solid chunk of car that wont fall apart if you hit a sparrow and (if you like sedans) at least have SOME style. So when you look at what you get for your money and youre mpg, who's really the gas guzzler? That toyota is less than half the car of any of the Hemi LX's so the tradeoff should be at least double the efficiency, but it isnt so. A 4cyl camry is only rated at 32 mpg hwy. You can get out and run faster than one of those, and yet its barely more efficient than a hemi mopar.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.