Wrangler based pickup greenlighted!!!!! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Wrangler based pickup greenlighted!!!!!

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Bds suspension discount

Unread 10-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #61
Finulanu
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There was no Jeep pickup built for military use. Perhaps you are thinking of a J8 you saw with no top and mistakened it as a truck, like one of the pictures above? Or maybe you are thinking of the JT concept? If you haven't seen or heard about it, it's this one:

jeep-jt.jpg

Finulanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #62
Jbostick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think the above rig would be easy enough for jeep to build, but I still rather have a seperate bed from the cab
Jbostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #63
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

That is the truck, i swear in seen photos of it down in some hole climbing out

which lead me to think it was a production Rig

Mike
AMCSportTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #64
Finulanu
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, they took it to Moab and tested it out. These are the shots you probably saw:

jeep-jt-moab-1.jpg

jeep-jt-moab-2.jpg

jeep-jt-moab-3.jpg
Finulanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #65
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

Yep, those are the photos i seen thanks for clearing that up, So it just a concept truck . . . I'd buy it that is for sure im all for the short light trucks . . .

Mike
Unread 10-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #66
SLIM_SNOOPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbostick View Post
proabbly zero!
LOL
SLIM_SNOOPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #67
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

I got the word from the Jeep dealer ship myself, There will NOT be a Jeep pickup truck

here is the the story

They only build these Concept Wrangler based trucks because it boosts sales of the Regular Wrangler's

I got told that Jeep will NEVER produce a pickup truck for the North American market

Then the salesman proceeded to tell its ok i can trade my Comanche in on a nice Dakota lots to choose from BAD Idea

I became a real unpleasant person at that point

I said "Well for i wouldn't ever own another dodge truck they are all trash, Second of all i figured Chrysler would Ruin the Jeep" . . . . "First CryCo ditch the full sized trucks lickity split, then the ditch the Mid sized trucks and if that wasn't enough they repowered the remaining SUV's with Mini Van V-6's and Neon I-4's" . . . " I guess I'll just keep this fine American Motors Jeep Comanche for the rest of my days you have a nice day Sir"

Then i drove away

Mike
Unread 10-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #68
manicmarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finulanu View Post
They are, and for foreign militaries, but for a period of time AEV ( They negotiated with Chrysler on it) obtained kits from them and assembled together the Jeeps, left it up to you to decide how to install the engine and transmission, then sold them to whoever was willing to dish out 50K or so to buy it. Maybe someone can verify, but I'm pretty sure they weren't even street legal for civilians who bought them and had to jump through a ton of hoops just to get it street legal...
Sadly these have still not been produced. As far as I can tell the only ones that exist are the demonstration models AEV created. The most recent update on a production run was 9/10/2010:
Quote:
We should have more info from Chrysler shortly and I'm working on sending out an update to those who have filled out applications. Its looking good but I'm trying to get some firm dates from Chrysler before I say anything.

dh
J8 program update please..... - American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums

So it looks like it hasn't been canceled, just still not a go yet over a year later. As far as being street legal, there doesn't appear to be any clear info out there. My guess is no on the diesel in some states, but it's just a guess at this point. It being a kit car, there are 50 different sets of rules depending on which state you live in. I'm guessing that even if most are cut and paste it's still too much of a mess for them to be able to come out and say yes or no.

As for the wrangler based pickup, I'd be really interested in buying one. But, I wouldn't believe it until it's on the lot. Going back through the old history it seems Jeep is really bad about teasing people with stuff they never produce.
manicmarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #69
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCSportTruck View Post
I got the word from the Jeep dealer ship myself, There will NOT be a Jeep pickup truck

here is the the story

They only build these Concept Wrangler based trucks because it boosts sales of the Regular Wrangler's

I got told that Jeep will NEVER produce a pickup truck for the North American market

Then the salesman proceeded to tell its ok i can trade my Comanche in on a nice Dakota lots to choose from BAD Idea

I became a real unpleasant person at that point

I said "Well for i wouldn't ever own another dodge truck they are all trash, Second of all i figured Chrysler would Ruin the Jeep" . . . . "First CryCo ditch the full sized trucks lickity split, then the ditch the Mid sized trucks and if that wasn't enough they repowered the remaining SUV's with Mini Van V-6's and Neon I-4's" . . . " I guess I'll just keep this fine American Motors Jeep Comanche for the rest of my days you have a nice day Sir"

Then i drove away

Mike
And I suppose this salesman you spoke to is a spokesman for Jeep? That's why he's in the inner circle on their future models? It couldn't be that he's just a lowly paid lot jockey who was pumping you full of hot air trying to sell you a car?

Unless you heard it from the CEO of Chrysler I remain skeptical.

And are there any smilies in the menu that you didn't use in your post?
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #70
Jbostick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I wouldnt believe anything a salesman told me they know less than your average forum member for the most part. A jeep pickup is gonna happen!!!
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #71
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

I personally think if CryCo wanted the Jeep brand to have a pickup truck they wouldn't have discontinued the 3 trucks jeep already had they would have up dated them like they did to the SUV's but that is just IMO . . .

When its on the lot i'll believe it until Jeep + pickup = History books, museums archives bla bla ya da ya da yackitty smackitty ect ect and so along

P.S.
No i didn't use all the smilies but i'll try harder to use them all next time just for you Peaches

Mike
Unread 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #72
cata123

well I went to Google news and found these articles threes a state representative trying to work on Chrysler with something.

OH representative working to bring Jeep pickup to Toledo plant - WTOL.com - Toledo's News Leader |
Jeep pickup: on the horizon for Toledo? | 13abc.com
Jeep Gladiator to Come in 2012 - autoevolution
cata123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #73
Jbostick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hmm, thats interesting. Surely that represenative wouldnt go on TV and talk about something that wasnt really being discussed. I dont think
Unread 10-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #74
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

Oh really now . . . I like this we have Government support for a jeep pickup truck . . . Very cool

Mike
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #75
cata123

Does that mean its happening? Or not
cata123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.