Wrangler 2.8L Diesel NOT happening? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Wrangler 2.8L Diesel NOT happening?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 01-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #31
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

170hp that sounds about right fully modded in a civvy truck app 6.5s only 250hp LOL

They over heat easy due to way to high of compression n bad design.

Most turbo diesels are 16.5-17.5:1 for turbo diesels and the 6.5 turbo is 19.5-20.5:1 depending on weather its mechanical or electronic.

Most non turbos are 20-22:1 compression

6.5 non turbos are 21.5-23.5:1 compression.

Compession = torque !

Where I'm from yet the 6.5 only makes 380-440tq !

That's what happens when ya let Detroit build your diesels LOL

Most big rig engines run 2000-2200 max rpm Mack has 2400rpm max.

Detroit 3200-3500rpm !

So same the 6.5 mine shifts gears at 3800rpm there is no low end its all topend that's why they work best with 4.56-5.13 gears.

Mike

AMCSportTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #32
madhouse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i'd buy a diesel wrangler so quick.
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
78bigjeep

I am very disappointed to hear that there will be no diesel Wrangler in 2011 for the US. It infuriates me when the exact vehicle I want is built in the US but only sold overseas.

Blame the EPA for our diesel doldrums. I spoke with a friend who works as an engineer at Chrysler. He said that the aftertreatment systems to meet the 2010 diesel emissions standards cost as much or more than the actual engine, which already costs 3x as much as a comparible gas engine. Add to it that the new emissions equipment significantly reduces MPG and the higher price of diesel and the economic advantage of diesel has been flushed down the toilet. (But I still want one!) (With a 6 spd manual!)
78bigjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
cheapjeeps85
1999 TJ Wrangler 

a dpf cant be hard to make
cheapjeeps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #35
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

how to say this in the easiest way.......... Well DUH
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #36
BeepTheJeep

sad day for diesel.

It is another sad day for diesel. Why not a Diesel?
BeepTheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #37
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Especially now, it's very important for Chrysler to make a profit in whatever it does, and if this is true, then their research has said there wouldn't be enough demand to cover the production costs, environmental regulations, along with the marketing and dealer service and support that goes along with it.

The Cummins works in the 2500 and 3500 RAM as most buyers require a diesel there and are willing to pay extra for it. Chrysler just needs to get rid of the UAW
Fixed it for you.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #38
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Government is most DEFINITELY the problem here. Diesel is obviously a win-win when you boil it down to brass tacks. Anything that can get near 30 mpg, last 200K miles or more, and has the power to pull down a building is obviously a viable option for a vehicle such as the Wrangler. But instead, uncle sam offers tax credits to buy into the hybrid hype which is a monumental fail.

Lets also look at the Liberty CRD. They projected to sell about 5000 of them, and they sold 10,000. They could barely keep up. Clearly the market for a small diesel SUV thats designed and built to handle some truck duty has a market. But then, the EPA clamed down on emissions again. Hmmmm.....

I wouldnt doubt if the big 3 and Toyota are feeding the lobbyists on this one. Why build a vehicle with the longevity of a diesel Jeep, when you can bloat up the global warming...uh oh...err...'climate change' fear mongering and sell someone a complete POS thats gonna need a $3000 battery swap in a few years? Dont wanna shell that out, ok. We'll take it on trade for nothing and you buy a new one. We'll sink a few grand into it and re-sell it to another sucker. Wanna play again?
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #39
Stickman89

That sucks a diesel would be awesome
Stickman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #40
Painbow6
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep or the government or whoever is screwing this pooch better get their act together soon or they will lose my business. My next vehicle will be a turbo diesel. I've heard Land Rover is testing a new type of hybrid diesel in the states and if they start selling diesel Defenders here, I'm defecting to LR.

2004 LJ- 35's and stuff
1978 Land Rover Series III- Winston, you will be sorely missed.
Painbow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #41
cheapjeeps85
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i thought thay stoped selling defenders in the us in 97 cuz thay didnt wana put airbags in them
cheapjeeps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #42
Painbow6
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yep. But they are renewing the whole defender platform for the 2013 model year (last I heard anyway, they keep pushing it back) and they will be adding stuff that will "probably" make it legal in the U.S.

Although, I also heard that Jeep would have a diesel option for the 2011 wrangler so...

2004 LJ- 35's and stuff
1978 Land Rover Series III- Winston, you will be sorely missed.
Painbow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #43
jeepin-gheenoe
2005 LJ Wrangler 

this is just a swift kick in the balls for me...ive been around diesels my whole life and they are beautifull beasts! ive seen them run on generators for years only stoping for oil changes, run on tractors in the worst posible conditions such as mowing at 2,100 RPMs for 8-10 hrs a day every day of the week and run just like new! you cant beat a diesel! the advantages of diesels would out way the gas engines in our jeeps by a land slide!

but the diesels would get alot better MPG than our gassers now, but there has to come a time for the EPA when the MPG that diesels give must over come there slightly higher emmisions it gives off. 15mpg in our jeeps now compared to 25+ we could get with a diesel. just my
[CENTER][COLOR="Navy"]2005 Wrangler LJ (patriot blue with matching body&fenders like a sahara), auto, D44 rear Limited Slip Diff, D30front open, 3.73, 1 1/2inch RC spacer lift, K&N CAI, 31/10.50 kelly safari tsr A/T's, custom grill guard, warn 3700 winch, 5" KC Apollo long range lights, 1500watt SSL amp pushing a 12 inch kicker CRV sub, Flowmaster 40seriers muffler with custom side exit crome tip and lots of CROME![/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Navy"]Have an LJ and need a hard top...clicky here![/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/lj-hardtop-rally-tops-1064476/[/url][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"]Check out my Jeep and my Gheenoe in
actoin on my youtube Channel[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/kddcc?feature=mhum"]http://www.youtube.com/user/kddcc?feature=mhum[/URL][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=AlexTJ;5424847]While we're at it lets sue the pants off 'em for ever considering using the dana 35![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=TJorange;10092084]Your Jeep is a real work horse man! Seems like ive seen at least one picture of it on every page of this forum.[/QUOTE]
jeepin-gheenoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #44
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thank California emmisions standards for the lack of diesel vehicles here in the states.

Clean air standards bog down US motors to a ridiculous degree causing them to use more fuel per mile and, you guessed it, produce more emissions.

Once again, bueraucracy > goal.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #45
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Thank California emmisions standards for the lack of diesel vehicles here in the states.

Clean air standards bog down US motors to a ridiculous degree causing them to use more fuel per mile and, you guessed it, produce more emissions.

Once again, bueraucracy > goal.
Preachin to the choir, brotha. The best thing that can happen to an automotive enthusiast would be if the the gubmint would just admit they dont know jack **** about vehicles and leave it to the market to dictate what gets built.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.