Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wrangler 2.8L Diesel NOT happening?

13K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  AMCSportTruck 
#1 ·
The AllPar story on the new Wrangler diesel, discussed in this forum in this thread has been revised.

The last paragraph now reads the following:

We have now received two credible statements that the American (and presumably Canadian) Wrangler will not be diesel-powered for the foreseeable future, and that the announcement of a diesel Wrangler in the U.S. was misinterpreted.
As a buyer waiting for an Unlimited Rubicon Diesel I give this a big :thumbdown:.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see until the 2011 model year is announced. Does anyone know when that is...June ish?

Ord.

#2 ·
If I were one to believe in conspiracies I'd almost believe the government (EPA) is doing something underhanded to keep light duty diesels from coming out.

#3 ·
OMFG ! ! ! the GM LD-Duramax got cut the Ford LD-Powerstroke got cut, The Dodge LD-Cummins was mentioned n quickly forgotten,was here even a prototype ? . . .Now the Jeep LD-diesel is nixed too . . .

something is fishy !

Mike

#5 ·
Burn house ? . . .

Madison WI Area Jeep Club <--where is this ? since when ? . . .

I'm Madison WI located. . .

Mike

#9 ·
this is what happens when companies can spend enough to influence the way we live.

#10 ·
Lol as if a company would pass on a chance to make more money. If there's no diesel its because somebody doesn't think it will sell...

Jeep may have government influence but as mentioned there's no LD powerstroke.....

I was planning to buy a new diesel wrangler over a new 5.0 mustang when I get out of college.

Looks like I'll be getting my first 'car':

#18 ·
Especially now, it's very important for Chrysler to make a profit in whatever it does, and if this is true, then their research has said there wouldn't be enough demand to cover the production costs, environmental regulations, along with the marketing and dealer service and support that goes along with it.

The Cummins works in the 2500 and 3500 RAM as most buyers require a diesel there and are willing to pay extra for it. Chrysler just needs to get the Pentastar V6 in the Wrangler which will help.

#37 ·
Especially now, it's very important for Chrysler to make a profit in whatever it does, and if this is true, then their research has said there wouldn't be enough demand to cover the production costs, environmental regulations, along with the marketing and dealer service and support that goes along with it.

The Cummins works in the 2500 and 3500 RAM as most buyers require a diesel there and are willing to pay extra for it. Chrysler just needs to get rid of the UAW
Fixed it for you. :wave:

#19 ·
I think they should develop an I-6 like GM's 4.2L I-6 that would help, not to many people are interested by a "Mini Van V6" in there jeep. weather this is or isn't true i have no idea but i get what they are saying. . .

Mike

#21 ·
Impossible.

The short of it is that you can't import a vehicle to the USA unless it's 25 years old.

#23 ·
GM ended production of the Trailblazer early last year and same goes for the I6. They are also going to be getting rid of the I5 in the near future, I can't remember when, but sometime soon.

Okay, since there probably won't be a diesel, what about a 4-cyclinder turbo? How much for a AEV J8 Diesel?

#25 ·
GM ended production of the Trailblazer early last year and same goes for the I6. They are also going to be getting rid of the I5 in the near future, I can't remember when, but sometime soon.
My point was the "Mini van V-6" turned a lot people i know off to the Jeep brand period they simply refuse to buy another, now if those dozen folks felt that way i'm sure a few more world wide felt the same:thumbsup:

GM's New S-10's the Colorado and the canyon are getting axed, first the Chevy goes in 2010 then shortly there after the GMC goes, why not ditch both at the same time ?

I really don;t much care for Chrysler myself it could disappear tomorrow i wouldn't miss it.

Jeep on the other hand i would like to see continue on, would also like to see a little less SUV/Car blending and more wrangler & pickup truck toughness :cheers: :cheers2::tea:

the CJ/Wrangler looking truck's started Jeep the willy's pickup was a high seller, then they tried blending the 2 and came up with the scambler it flopped.

But the Comanche/J10-30 & CJ's-Wrangler truck's kept jeep rolling along then in 1988 the Full sized truck's got dropped then in 1992 the Compact truck's got dropped they went in SUV's which worked out just fine good idea :thumbsup:

But these Car/SUV Van things ? come on really ?

Jeep was setup to be the Brute/bully not the sissy school girl . . .

:cheers: IMO :cheers2: that's :tea: Jeep:thumbsup:

Mike

#28 ·
You have to sort of wonder if there isn't some sort of unspoken agreement that Europe gets to use diesel and America only uses gas.

Even Subaru took there famous boxer engine and made a diesel out of it. The Forrester diesel gets a combined 37mpg verses the 22mpg (combined) that we're getting now. That's a phenomenal increase in mpg performance...but for some reason, there are no plans on bringing it to the states anytime soon. But what do you expect? Between Uncle Sam's cut on my paycheck, all of the wonderful hidden fees like the 'state 911', 'county 911', and 'emergency 911' (as if I would dial 911 when it wasn't an emergency!!!) on my phone bill, and the taxes on gas and everything else that I buy, I'm donating 45+% of everything I make to Uncle Sam...and the country is still 13 trillion in debt. It's obvious they can't make a logical decisions!

The diesel engine is a perfect match for the high-torque @ low rpm needs of an off-road vehicle. If it wasn't, then the Army wouldn't have put it in the Hummer.

#29 ·
when i was in the corps i was in a 4 shop we did the rebuilds on the humvee 6.5 s lol most of them are only making about 170 hp to the fly wheel the big reason the mill went diesel in the humvee is so every thing in there line up can run off jp8 every thing from club carts to jets

#30 ·
but i realy do hope that jeep gets a diesel wrangler in the us and i think bio fule could help make a lot more jobs in farming and in manufacturing biofuels but if any one has seen the documentary who killed the electric car im sure the oil companys would find a way to keep that from takeing off

#31 ·
170hp that sounds about right fully modded in a civvy truck app 6.5s only 250hp LOL

They over heat easy due to way to high of compression n bad design.

Most turbo diesels are 16.5-17.5:1 for turbo diesels and the 6.5 turbo is 19.5-20.5:1 depending on weather its mechanical or electronic.

Most non turbos are 20-22:1 compression

6.5 non turbos are 21.5-23.5:1 compression.

Compession = torque !

Where I'm from yet the 6.5 only makes 380-440tq !

That's what happens when ya let Detroit build your diesels LOL

Most big rig engines run 2000-2200 max rpm Mack has 2400rpm max.

Detroit 3200-3500rpm !

So same the 6.5 mine shifts gears at 3800rpm there is no low end its all topend that's why they work best with 4.56-5.13 gears.

Mike

#33 ·
I am very disappointed to hear that there will be no diesel Wrangler in 2011 for the US. It infuriates me when the exact vehicle I want is built in the US but only sold overseas.

Blame the EPA for our diesel doldrums. I spoke with a friend who works as an engineer at Chrysler. He said that the aftertreatment systems to meet the 2010 diesel emissions standards cost as much or more than the actual engine, which already costs 3x as much as a comparible gas engine. Add to it that the new emissions equipment significantly reduces MPG and the higher price of diesel and the economic advantage of diesel has been flushed down the toilet. (But I still want one!) (With a 6 spd manual!)

#38 ·
Government is most DEFINITELY the problem here. Diesel is obviously a win-win when you boil it down to brass tacks. Anything that can get near 30 mpg, last 200K miles or more, and has the power to pull down a building is obviously a viable option for a vehicle such as the Wrangler. But instead, uncle sam offers tax credits to buy into the hybrid hype which is a monumental fail.

Lets also look at the Liberty CRD. They projected to sell about 5000 of them, and they sold 10,000. They could barely keep up. Clearly the market for a small diesel SUV thats designed and built to handle some truck duty has a market. But then, the EPA clamed down on emissions again. Hmmmm.....

I wouldnt doubt if the big 3 and Toyota are feeding the lobbyists on this one. Why build a vehicle with the longevity of a diesel Jeep, when you can bloat up the global warming...uh oh...err...'climate change' fear mongering and sell someone a complete POS thats gonna need a $3000 battery swap in a few years? Dont wanna shell that out, ok. We'll take it on trade for nothing and you buy a new one. We'll sink a few grand into it and re-sell it to another sucker. Wanna play again?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.