Why not a Full Time 4x4 WRANGLER - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Why not a Full Time 4x4 WRANGLER

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #31
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

full time 4wd does not help when you have a short wheelbase. Ask any CJ Quadratrac owner.

If you have good tires, you don't need multiple driving wheels in inclement weather conditions on the road, aside from deep snow.

T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #32
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-birdJunkie View Post
full time 4wd does not help when you have a short wheelbase. Ask any CJ Quadratrac owner.
I doubt Jeep would offer a full time case on the 2 dr Wrangler but the 4 dr has a wheelbase of 116 inches. That's much longer than the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee and the Select-Trac transfer case was nice to have on them.
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #33
brentonjeepfitz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

gas is bad enough and i feel better shifting it into 4wd before i go in the woods
brentonjeepfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #34
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
I doubt Jeep would offer a full time case on the 2 dr Wrangler but the 4 dr has a wheelbase of 116 inches. That's much longer than the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee and the Select-Trac transfer case was nice to have on them.
TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES.
Come on people. Tires are the issue here. Those craptastic Bridgestones and Goodyears they put on the JK are craptastic.

If they put a decent tire on there from the factory you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #35
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-birdJunkie View Post
TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES.
Come on people. Tires are the issue here. Those craptastic Bridgestones and Goodyears they put on the JK are craptastic.

If they put a decent tire on there from the factory you wouldn't have to worry about it.
So there is no need for any vehicle to have all wheel drive on any road surface in any weather condition? Tires can do it all?
I like having the 242 on my Cherokee. Winter road conditions can be patchy, snow or ice areas mixed with dry sections of pavement. Can't use part time in those conditions.
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #36
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Really, no.

ThunderbirdJunkie has driven in gnarly Michigan winters in RWD Thunderbirds with good tires and never had an issue.

ThunderbirdJunkie hardly ever engages 4wd in his Jeep because of snow on the ground unless it's a foot+ on the driveway.

Tires make 100% of the difference. Without good tires, you should just stay home, regardless of vehicle.

As for the patchy areas...4WD helps you go in inclement weather. All cars have 4 wheel brakes. If you need to put it in 4wd to go over a patch of ice, you're probably going too fast.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.