Why not a 3.7L Diesel? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Why not a 3.7L Diesel?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 11-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #91
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegoat

just wondering but why did you buy a jeep
I would think the same reason you did l love jeeps !

Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #92
whitegoat

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungerer View Post
I would think the same reason you did l love jeeps !
is your jeep 4wd?

13' JK, leveled, 33"s (my mall crawler)
99' XJ limited, 6" w/ 3 link, 35" procomps
04' Rubicon 4.5" long arm, 35" bfg km2's -sold
91' XJ 6.5" rough country, 34" LTB's - sold
76' CJ5 4", 36" TSL's - sold
whitegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #93
Ungerer

Quote:

is your jeep 4wd?
Yes it is and I love the way it is with the v6 but I was only say that other people mite like more motors to pic from ? And it was a good post about me being a six year old the wife calls me a two year old all the time lol
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #94
Ungerer

Quote:

because theres not a big enough demand for diesels & jeep would loose a lot of money
Are you talking about the USA or all over the world. as I have been in to mackay in the last week and all you see is diesel JGC here in oz ? I have the v6 3.6 and all the JGC that have started to come on the roads are diesels . Have only seen one v8
;( 14L to20L for 100km is turning people to the v6,s lol
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #95
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i agree use a cummins isf, the new common rails run much smoother, quiter, make more power, use less fuel and cummins are about the easiest diesel to work on as diesels become more and more advanced. i have worked on big bore cummins from the 855s to the isx 15s and they are jsut getting better and better. havent messed with the smaller ones but would expect nothing less from cummins........

IMO offer a 4 cyl cummins isf, v6 gasser and a v8 gasser.
jebmccall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #96
whitegoat

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungerer View Post
are you talking about the usa or all over the world. As i have been in to mackay in the last week and all you see is diesel jgc here in oz ? I have the v6 3.6 and all the jgc that have started to come on the roads are diesels . Have only seen one v8
;( 14l to20l for 100km is turning people to the v6,s lol
us

Unread 11-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #97
Ungerer

Quote:

us
Ok
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #98
Ungerer

In oz the numbers for jeeps sales is 5 to around 1 ! 5 diesel to 1 petrol
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #99
whitegoat

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungerer View Post
In oz the numbers for jeeps sales is 5 to around 1 ! 5 diesel to 1 petrol
not a lot of people in the us buy diesels for daily comuting, mostly for pulling or working, the would not be a big enough demand for jeep to have more than 1 diesel

Unread 11-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #100
Ungerer

Quote:

not a lot of people in the us buy diesels for daily comuting, mostly for pulling or working, the would not be a big enough demand for jeep to have more than 1 diesel
Ok but it would be interesting to see the numbers around the world ,diesel to petrol ? Because diesel has always had more numbers sold to petrol in oz and I am talking about all 4x4,s on the market ! Because of L to 100km diesels have the lions share of the market in oz . And we only get 4x4 JGC in oz
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #101
muduck18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegoat View Post
why do you think that is?

maybe because the only ones you can find in this country are worthless, loaded up with gobs of useless emissions garbage, and carry a HUGE price tag over top of the normal petrol engine.

Not to mention aside from the Dodge truck none of the vehicles that offer diesel in the US are even remotely attractive to me (and It seems many of the people that would consider it)

1996 xj 4.0l, Ax15, 5.5" RE Springs, JKS Control arms, JCR 1-ton Steering, SYE, JKS disco's,4.56 Yukon gears, D44 rear, Custom Bumpers... Blood Sweat and Tears - aka Envy - Sold :-(
muduck18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #102
jeepmtnbiker
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6580 View Post
International built a tractor with a v-8 diesel. It was a huge flop. I myself have worked around and on diesel engines. If you notice your big v-8's are in mostly industrial equipment. Maybe we need a truck driver to share some input. V-8 lack torque, not all but most, that inlines have. There's really no argument. Its just not practical.
There is no comparisson, I drive a 68,000 pound (almost 20x heavier than a tj) truck for work, it has a straight 6 cylinder cat diesel. I think that the best engine possible for a jeep would be a small 4 cylinder turbo diesel. No V8 no V6 for sure, and there is no reason for a straight 6. If I could afford the swap I would be putting a vw tdi motor in my jeep because I think even the cummins 4bt is overkill, a smaller, lighter engine would be more than enough for me. But to go with the original post if jeep came out with a 4 door jk with a 3.7 diesel (or smaller) I would be on the preorder list.

Here is "my" truck...
jeepmtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #103
whitegoat

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muduck18 View Post
why do you think that is?

maybe because the only ones you can find in this country are worthless, loaded up with gobs of useless emissions garbage, and carry a HUGE price tag over top of the normal petrol engine.

Not to mention aside from the Dodge truck none of the vehicles that offer diesel in the US are even remotely attractive to me (and It seems many of the people that would consider it)
there is no way jeep is going to come out with a line up of diesels to pick from

Unread 11-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #104
muduck18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegoat View Post
there is no way jeep is going to come out with a line up of diesels to pick from
I think you missed the point.

diesel in the US (jeep and non jeep) in the car / suv market.... doesn't have the volume "people don't buy diesel"

my point was.. because the auto makers put them in the expensive model, and charge extra for them, so much extra that the fuel savings and economy of it doesn't make sense and people in the US can't justify it so sales are lower.

Auto makers decide what "people" are going to buy years in advance, then adjust price and production quantity to match what they want to produce... Don't believe me? try to buy a stripped down base model at a Chevy Dealership. most (around me anyway) will have to order it, and for only a couple hundred more you can have this other one that is on the lot and has x, y and z.

The US auto market does not have Diesel because the auto makers don't want us to.

(in essence I'm agreeing with you that we won't see a jeep diesel lineup...)

1996 xj 4.0l, Ax15, 5.5" RE Springs, JKS Control arms, JCR 1-ton Steering, SYE, JKS disco's,4.56 Yukon gears, D44 rear, Custom Bumpers... Blood Sweat and Tears - aka Envy - Sold :-(
muduck18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #105
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muduck18

I think you missed the point.

diesel in the US (jeep and non jeep) in the car / suv market.... doesn't have the volume "people don't buy diesel"

my point was.. because the auto makers put them in the expensive model, and charge extra for them, so much extra that the fuel savings and economy of it doesn't make sense and people in the US can't justify it so sales are lower.

Auto makers decide what "people" are going to buy years in advance, then adjust price and production quantity to match what they want to produce... Don't believe me? try to buy a stripped down base model at a Chevy Dealership. most (around me anyway) will have to order it, and for only a couple hundred more you can have this other one that is on the lot and has x, y and z.

The US auto market does not have Diesel because the auto makers don't want us to.

(in essence I'm agreeing with you that we won't see a jeep diesel lineup...)
But the market in Australia is around the over way more diesels are sold to petrols ! But don't know about world wide I am talking about 4x4,s they are sold more as diesels as it is Cheeper to run then petrol in Australia ? I am looking at the world market not USA only ? And in the bigger jeeps as the GC is not small

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.