Are we looking at the end of the compact truck based suv? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Are we looking at the end of the compact truck based suv?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Are we looking at the end of the compact truck based suv?

Sort of makes me sick to think that we may not be able to get a compact truck based suv in the future Everything seems to be moving toward a car platform with less capability and more luxury. I really need a utility vehicle without the luxury. It is also increasingly harder to find a rear wheel drive and manual tranny. Two things I hate to do without.

The Cherokee got the axe and from what I've heard so is the Liberty. It looks like other manufacturers are also following the same path. Styling across the board is all looking pretty similar and ugly in my opinion.

Any prospects for the future. I'd love to have another Jeep, but would consider a switch to get what I need. Do you think anyone will step up to the plate or are we looking at the end? Let the b!tch session begin

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

By used, quit your moaning.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

good thing xj's run forever.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
Sort of makes me sick to think that we may not be able to get a compact truck based suv in the future

The Cherokee got the axe and from what I've heard so is the Liberty.
Technically the Cherokee and Liberty SUV's were not compact truck based. The XJ did share some parts with the MJ Comanche but the Liberty/Nitro SUV's never had a compact truck stablemate.

When people say truck based they typically are thinking body on frame. Both Cherokee and Liberty are unibody.

While the next Liberty replacement will use a FIAT platform (platform is just a set of dimensions) it remains to be seen what kind of drive train and suspension components will be used for the Jeep vehicle.

But like you I am concerned. If I can no longer get the features that made me buy my Cherokee's from Jeep then why buy a new Jeep? If I have to settle for watered down I might as well shop elsewhere. I can probably get watered down cheaper from some other automaker.
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Sunshine316
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna be the asswipe here, but here goes.

Isn't the cherokee largely credited as the first Unibody Suv, and therefore the one that started the "Carlike SUV" trend?

You have to at least be happy that they never changed the cherokee from the 80s on up to 2001, and you still had solid axles under the grand until halfway through the decade, and to this day STILL we have an SUV that has either two or four (REMOVABLE) doors, Solid axles, Manual transmissions, LOCKERS (FTW!) and a damn fold down winsdhield! and theyre selling like hotcakes, so I doubt the four door AND 2 door wrangler is going anywhere.

So I feel we will always have a truck based SUV, that can be had with a stickshift and a lever operated transfer case. Hell, Car and Driver and Motor Trend have both tested the wrangler, *****ed about how they ride, but said "Jeep will never change it, because if they do, legions of angry purists will burn Chrysler to the ground"
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sunshine said it perfect! As long as the Wrangler still exists, who needs a traditional SUV? My dad claims he heard some rumors that Ford may be looking at resurecting the Bronco (FINALLY!!!!) and the toyota FJ is still kickin so all isnt lost just yet. A true 'sports-utility' should offer a 2 door mile and a removeable top available is a HUGE must have, as are the manual tranny and solid axles so Jeep still wins.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ohhh the technicalities. Maybe I should have said less truck like or more car like. The XJ seems more compact than anything else in it's class, technically not compact, but that's how I see it. So it's considered mid size? Anyway I'm still ticked off with the way things are headed. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same.

I guess I never thought of a Wrangler as a suv. When I think suv I think hard top XJ, Explorer, Bronco, Blazer. The Wrangler is in it's own class in my book.

I'd love to have another XJ, but my long search has turned up nil in my 250 mile radius. Has to be close to a year now. 4x4, No rust, low miles, 4 door, manual tranny. Something that's going to last 15 years for a DD. I've found several low mile autos, but don't want to own one, I drive one for work. I'd even go for the 2.5l engine like I have now.

I guess my frustration is all coming to a head and ending up as gibberish on the forum. Sorry about that. Maybe I need to take up drinking again
Unread 06-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Sunshine316
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No, you just gotta broaden your search. I went through the same thing last winter. I wanted a nice 5 speed cherokee, i didnt care if it had 150,000 on it, just as long as it had a clean body (In ohio? yeah right) I gave up and started looking for a patriot. Somehow my wife ended up with an Impala.....FML.

Anywho, You have to realize that anyone who has a low mileage 5 speed cherokee in half *** decent condition, is probably not willing to come off of it.
Unread 06-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine316 View Post
Anywho, You have to realize that anyone who has a low mileage 5 speed cherokee in half *** decent condition, is probably not willing to come off of it.
Your right about that. Thus my search for something comparable and my frustration in not finding an answer. I've looked long and hard at the Patriot, but can't bring myself to buy one. I'll probably end up getting a 2008 Liberty since that's the last year you could get the manual tranny.

I'm really going to miss a good old rear wheel drive with axles and leaf springs. The front wheel drive systems seem a lot more complicated, harder to work on and less capable off road. I'd call them one dimensional and less versatile. Why are the utility vehicles moving in this direction?

BadAsh74
I'd like to see the Bronco come back, although it probably won't be anything like the old ones. They'll probably just use the name.
Unread 06-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't Jeep say they're bringing back the Wagoneer for 2013? Maybe you'll get lucky there. As for the Bronco... I saw the prototype Ford came out with about 5 years ago at a car show. It was a thing of beauty, and I totally would've bought it instead of my TJ, had they made it... I'm still hoping it comes out, cause I'm gonna want a new DD in another 5 years or so, and I don't like JKs (of course we may be on to the next model Wrangler by then).

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

The designs i saw for the waggy remake looked more like a Ford Flex than the woody i learn to drive in.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
bluefever

the new wagoneer is suppose to have much loncher overhangs than the commander,because chrysler felt that was why it didn't sell worth crap,i believe they intend it to be a possibly competitor to the cadillac escalade in some form,another soccer mom mobile tarnishing what I consider to be a legends name,who cares,i don't.
bluefever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
As for the Bronco... I saw the prototype Ford came out with about 5 years ago at a car show. It was a thing of beauty, and I totally would've bought it instead of my TJ, had they made it... I'm still hoping it comes out
Where Ford went wrong with this concept is they used the Escape as the basis for it. The bodystyle was a sight to behold, but a fwd based crossover...F off. They should use a scaled down F-150 frame/running gear but offer the 5.0 v-8 as top option with standard and maybe even the ecoboost V6 as base engines. Oh and a manual tranny option with ALL engines.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

Chrysler Jeep - New Wagoneer More like a Durango, With a Grand Cherokee's grill n head lights

Ok so they "tweak" the drive train a bit to make it "Different"

Mike

1982 AM-Jeep J-5500 / 1988 AM-Jeep MJ-343 / 1992 GTA Trans AM / 2007 Honda Rubicon.
AMCSportTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #15
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAsh74 View Post
Where Ford went wrong with this concept is they used the Escape as the basis for it. The bodystyle was a sight to behold, but a fwd based crossover...F off. They should use a scaled down F-150 frame/running gear but offer the 5.0 v-8 as top option with standard and maybe even the ecoboost V6 as base engines. Oh and a manual tranny option with ALL engines.
All I remember is slick retro styling, an integrated winch, removable rear roof, and diesel engine... Beyond that... The rest has faded from my memory in the past 5 or 6 years...

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.