Turbo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Turbo

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Ungerer

Turbo

It would be good to see a turbo v6 or v8 GC ? Srt8 or a v6 twin turbo

Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
1SlowStang

Turbos are for race cars lol jk. I can't see a turbo being beneficial to a truck that spends time in the mud and needs power now.
1SlowStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SlowStang
Turbos are for race cars lol jk. I can't see a turbo being beneficial to a truck that spends time in the mud and needs power now.
So take the turbo off the diesel and see what it's like then lol ? The 3.6 would go better supercharged people that I have talked to at work like the superchargers not turbos lol
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

A turbo or a supercharger would be nice, I have the 3.7 in my Jeep. Kenneth Belle designed a supercharger for 3.7 the problem was that pistons couldn't handle the increased compression. So the company stopped making them, but if you still wanted to supercharge your engine you needed to replace the stock pistons with forged pistons among many other things. Engines today are more technological & complicated, burn cleaner, somewhat more efficient, but also have thinner cylinder walls and more plastic.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello
A turbo or a supercharger would be nice, I have the 3.7 in my Jeep. Kenneth Belle designed a supercharger for 3.7 the problem was that pistons couldn't handle the increased compression. So the company stopped making them, but if you still wanted to supercharge your engine you needed to replace the stock pistons with forged pistons among many other things. Engines today are more technological & complicated, burn cleaner, somewhat more efficient, but also have thinner cylinder walls and more plastic.
It has been said to me by a friend that as long as you don't go too big with a supercharger it's ok , but he did say that if you are looking for big numbers you will have to work the motor ! And 50 to 100 hp is not that big you could get half of that number by cold air & sports system .from the motor to the back of the jeep not cats back ! Let her air run free from intake at the motor to , all the way back to bumper and see what you get from her in (hp gained ) then chip her and put a supercharger on that little v6 , but at 290hp is she small like some like to think ? She's a good motor that I have put 10,000 on and she go,s when I put my foot down , and runs hard all the time . I like the v6 I did order a v8 but got the v6 and would not give it back
Unread 11-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I think a turbo would definitely be a plus, I think new regime in Chrysler is talking about doing with new Penstar engines for the Maserati line of vehicles in the future as a possibility.

Moreover, for the older style engines it would be great so long as it too much, but it would help for trailer towing, and/or a heavily weighted vehicle from a combo of extra armor and just stuff going up some long steep grades. There are couple sections on Rte 80 in PA and another hwy forgot the #, but out in Binghamton, NY.

Either way it would be a great option :]
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

turbos are best on inline engines since a V- configuration normally needs 2 of them. AND they make the power at higher rpms...not really suited to Jeeps. A supercharger would be right where its at on the SRT-8 GC but in the case of the Wrangler it just needs a V-8 instead of trying to make a v-6 something that it isnt.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAsh74
turbos are best on inline engines since a V- configuration normally needs 2 of them. AND they make the power at higher rpms...not really suited to Jeeps. A supercharger would be right where its at on the SRT-8 GC but in the case of the Wrangler it just needs a V-8 instead of trying to make a v-6 something that it isnt.
The new v6 diesel has one turbo on it , but you would think twins would work better
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

To answer your reply about cat back systems, and cold air intakes and chips. I have heard good and not so good things about those mods. I think a turbo so long as it isn't insanely giving you boost would benefit a Jeep in power and efficiency. In my situation, my Lib is still under warranty and have a long way to go before it will be paid off. But it is nice to dream LOL!

However, what I was thinking about for a Lib is replacing 3.7 with a 4.7, which would require a lot of computer work and many new parts, being abloe to pass emissions. On the flip side the 4.7 is only 54lbs heavier then the 3.7 and produces about 100 more hp and about 100 more ft lbs torque. That would be interesting, well maybe if I win the lottery.
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #10
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello
To answer your reply about cat back systems, and cold air intakes and chips. I have heard good and not so good things about those mods. I think a turbo so long as it isn't insanely giving you boost would benefit a Jeep in power and efficiency. In my situation, my Lib is still under warranty and have a long way to go before it will be paid off. But it is nice to dream LOL!

However, what I was thinking about for a Lib is replacing 3.7 with a 4.7, which would require a lot of computer work and many new parts, being abloe to pass emissions. On the flip side the 4.7 is only 54lbs heavier then the 3.7 and produces about 100 more hp and about 100 more ft lbs torque. That would be interesting, well maybe if I win the lottery.
Would you get the small v8 4.7L
In her you are talking about the small v8 ? 290 hp for the 3.6 L
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungerer View Post
The new v6 diesel has one turbo on it , but you would think twins would work better
The only issue I have there is if you have just one turbo on a V-banked engine then that means theres no way to run true duals on it...
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAsh74

The only issue I have there is if you have just one turbo on a V-banked engine then that means theres no way to run true duals on it...
I think the same ,but have talked to a mate that is putting one on v8 ford and he said its better to have one big turbo ,I don't know
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungerer View Post
Would you get the small v8 4.7L
In her you are talking about the small v8 ? 290 hp for the 3.6 L
If I was able to do it and having a choice of either engine, I would totally prefer the 4.7L V-8 over the 3.6L Pentstar. The 4.7L has about 60 more ft lbs of torque and they do make an aftermarket supercharger for it A second reason I would choose the 4.7L is that the headers and and heads are one peice on the 3.6, so you really can't repalced the headers. Anyway I think the 4.7L is rated at 320ft lbs verses about 265ftlbs for the Pentstar.

Moreover, I can also be wrong about thinking this, I always thought that a well balanced engine would have higher torque rating then horsepower rating, but I could be wrong. (4.7L = 290/320, 3.6L= 290/265).

You'll all have a good Thanksgiving
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
Ungerer

Ok It has been said to me that the 4.7 v8 is a good motor
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

I would put the kenne belle supercharger on my Jlib:

Due to insufficient demand, we have stopped production on the 3.7 Jeep Liberty kit.

• Big increase in horsepower and torque - EVERYWHERE.
• INSTANT FULL BOOST / HORSEPOWER & TORQUE at ANY rpm - 2000 up.
• No "boost lag" as with centrifugal superchargers & turbos.
• Fat Flat torque curve for performance, towing, climbing, etc.
• Boost and power on demand only when needed.
• *EXCLUSIVE: Twin Screw / Billet Aluminum Supercharger
• *EXCLUSIVE: Kenne Bell OPTIMIZER II™ to reprogram fuel and spark
• *EXCLUSIVE: Kenne Bell OPTIMIZER II™ to improve transmission shift quality.
• *EXCLUSIVE: Kenne Bell OPTIMIZER II™ Knock Protection.
• Optional Laminova Finned Tube Intercooler (+30HP).
• New 42 lb. injectors (6). Stock is 24 lb.
• 60-80 degrees cooler air charge temperature and requires 10-16 less HP to drive than roots style.*
• No other engine or transmission changes required.
• Internally lubricted. No tapping holes in the oil pan. Doesn't use engine oil.
• All necessary parts inlcudedin kit.
• Available in satin finish or polished.
• Whisper Quiet. • Best Engineered Kit.

*The OPTIMIZER ll™ is a Kenne Bell exclusive chip that re-programs the stock computer's engine and transmission functions.

**300-650HP range. Varies with boost level.
perf-chart.gif   torque-chart.gif  
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.