Top 10 engines for 2012 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Top 10 engines for 2012

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Top 10 engines for 2012

I was hoping the 392 hemi would make the list, but in all fairness, one of the criteria was efficiency: making the most hp with the least amount of fuel.

10 Best Engines, Two Non-Engines Make List
BY NELSON IRESON
August 27, 2011

The Ward's 10 Best Engine list is usually a graphic exercise in what we want under our hoods, but this year's list includes a pair of "engines" that give a nod to the developing reality of modern powertrains: those of the Nissan LEAF and Chevrolet Volt.

OK, so maybe the Volt is only half a non-engine, depending on how you look at things, but it's still a non-traditional inclusion on a list that includes the likes of Audi's 3.0-liter TFSI supercharged V-6, Ford's 5.0-liter V-8, and the 2.0-liter inline four turbodiesel from VW.

The LEAF's powertrain isn't an engine at all, by any definition of the word, as it's purely electric. The Volt's system includes a 1.4-liter four paired with a 111 kW motor, but the engine only functions as a generator except for a few specific circumstances, making it a less-suspect but still shady inclusion on the list.

Not that we have any problem with the Volt or LEAF being recognized for their innovation. The problem instead lies with the name of the list. Perhaps the fact that the Volt and LEAF deserve to be on the list indicate it's time for Ward's to recognize the paradigm shift in modern vehicles and change the name to match.

The full list of winners is below.

Ward's 10 Best Engines 2011:

3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i)
1.6L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mini Cooper S)
3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Dodge Avenger)
5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT)
1.4L DOHC I-4/111kW Drive Motor (Chevrolet Volt)
5.0L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
80kW AC Synchronous Electric Motor (Nissan Leaf)
2.0L DOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta TDI)
3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (Volvo S60)

Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
USAFRecon

So what is the difference in the Pentastar they put in the Wranger and the one they put in the Avenger? Different tune?
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFRecon View Post
So what is the difference in the Pentastar they put in the Wrangler and the one they put in the Avenger? Different tune?
Jeep added a loop to the exhaust system for tuning and the alternator is also mounted backwards due to clearance issues. There are probably other differences but those are the two that are externally noticeable. Computer was likely tweaked to match engine with transmissions, etc.
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why didnt they mention the VVT 5.7 Hemi? With the kind of power that thing is pumping out and in certain vehicles it gets mpgs just shy of what an econobox can. For my money, 27 mpg out of a rwd fullsize car powered by a V-8 is a MUCH more efficient package than 32 mpg out of a diddly little hyundai struggling to keep up on the freeway.

And the mere mention of any hybrid electric garbage is a total joke. This is just a bunch of hyped up feelgood greenie nonsense aimed at non-enthusiast treehuggers. No REAL gearhead has any interest in this kind of thing. In fact, I say any electric car should be treated as an appliance...not an automobile.
BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAsh74 View Post
Why didnt they mention the VVT 5.7 Hemi? With the kind of power that thing is pumping out and in certain vehicles it gets mpgs just shy of what an econobox can. For my money, 27 mpg out of a rwd fullsize car powered by a V-8 is a MUCH more efficient package than 32 mpg out of a diddly little hyundai struggling to keep up on the freeway.

And the mere mention of any hybrid electric garbage is a total joke. This is just a bunch of hyped up feelgood greenie nonsense aimed at non-enthusiast treehuggers. No REAL gearhead has any interest in this kind of thing. In fact, I say any electric car should be treated as an appliance...not an automobile.
well said
Unread 01-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

ust a few years back, Chrysler could count seven different V-6 engines used throughout its product lineup. In an industry where streamlining and reduced production costs are everything, that’s an awfully large cross to bear.

In 2009, Chrysler announced its 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine, which entered production in 2010 for the 2011 model year. Since then, the engine has found its way into 13 Chrysler Group vehicles, or more if you count the Volkswagen Routan and the various Fiats and Lancias using it in other parts of the world.

As The Detroit News tells us, Chrysler will build it’s one millionth Pentastar V-6 this week. As much as the brand’s revised styling, or improved quality or vastly improved interiors, the Pentastar V-6 is a driving force behind Chrysler’s current resurgence.

It’s powerful, making up to 305 horsepower in the Dodge Challenger. It’s versatile, powering everything from the Jeep Wrangler to, potentially, the next Maserati sedan (where it's expected to make over 400 horsepower in turbocharged form).

It’s even fuel-efficient, and when mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission helps the new Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 achieve better than 30 mpg on the highway.

The Pentastar V-6 has also earned “Ward’s 10 Best Engines” honors for the past two years running, which recognizes just how good the Pentastar is in a highly competitive market.

Look for further variations of the Pentastar V-6 in the coming years, including both a 370-horsepower single-turbo version and a 420-horsepower twin-turbo variant. We’re big fans of the engine, and congratulate Chrysler on its milestone achievement.
0chrysler-pentastar-v-6-engine_100308666_l.jpg  
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I am shocked my 3.7L didn't make the list lol - not really. What surprised me is that Chevy's ZO6, 7.0 Liter didnt make it. Here is an engine producing over 500hp and when driven modestly pulling about 32mpg. My neighbor's just bought 2011 Vette, it's insane.

The only bummer is that it can't go offroad lol. So much for Ward.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Flinticus

5.0hhh yes!

I can definitely vouch for the 5.0 V8 in the Mustang it rides smooth, drives mean and sounds unbelieveable!! When I test drove one, everyone was looking to see "what was coming" everytime I gave it a little gas. It has 412HP with 390lb-ft of torque and maxes out at 31 MPG!! (according to the window sticker & on the highway of course).....if you can afford it--- BUY ONE!!
Flinticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
padgett
2012 WK 

Take another look at the list, except for the non-engine, all were DOHC which is needed for full VVT.

One of these is a diesel.
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
AMCMasterTech
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wards has flurbed more than once in the past, with the most glaring, IMO, the 6.0 Power(MY GOD I JUST HAD A)Stroke diesel. Of course, they had no idea at the time that it would be a production disaster, as the design was innovative, compact, and powerful.

I bought an 11 Chally Rallye and worried, for a very short time, that the Pentastar would crater. SOOOO glad to be wrong; it is, without a doubt, the MOST impressive engine ever in my stable. And I've owned over 250 automobiles, tractors, trucks, and a few Cub Cadets. Incredibly smooth, powerful, fast, efficient plant that is as good as any engine on the market today. And they did it right the first time; lots of room for expansion to direct injection, as well as possible application with Atkinson technology (which it dang near has with phased vari-cams).

Love it.

Roy D. Chapin Jr.
AMCMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.