square headlights again???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > square headlights again????

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 10-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
GRN_BEAST95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

square headlights again????

Will chrysler ever bring the square headlights back to the jeep? i like them as you can tell cuz i got a YJ but i think this is a good idea. maybe for another short period of time.

Green Jeep member 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojeeper View Post
Guam. I spent a week there one night.
GRN_BEAST95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I doubt it.

So many people whined and whined about the stupid headlights during the YJ years, Chrysler got scared off them, even though the square lights actually put more light on the road....... (comparing sealed beams that is, I know modern light technology has changed that with newer lights).

and what was worse, is that alot of purists flat out boycotted Jeep during those years, although it was a bad time to introduce TWO major changes at once (headlights AND the addition of creature comforts, first and largest alteration of the Jeep in decades), it hardly deserved the irrational reactions of many elitests.

I too think retro square lights would be cool, but in regards to headlights, image is everything apparently, and when someone thinks "Jeep" they picture that seven slot grill with accompanying round headlights.

being honest though, I can't picture a TJ with square headlights, and I can't picture a YJ with round headlights, I like how each model ended up in the appearances department, I wouldn't change anything.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
XJ2Timer

Well, technically, the lights on the Commander and new Liberty aren't round either.
Unread 10-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
EdwinALink
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, but i think those would be considered "polygonal"

not square... but the important thing is they're pointy...

yay pointy!
Unread 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
GRN_BEAST95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

who knows chrysler could suprise us. that would be cool to have a flash back edition for the wrangler
Green Jeep member 153
Quote:
Unread 10-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
MoparToYou
2013 JK Wrangler 

I don't think it had anything to do with square headlights. Rather, the square headlights just became a symbol that people used to voice their overall disatisfaction with the YJ. As the YJ was initially released to the public it was a major step down in off road capability compared to the CJ it replaced. Suspension articulation was severly limited with almost rigid swaybars, in an attempt to decrease rollover propensity. As a result the "new" Jeep with square headlights was a big step backwards for numerous Jeep purist. The fact that it had square headlights just gave people something different that they could see, and that they could use in a slogan about real Jeeps not having square headlights.

MoparToYou.
MoparToYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
EdwinALink
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, in my mind the YJ's the worst (wrangler-esqe)jeep. it has the negatives of both CJs & TJs. but none of the positives

in that it has reduced capability of the TJ. but none of the comforts.

and the poor handling of the CJ but none of the power or durability.

as a stock vehicle i dont see its value, but i try not to state that often. because i've seen plenty of good builds and dedicated owners in the YJ populous!
Unread 10-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
GRN_BEAST95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

of course this all coming from a couple of TJ owners. haha jk

the topic of the thread is square headlights again??? not worse offroad capability again???? headlights dont affect anything but lighting and looks. thats what this thread it about.
Green Jeep member 153
Quote:
Unread 10-15-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

i always liked the look of the yj. i miss mine a ton. although, not so much with a new JK filling the garage.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Mesa4x4
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN_BEAST95 View Post
of course this all coming from a couple of TJ owners. haha jk

the topic of the thread is square headlights again??? not worse offroad capability again???? headlights dont affect anything but lighting and looks. thats what this thread it about.

You brought up something that is a sore spont in jeep history for on reason or another. The YJ and Square headlights represent an era of the jeep that passionate jeepers didn't care for. As for the wrangler I think it would be a huge mistake personally for that reason alone. I don't however think it would effect the sales if they did, as long as the Jeep itself wasn't down graded. A lot of people would ***** though!

I pesonally think the YJ gets a bad rap. Yes it was stiff, but bigger frame rails, the intro of the 4.0, Wider leaf packs, and with a sway bar disconnect (or removal) and longer shackles you get the articulation from a stock jeep. Of course because of its marginal following it makes for a great jeep to build cause they are cheap!!! Besides CJ Grill and Hood looks great on a YJ
Mesa4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #11
MoparToYou
2013 JK Wrangler 

The YJ also marked somewhat of a transition point in the sport of 4-wheeling. It was about that time frame that owners started modifying their Jeeps more and more for offroad use. Many CJs were taken off road in more or less stock configuration. With the introduction of the YJ more owners started disconnecting swaybars, adding suspension lifts, bigger tires, lockers, and a number of the other enhancements we enjoy today. Many of these mods were done out of necessity, because of the poorer out of the box offroad performance of the YJ, relative to the CJ. People latched on to the square headlight deal as a catch phrase, saying that "real Jeeps" didn't have square headlights, but the shape of the headlights had nothing to do with it (obviously). The square headlights were just something that was instantly identifiable as a new Jeep that was less capable than the old Jeep.

I personally could care less what shape the headlights are. And I would certainly hope that Jeep engineers didn't really think it was the shape of the headlights that fostered the dissatisfaction with the YJ, ... as it was released in stock form. If they think keeping the headlights round is all Jeep purist are wanting, then future Jeeps are in trouble. I do not think that is the case though. I'm fine with square headlights on future Jeeps, as long as the rest of the Jeep remains capable. The headlight on my KTM dirt bike is a funky pentagon shaped thing, and I'm fine with that as well.

MoparToYou

Last edited by MoparToYou; 10-15-2008 at 08:43 AM..
MoparToYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
EdwinALink
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
You brought up something that is a sore spont in jeep history for on reason or another. The YJ and Square headlights represent an era of the jeep that passionate jeepers didn't care for. As for the wrangler I think it would be a huge mistake personally for that reason alone. I don't however think it would effect the sales if they did, as long as the Jeep itself wasn't down graded. A lot of people would ***** though!

I pesonally think the YJ gets a bad rap. Yes it was stiff, but bigger frame rails, the intro of the 4.0, Wider leaf packs, and with a sway bar disconnect (or removal) and longer shackles you get the articulation from a stock jeep. Of course because of its marginal following it makes for a great jeep to build cause they are cheap!!! Besides CJ Grill and Hood looks great on a YJ

oh, yeah. i can get imaculate well optioned yjs around here for no more than 4 grand!

and the CJ8 tub-frame conversion is pretty straight forward. i hear!

i totally wouldnt mind a project yj!
but sadly thats probably what my TJ will become. after i finish school and buy a JK... or, if thats still running the 3.8 only option when i finish school...possibly a tacoma, or anything else burly with enough power to pass on the highway.

and back to the square headlights, theres rumors that the reason the new 1500 dodge ram went to a coil rear end was so that it could share its platform with a full size jeep truck.

and what better place to get away with square headlights than a reborn J-truck!?
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #13
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
I doubt it.

So many people whined and whined about the stupid headlights during the YJ years, Chrysler got scared off them, even though the square lights actually put more light on the road....... (comparing sealed beams that is, I know modern light technology has changed that with newer lights).

and what was worse, is that alot of purists flat out boycotted Jeep during those years, although it was a bad time to introduce TWO major changes at once (headlights AND the addition of creature comforts, first and largest alteration of the Jeep in decades), it hardly deserved the irrational reactions of many elitests.

I too think retro square lights would be cool, but in regards to headlights, image is everything apparently, and when someone thinks "Jeep" they picture that seven slot grill with accompanying round headlights.

being honest though, I can't picture a TJ with square headlights, and I can't picture a YJ with round headlights, I like how each model ended up in the appearances department, I wouldn't change anything.
Hehe, technology def. changed. My JK's lights so bright that I get flashed every time I go out at night and I don't need my high beams... because they hit the top of the trees..
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Speaking of square headlights....

BRING BACK THE CHEROKEE, THE LIBERTY SUCKS!
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

agreed. the liberty is hardly a replacement for the cherokee.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.