Six Ways The 2014 Jeep Cherokee Is Better Than The XJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Six Ways The 2014 Jeep Cherokee Is Better Than The XJ

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Street legal Rally Fighter has 18" vertical travel. Most heavily modified rigs can't touch that.

I like the simplicity of solid axles, but they aren't the only way to go.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
funkduck
2002 WJ 

I have no problem with the looks and I have no problem with IFS, but don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

1. A bone stock XJ can walk up to any stone or ledge half as tall as its front tire and climb it with no sweat and no damage and no special input from the driver.

You have to kill all the ground clearance to match Honda's MPG ratings? How about instead of being a bunch of wimpy apologists, you put in your ad copy "Doesn't get as good mileage as a CR-V, but you can drive on top of one if you want to, that's why you're shopping for a Jeep right? "

.... tall ground clearance means taller step-in height? So advertise it like "All terrain capability for all terrain drivers. if you can't climb into it in your driveway you probably can't walk on the uneven ground once you get off pavement anyway" - or better yet, let people whose mobility is limited get a version of the same vehicle with quadra-lift on it. There's no reason differently abled people should be excluded, but there's also no reason capable people should be handicapped.

.... tall cars with good articulation are easier to roll-over? Really? So are motorcycles and I don't see anyone taking those off the market. - are you such a bad driver that you can't adjust your driving to match the characteristics of the vehicle? Stop by your local Jeep dealer for a free vasectomy so you don't pollute the future with your substandard DNA.

... it's not that hard Jeep, stop trying to be everything to everyone other than your Jeep audience.

------------------------------------------
  2. Anybody, without any effort hunting down a super special deal, can buy a 3" no-compromises lift kit for an XJ for less than $300 and double the already impressive capability of the vehicle in an afternoon. Because they use Dana axles and a ton of cross-platform shared parts, there are a billion and ten options for configuring the vehicle exactly how you want it. Believe it or not, that's actually something that many Jeep buyers like doing! We actually get a kick out of combining assorted parts and seeing how it turns out, experimenting with cross-pollenated bits from other vehicles, making the vehicle our own to suit our own tastes and that goes a bit deeper than what color tree to hang from the mirror or what clever abbreviation to put on the license plate. If we wanted BASIC TRANSPORTATION FOR BASIC HUMANS we'd get a Corolla. How on earth can Jeep be oblivious to this fact?

3. The XJ lasted in an almost un-altered format for what, 17 years? You can put doors from an 85 on an 01. You can just about put all the 01 goodies on an 85. You could buy a brand new XJ, it could get you laid, and then you could buy a brand new XJ just like it for your kid 17 years later.

4. Making something like this out of a 2014 cherokee is literally impossible without gutting 100% of the drivetrain and mounting parts (probably from an XJ) to the shell, which at that point you could start with a ******* Nissan Leaf for all it matters.

Or you could do it to an XJ with its stock drivetrain, in your driveway in a few weekends with hand tools.

5. Some of us don't have or want kids. You could get a 2 door XJ. There's no 2 door 2014 Cherokee.

6. Some of us prefer a manual transmission for whatever reason. You could get a manual transmission in an XJ. There's no manual transmission 2014 Cherokee.

Look, I'm not in love with the XJ, I've never owned an XJ and probably won't ever buy an XJ. I also don't hate the looks or technology of the 2014 Cherokee. I don't care that they call it Cherokee. Nobody at Jeep is making me cry. But if you're going to utterly miss the point of why Jeep buyers buy Jeeps instead of RAV4's and Subarus and whatever... welcome to not selling me anything.

If my honesty and frankness offend you.. you've got some weird priorities but please know that none of this was written with intent to offend.
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #18
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As a side point, here is an article about the history of the XJ, and how (assuming this guy has his facts correct) much the design was influenced by Renault.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbs...ks-to-renault/

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
Michaels99XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

lol'd

99' XJ 3" Rustys Suspension. (Daily Driver).
Michaels99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I mentioned this on a couple of other posts. Some manufacturers have the ability of developing new technologies for their premium models. In the meantime, their average models use existing engineering and technology that has been proven to be both durable and reliable and proven. The body, suspension, the engine and transmission are all brand new and very complicated. If Fiat just started with the engine for example and stuck in the current Lib (personally I would love the Vm Diesel) and kept the drive train. Then, a year or 2 later, the trans, then modifying the trans to work as a fwd unit for this new model. Fiat/Jeep would have more time to work kinks and making the new Jeep more reliable and durable with a new look.

As far as the 6 reasons the only thing I just see is mpg and emissions because it will spend much of it's time on a flatbed with a list of TSB's. I think this vehicle is extremely complicated unproven and instead of being simple. It will result in dishing out headaches to everyone. I could be wrong though and for the sake of the Americans putting this thing together I hope I am.

But I will say the Cherokee and Liberty are far better looking!
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #21
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

This thing is projected to be in the high $20k-low$30k price range. Why would i buy this versus a Grand? The beauty of the original XJ was that it was affordable for the average buyer. This thing, not so much.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

Here is a brand new Cherokee for those of you who really miss the old style: http://papercruiser.com/?p=1492
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
diver110
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
This thing is projected to be in the high $20k-low$30k price range. Why would i buy this versus a Grand? The beauty of the original XJ was that it was affordable for the average buyer. This thing, not so much.
Comparably equipped Grands could end up being 10K more, so possibly. Also, Grands have the air lift system, about which I have heard mixed reviews, but the Cherokee Trailhawk comes with a factory 1 inch traditional lift. For offroaders, that might be tempting, though of course one can always lift a Grand.
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Here is a brand new Cherokee for those of you who really miss the old style: http://papercruiser.com/?p=1492
Link didn't work.
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #25
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
As a side point, here is an article about the history of the XJ, and how (assuming this guy has his facts correct) much the design was influenced by Renault.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbs...ks-to-renault/
Good read. Thanks. Always loved the XJ's.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's an decent crossover, but it's no offroader! pretty good Jeep marketing mindbending though!
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #27
cmp77
2003 WJ 

Horrible, hideous, horrific. Belongs in Japan. The Italians are slaughtering our jeeps turning them from rugged off road industrialized machines into fancy pants luxury b.s with 3,500 more things that will undoubtably break. Hold up a picture of an xj beside a picture of whatever that thing is...... Which one is a JEEP ??? That WAS the beauty of jeep. Affordable and simple. Now the Italians are trying to compete with these other luxury companies. News flash. The wranglers doors are kept from swinging wide open with a nylon strap. By 2016 the wrangler will look like a ford edge and the doors will be opened with voice control. I hate what they are doing. I hate it.
cmp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #28
Jerseymark

I like the new Cherokee for what it is - a very good crossover(good offfroad and onroads, practical and good mpg). Jeep needs this to keep up with cafe standards and appeal to broader demographics. And I think this is a better way to do it than with the compass or patriot.

I don't think it is a replacement or comparable to an xj. Imo jeep already has had a replacement for the xj - the 4door wrangler, which is imo an improved xj with better axles, full frame, topless and doorless capabilities.
Jerseymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #29
wanabxtrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymark View Post
I like the new Cherokee for what it is - a very good crossover(good offfroad and onroads, practical and good mpg). Jeep needs this to keep up with cafe standards and appeal to broader demographics. And I think this is a better way to do it than with the compass or patriot.

I don't think it is a replacement or comparable to an xj. Imo jeep already has had a replacement for the xj - the 4door wrangler, which is imo an improved xj with better axles, full frame, topless and doorless capabilities.
- I agree the JKU is most of the best of both the wrangler and cherokee. Though I'm still baffled on how my '98 XJ with ~250k miles still gets better mpgs than my 08 JKU. You'd think in a century they'd improve more than that....
wanabxtrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Charlienmr
2012 WK 

New 4runner coming soon. Take a look at one and the Cherokee starts look really good in comparison. Just talking front end mostly and of course it's more in comp with the GC. But still, the thing is plain ugly. Kind of waiting to see a Cherokee in person.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.