Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Since the Fiat DNA is finding its way into our beloved Jeeps...

7K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  Slot7 
#1 ·
Hi guys, sorry if this is off-topic but I found this video of old Fiat Pandas 4x4 wheeling and I thought I'd share it here. Since Fiat now has a say to how our rigs will be designed in the future, let's take a look at what they have done in the past.

#9 ·
Really cool video, but any 4x4 or AWD that weighs 2,000 lbs can do that with the right Tires.. just saying...

Fiats are known for being unreliable POS cars, and im talking super unreliable.. This is big reason why ill never own anything from fiat chrysler. And this is funny considering chrysler is also known for unreliability. Just look at new FIAT cars.. nothing but transmission issues on brand new vehicles

#11 ·
After the death of the 4.0. There are no jeeps anymore, unless you do a LS or hemi swap. I'm a tech and work on these POS's everyday. As an avid jeeper, it continues to make me sick on my stomach sometimes. Oh well, technology please prove me wrong...

#13 ·
The 4.0 became unreliable after 98 anyway, the heads on them are terrible. The 4.7 V8 is also terrible from what i hear as far as it clogging up and having oil lubrication issues, The 5.7 hemi the earlier ones anyway i hear had some major valve and lifter issues. And the V6 pentastar motors are the same thing..

I talked to this guy with a noisy rattling wrangler it was a 2011 and when i heard it i was like damn man time for a new engine. And he was like well it has 90k miles on it. And acted like that was a crap ton of miles, and im like oh yea... Thats alot, and i said my 98 (was driving the 4.0) has 230k miles and I drove off

The Magnum V6 V8 and v10 engines are pretty reliable though. The only real issue they have is the intake manifold which was purposely designed to fail.

The main reason though and i can understand why, the main reason they got rid of the 4.0 was because of the government. They couldnt really make the engine more efficient and up to date on current emissions so they had to drop the engine for the pentastars.

If I remember correctly the tv show "Wheeler Dealers" did an episode on the Panda. As I recall, it had a transmission problem.
Oh yea i watched that one with the panda lol. The problem was just a loose joint on the shifter or something like that i believe.

#14 ·
Yeah the early hemi's had an oiling issue.. and some had weak springs. The pickup was no where near enough volume for the top end of the engine at idle. Oh the many cam jobs I've done on those things :grin2:

#15 ·
Ahh oiling issues, sounds like the AMC360 lol, 0-10psi idle from factory is what old timer mechanic told me. He worked in a dealership from 70-85 or whatever and he said those things had no oil pressure off the assembly line LOL. Thankfully mine has 50psi cold idle, The hot idle varies for some reason. If the engine is like 190-200f the hot idle is around 20-30psi. If it gets to like 210-215f hot idle is more around 10-15 lol. Driving hot its always around 50-60 though. TBH the low oil pressure scared me at first until i realized they pretty much all do it, and with no valve or bottom end noise that old mechanic i talked to said its a strong engine i have

What is wrong with the v6 pentastar engines ? My neighbor had two dodge nitro's and the one that was at 100k or close to it started getting valve noise before they sold it

#16 ·
Well about the pentastar. Only thing I've seen common is head failures. But atleast they arent as bad as GM's 3.6. I've done 3 timing chains in the past year on those. Chain is really really long lol. We still haven't worked out all the kinks of Direct Injection GDI and VVT working together flawlessly yet. Both engines GDI pump is like hitting a lottery to if you get a pump that might take a dump at 40-60K miles. Other than those issues, pretty sturdy little engines. With the technology of shutting off cylinders getting better and better I still dont understand why we are putting V6's into jeeps.. It's time Chrysler.. to unleash the beast.

#17 ·
Since you are mechanic.. Am i nuts or am I hearing cars turning themselves off and back on at stop lights ? Sometimes and its happening more often i hear a car to the left or right of me turning itself back on.. Or at least it sounds like it cranking really quickly.. but when i look all i see is a brand new or newer looking car.. not some POS that died and the owner turned it back on

#22 ·
It's not witchcraft man. They have the technology worked out and it does help fuel economy. Japan has been using it for over a decade. No one is forced to use it anyway because you can turn it off if you want.
I wouldn't worry about it though because the future is electric.

#23 ·
Yea i wish i grew up in the past sometimes.. I hate all the newer cars out.. I didnt even like working on the 13 camaro we had.. My brother and i spent 16k$ on parts and other labor for it it (not counting the 45$k price tag in 13) and i did most of the bolt ons for him and i just didnt like it... too many electrically driven stuff. nothing is mechanical

#32 ·
Ok, we need to step back to real life here for a second. Before much more gets said that is taken the wrong way..
Few key points I would like to state as I work on these things every day.

1. There is no perfect engine. Every manufacturer has issues.
2. There is no perfect drivetrain..
3. I will always love driving and owning a Jeep. No other vehicle has "grown" on me like they have, problems or not.
4. I'm turning 34 yrs old, So of course I hate all things new.. part of aging. I hated the LS engine until I realized it was the better small block.
5. Forums like this IMHO are a good place to speak your mind, unwind from a hard day's work, and make friends and maybe learn something or teach something. (Opinions from someone else are never personal, it's the "internet")

Jeep on!!!

#36 ·
And what did i do.. post facts.. and hardcore facts on all the engine, including the engines that i own.. And here we have 3 month old accounts attacking me for being "negative" im not negative i just posted issues the engines have.. and the newer engines had alot more issues then the older ones.

Yo u want to know why i sound negative sometimes.. its because my entire life, kid included i have been attacked by bullies for posting or saying what i believe in.. Be it religion, politics, or stupid **** as a kid.. And i wont be attacked for what i post.. The only reason why people agree with those other people is because they are used to be being the attackers.

If anything i am a a realist but also on the defensive. You cant handle the fing the truth as jack nickolson said (not you i mean people in general"

Now /thread, post what you want but im done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.