Rumors of the Grand Wagoneer name returning in 2013 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Rumors of the Grand Wagoneer name returning in 2013

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Buster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^ That Wagoneer is essentially the commander with a slight slant to the grille and faux wood paneling. I personally would like to see something with a front end a bit more in the NuKizer vein at least, and not as chunky as the commander.

jeep-nukizer-concept-2.jpg  
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Does anyone actually remember the interior of the Grand Wagoneer, the purpose of this vehicle, or who it was targeting? I was barely 4 y/o at it's peak, but I still remember the details. It was to be supremely luxury on the inside and a hulk underneath. It was a family vehicle, with incredible creature comforts of it's time. Power everything, comfortable seats, plenty of cargo space. Not that there's anything wrong with the above pic, but it just WONT happen. And it shouldn't look like that anyway. Made so that your family could jump in, head down your .5mile dirt road drive way... the one littered with dug outs and potholes, and take you to church. It was THE vehicle to drive on Sunday's, lol.

Grand Wagoneer will most likely be targeting folks with large families currently driving GMC/Chevy Suburbans, Ford Expeditions, and Toyota Sequia... I'm sure there are a crap load of not worth mentioning vehicle brands for this list.

There will be a market for this vehicle if it sticks to it's previous tradition.

Long live the Wagoneer.
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
CajunPatriot
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
The people on Allpar that HAVE seen the prototypes so far are saying that it at least LOOKS the part of a modernized Grand Wagoneer.

Also, if/when it DOES return, it'll be Jeep's halo (Not flagship, that'll always be the Wrangler) vehicle, and start around $60,000-$70,000.

If the price tag is $60k+, Jeep might as well not even produce it. Too many other higher end import SUVs in that price range would be better than Jeep in quality/luxury. They better keep the cost in line with the Durangos and Grand Cherokees if they want this to be a profitable vehicle. I had a '06 Commander and absolutely loved it but who here would buy a $60k-$70k Jeep? They can't even sell the Jeep SRTs @ $60k+. I went to get something at my local Jeep dealership and they had the new SRT in the showroom. He said all it is is a big attention getter. They have no markup on it and not a single person was seriously interested. Most said the cost was too much for a Jeep.
CajunPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPatriot View Post
I had a '06 Commander and absolutely loved it but who here would buy a $60k-$70k Jeep?
Halo vehicles are not about selling a million halo vehicles and making tons of money.

Halo vehicles are about upscaling the brand. They want a guy spending $30K on a standard jeep vehicle to look out in the lot and see cues from a 70K vehicle. They don't want him to look out in the lot and see cues from a pos 1995 neon.

I kinda like the B size concepts shown on Allpar. Not anything I'd personally buy, but like the character of the vehicles.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Halo vehicles are not about selling a million halo vehicles and making tons of money.

Halo vehicles are about upscaling the brand. They want a guy spending $30K on a standard jeep vehicle to look out in the lot and see cues from a 70K vehicle. They don't want him to look out in the lot and see cues from a pos 1995 neon.

I kinda like the B size concepts shown on Allpar. Not anything I'd personally buy, but like the character of the vehicles.
That's the problem with an expensive Jeep. It's not the vehicle, it's the dealers. I don't know about other parts of the country, but around me Jeep dealers are generally terrible & cheap feeling. When I go the GMC dealer, it seems plausible to spend 60k on a Denali, but I could never imagine spending 60k at Jeep dealer.
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:

Unread 01-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
CajunPatriot
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:

How many SRTs do you think Jeep sells in a year? Why spend millions and millions in R&D only to sell maybe 5000 of them? Make them between $40k and $50k and you'd get more people to trade in their SUVs to upgrade. Go on the Commander forum and I bet not 5% would trade their Commanders in for a $60k - $70k Wagoneer. I guarantee you won't get Import SUV owners to trade in their Audi/BMW/Benz/Infinity/Lexus/Acura for a Jeep. You have to ask yourself, what market are you trying to sell this vehicle to? You don't produce a vehicle that people go into the showroom floor and say "Nice Jeep, but DAMN it cost some coin................" and walk away.
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskis View Post
When I go the GMC dealer, it seems plausible to spend 60k on a Denali, but I could never imagine spending 60k at Jeep dealer.

I hear ya there. But realistically my dealer is already making their own expensive halo vehicles. Their most prominent display vehicle is a brand new wrangler X with 20K worth of blingy off road equipment and a +50K price tag. They do a new one every year. Dunno if they ever sell but there wouldn't be much eye candy in the showroom without it.
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPatriot View Post
How many SRTs do you think Jeep sells in a year? Why spend millions and millions in R&D only to sell maybe 5000 of them?

That's using corporate math. Basically you're saying the technology that goes into an SRT ends with the SRT, and therefore it's losing money. That technology trickles down thru hundreds of thousands of vehicles over the coming decade.

Additionally, how many regular versions are gonna get sold cause Tommy Kendall is doing hot laps on speed channel in an impressive display of the SRT's performance? Dunno if you've seen the show but impressive is the word for what it's doing.

When chrysler wanted a cool advertising campaign, they didn't have other drivers pulling alongside to ask if that's thing's got a slant six in it, even if the slant six outsold the hemi by about 50,000 to 1.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, it's just an interesting discussion, and fun to hear the other opinions out there.

happy jeepin!
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #25
CajunPatriot
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
That's using corporate math.
Last I heard Chrysler is a Corporation and corporate math is how they plus every other car manufacture does it. If it doesn't pass the bean counters, it won't go to production. The new 300 sells great for Chrysler and they didn't put it out of reach of their buying market but totally hit the mark on quality and looks. I feel if they price this Wagoneer between $40k-to $50k they would still get what they're wanting in looks/quality without missing their main market. That's all I'm saying. But if Jeep can make a $60k-$70k vehicle to rival Land Rover and all the other Luxury SUVs and compete......I'm all for it.
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Corporate math is both the friend, and the enemy, of successful corporations. It's interesting to note that a common theme of superstar CEOs is knowing when to buck the numbers and go with their gut.

I totally agree that something for 70K ought to be SPECIAL and not a 50K vehicle that's marked up for the sake of perception.

I'm reminded of the "luxury" K cars of an earlier era. Yuck!
Unread 01-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
Thrumcap

That rendition with the fake wood and slanted grill looks like a POS. I like this rendition a lot.

Thrumcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #28
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

SO basically its a bigger grand cherokee? Regardless of what comes about Im sure Chrysler will F it up and we will have another jeep running around that should have been aborted from its conception
Unread 01-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #29
Thrumcap

Think of it as the difference between a Mercedes ML and GL. Similar styling, luxury and capabilities- just larger. If it is executed in the same way as the JGC, it should do well for those looking for something larger. For me, the biggest drawback to the JGC is the lack of cargo space. It's a midsize SUV with compact SUV-like cargo capacity.
Thrumcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumcap View Post
That rendition with the fake wood and slanted grill looks like a POS. I like this rendition a lot.

From Allpar
Quote:
The Wagoneer, a luxury seven-seater positioned above the Grand Cherokee, is planned for calendar year 2013; it and a similar new Jeep vehicle (unibody pickup?) may also be used for export. One correspondent reported: “Grand Wagoneer looks VERY sweet! It looks just like the classic Wagoneer with a bit of Durango styling.
Here is one persons thought on how it could look.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.