Production Jeep JT Pickup Caught Testing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Production Jeep JT Pickup Caught Testing

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Production Jeep JT Pickup Caught Testing

Quote:
We got up-close and personal with what appears to be a mule for a Wrangler-based pickup truck, right along the lines of the Jeep JT truck concept. The rear doors of a four-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited have been welded shut, and the black composite roof structure has been extended forward to the B-pillar. The roll-down side glass has been replaced with a solid window.
Spyshot Link

[EDIT - I just noticed that they're testing a right hand drive vehicle, I wonder why that is?]

Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
XJ2Timer

Postal Jeeps?

I still think they need to sell the right hand drive Patriot and Compass in the US for rural postal delivery.
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Yeah, there was some speculation along those lines last night. I came across this today:
Quote:
"The Jeep you see here is one of the units built to sell (hopefully) to the Egyptian military. As you can see, the rear doors are welded shut and, on the inside load floor, there's a pickup-style steel bed. It's powered by a diesel, has rear leaf springs and a rear Dana 60.

I understand that, while there are a number of these built, the deal hasn't been made yet with Egypt (or Israel, etc.). There are no plans to offer this in North America." Phil Howell, Off-Road Magazine
Jalopnick
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, like we'll get it. I like the line, "we're building them over here so we can fight them over there." Figures dont it? for not getting us some.
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

Pics

!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!! '02 WJ Graphite Limited 4.7 with all options; IRO 5.5" coils; JKS U/L CAs; RK Adj. TB; MX-6; JKS Discos; JKS BPEs; Hard-KOR SS; KOR Endlinks; Rear Addco; IRO A-arm spacer; BS Ext.; Ext. SRs; 255/75-R17 BFG M/Ts; 17" Chrome Torque Wheels; SpiderTrax; Westin Safari Bar; KC 600 Series HiLites; Rock Rails; Smittybilt TL Guards; Smittybilt Blk Hitch Shackle w/Lock; H.O. Intake/Spectre Cone Filter. http://snipurl.com/7attr
WJ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Whatever the debate is, I'd buy one.
Rubi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not bad, but I have a few ideas

In sitting at the Round Table at CJ, one thing the marketing engineers at Jeep are questioning is how much seating to put in the JT.

Seating for 2 - gives good payload space with standard wheel base

Seating for 5 - same as the Unlimited JK, very small payload space with standard wheel base

Seating for 4 - would use side mounted jump seats, better payload space than seating for 5 but still lower than seating for 2

I think a good compromise for those needing just one more seat. Make the standard 2 seater available with a split bench seat (must keep standard transmission as option) so people like me who need seating for only one more person can get by in a pinch. This would give good payload space while not having to make this thing as big as house. A fold down tailgate for a truck is a must.

Another option would be to make the seating for 4 and convert the tailgate to fold down providing additional space for longer loads - again keeping the shortest total length possible for good offroad ability.

Ah, how nice it would be to be able to throw a couple of dirtbikes or an atv in the rear (must be wide enough to carry a good sized ATV) for a trip to the dunes and not be limited to the parking lot.

I believe trying to accomadate seating for 5 and making this a truck is going to just be too large.

Last edited by dragginwagon406; 08-18-2007 at 11:25 PM..
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What's that on the passenger (well, technically driver side) fender?
Unread 08-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know about passenger...but driver's side is http://www10.dealtime.com/xPF-Aiwa-CSD-FD81
Unread 08-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #10
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks to be some type of data recorder.

Likely records how many times people ask them when will it be available or can you get it with a diesel.
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #11
tate228
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i thought the jt concept had coils in the rear.
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #12
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tate228
i thought the jt concept had coils in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The link in the first post
UPDATE: Mike Levine at Pickuptruck.com speculates that Jeep may be going after the postal fleet market. These mules are right-hand drive (to reach mailboxes perhaps?) and leaf springs (to handle the heavy load of mail maybe?)
10character
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

Leaf spring suspensions are also cheaper to manufacture than coils.
Besides, who would want a truck that couldn't haul any weight in the bed?
And by the look of his avatar and name... not a hippie.
GasAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
Kennedy
2008 KK Liberty 

I with drawal what I said about it being right hand drive and it maybe being used for the post office being that I just saw a post two up.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #15
figbush1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi22
What's that on the passenger (well, technically driver side) fender?

I think that's an elevated air intake... I remember sing that on a military version concept of a TJ

I love that jeep is playing around with the JK making it long short 2 door long 2 door short 4 door leaf springs coils we're kinda seeing everything right now... all this versatility is reminding me of the jeeps of the 70s scrambler CJ.... Could it be that they're realizing that the wrangler was and always should have remained a utility vehicle?

Jeep is finally coming back to life!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.