Next Generation Wrangler, Coming 015. - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Next Generation Wrangler, Coming 015.

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #271
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had a the Freedom Drive II equipped Patriot and it did everything I ever asked it to plus got good gas mileage. When I wanted to step up off roading wise, I bought a Wrangler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kenny-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #272
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

I can see people running a HOT spooled up turbo in water and boom. Low end a turbo is worthless. a Jeep off road is running around at about idle. were the 4,0 was very good. no turbo is spooling at 600-1200 rpm, its moot.
I just remembered this comment and wanted to point out, the most likely option for the US market, the VM Motori 3.0l CRD V6 has its turbocharger in the valley, way up on the top and back of the engine.

It also has a relatively fast turbine response, owing to variable geometry and high exhaust gas pressure inherent to diesel engines. We're looking at coming onto power under 1000rpm and hitting peak at 2k. Compare to the 4.0 which had power at 1500rpm and hit peak at 3200. Bear in mind, also, that the VM Motori V6 CRD has 420ftlbs at 2000rpm, vs 225ftlbs at 3200rpm for the Jeep 4.0.

Just saying, this whole diesel business is good stuff for an offroader. And it's not like it'd be the first serious turbodiesel 4x4. Look at the LR Defender, for famous example.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #273
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I just remembered this comment and wanted to point out, the most likely option for the US market, the VM Motori 3.0l CRD V6 has its turbocharger in the valley, way up on the top and back of the engine.

It also has a relatively fast turbine response, owing to variable geometry and high exhaust gas pressure inherent to diesel engines. We're looking at coming onto power under 1000rpm and hitting peak at 2k. Compare to the 4.0 which had power at 1500rpm and hit peak at 3200. Bear in mind, also, that the VM Motori V6 CRD has 420ftlbs at 2000rpm, vs 225ftlbs at 3200rpm for the Jeep 4.0.

Just saying, this whole diesel business is good stuff for an offroader. And it's not like it'd be the first serious turbodiesel 4x4. Look at the LR Defender, for famous example.

I agree. The CRD family of engines would be the way to go.
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #274
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/imag...ed-48219-7.jpg
KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #275
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

Oh my God, if Jeep makes that I'm never gonna buy another Jeep ever again! Cry cry cry...Jeep has to make concepts and feel out the markets but I'm sure this is gonna stir the pots of the @ss holes who are obsessed with solid axles and sh*t.
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #276
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

I can't pinpoint when, but I think that is a concept from some YEARS ago.
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #277
98GP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I cant remember if this has been posted yet or not...

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2016...el-engine.html
98GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #278
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I can't pinpoint when, but I think that is a concept from some YEARS ago.
Given the look of it, I'd guess 2002-04. Kind of that time when Jeep was pulling out concepts that looked like that.

Unread 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #279
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its a SmartJeep. Maybe a result of the old Daimler partnership? Doesn't Daimler also own Smart Car?

I like the rear wing/spoiler thingie. It would keep the rear wheels on the ground while crawling.
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #280
TheMill

A truck would be great with the diesel as an option. Scrambler like.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
TheMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #281
Jerseymark

As long as they keep a manual trans option, I'm happy. I don't want more gears either 6 is plenty. Also, hopefully still solid axles. Diesel would be nice but not if they charge a crazy amount like in the grand cherokee
Jerseymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #282
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymark View Post
As long as they keep a manual trans option, I'm happy. I don't want more gears either 6 is plenty. Also, hopefully still solid axles. Diesel would be nice but not if they charge a crazy amount like in the grand cherokee
Diesel engines cost a lot more to build than gas engines, especially with all the money that went into federalizing the eurodiesel. Sad, but true fact.

Unread 07-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #283
Jerseymark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

Diesel engines cost a lot more to build than gas engines, especially with all the money that went into federalizing the eurodiesel. Sad, but true fact.
Also, with the GC they only offered it with limited and luxery package. If it was offered on the base model it would be better.
Jerseymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #284
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymark View Post
Also, with the GC they only offered it with limited and luxery package. If it was offered on the base model it would be better.
It wouldn't be any better because people buying Laredos aren't spending the extra money on a diesel when they could get a gas Limited for less. People with money for a Limited might buy the diesel, though. I think the Grand Cherokee will make or break diesel as an SUV/light truck powertrain in America. It highlights very well, both the advantages and disadvantages, while making it available to a much broader audience than the big trucks. Who knows, maybe this combined with Mazda's diesel offerings later this year will shape up to bring America into the diesel age.

Unread 07-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #285
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

^ That's the upside to them offering a diesel in the Wrangler. They'd probably offer it in the Sport S and Sahara models (probably not in a Rubicon but it's a small possibility). Limited GCs are pricey but for whatever reason Saharas are more popular as far as Wranglers go so I think that'll really show how well the diesel motors will sell!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.