New JK questions - Engine & Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > New JK questions - Engine & Towing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Houdini
1984 CJ7 

New JK questions - Engine & Towing

I've been kicking around getting a new Jeep since I sold my Land Rover a couple of years ago. I got totally hooked on going off road but I need something more practical then the 2 door Wrangler. So the 4 door Rubicon Unlimited seems like a great choice. My local dealer had 3 (not RUbicons) and sold them in a few days before I had a chance to drive one. It's to early to get one in my opinion because they go to fast and it's not likely anyone will get one yet for less than MSRP unless you get the DC discount. Anyway 2 things bother me about it before I've even driven one. First is Jeeps choice of engines. Not much that can be done about that unless they expand the engine choices in the near future. The second thing is the tow rating. Can anyone out there give me a reason why the tow rating is only 3500 #'s. I'd really like a 5000# tow rating and I'm trying to figure out why it's so low. My Land Rover had a little less HP and Torque and was still rated at 5000 #'s. I even had larger tires and a lift and was still able to tow a 3500# trailer with ease, even in the mouintains. With a class II I'm wooried about towing even 3000#'s. So does anyone know the reason the tow rating is so low?

Houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
XJ2Timer

The XJ Cherokees could be equipped to have a tow rating of 5000 lbs. That was with weaker axles, smaller brakes, unibody, shorter wheelbase, etc. The JK with a real frame, stronger axles, bigger brakes, longer wheelbase, etc. A theory of mine is that the corporate lawyers have cold feet possibly due to the JK not having a fixed roof.
Unread 10-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Kev M
2012 WK 

Are you saying the Rubicon unlimited has a longer wheelbase than an XJ? Huh?

I always figured the low tow ratings on Wrangers had to do mostly with wheelbase (tail wagging the dog) and perhaps brakes.

But I agree, lawyers play a big part too.

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
Are you saying the Rubicon unlimited has a longer wheelbase than an XJ? Huh?

I always figured the low tow ratings on Wrangers had to do mostly with wheelbase (tail wagging the dog) and perhaps brakes.

But I agree, lawyers play a big part too.

Kev
Yeah. 101.5 inches for the XJ, new JK 4 door 116 inches. Even the TJ Unlimited was 104 inches.
Unread 10-12-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

Thanks....

Huh, teaches me not to work on assumptions...

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.