New Jeeps through 2016-Wrangler Refresh and variants in 2016 - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > New Jeeps through 2016-Wrangler Refresh and variants in 2016

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #106
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

light weight , Gas milage. Ok you buy your NEW 2017 Jeep yeah that's when it will come out.Get the Rubicon package if they still offer it.Add a winch, rock protection bigger tires,etc. and there goes your gas milage! Who cares as long as gas is under $4 a gallen.

BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #107
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The idea is to make a Wrangler that's friendly to the everyday public without sacrificing what makes it friendly to the people who want to modify it and don't care about fuel economy. John Q. Public wants 30mpg, and that's achievable with a few compromises like raking the windshield back a bit and cutting the weight down. But Jim Jeep-fan Johnson wants to lift his Jeep and add a ton of weight. This will kill his fuel economy, but not at the expense of the whole model line's.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #108
sprouty115
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I'm seriously considering a new Wrangler*. My wife bought a 2010 last year that had had basically been sitting in the PO's garage since he bought it. Now we always seem to "fight" over who gets t o drive it. But I do have to wonder why my 2000 Cherokee Classic with a 3" lift, 32" tires and 200k on it gets slightly better mpgs.

* Go easy I'm new...
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #109
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Because the XJ weighs less and has better aerodynamics. Also it probably doesn't hurt that the big tires gear it up, whereas JKs have steeper gear ratios.

Plus, the 2010 JK has the 3.8l V6, which is a useless lump of pig iron.

Unread 03-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #110
sprouty115
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Oh ****! Don't tell my wife!
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #111
Oilburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
.... Now we always seem to "fight" over who gets to drive it.

LOL you're not the only one!
Oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #112
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Because the XJ weighs less and has better aerodynamics. Also it probably doesn't hurt that the big tires gear it up, whereas JKs have steeper gear ratios.

Compared to the 4.0L I-6? The 3.8L V6 is torquier, smoother, more fuel efficient, and doesn't require the owner to carry a bag of oil-dry with them everywhere they go. After owning both I'd take the 3.8L any day.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #113
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman
Compared to the 4.0L I-6? The 3.8L V6 is torquier, smoother, more fuel efficient, and doesn't require the owner to carry a bag of oil-dry with them everywhere they go. After owning both I'd take the 3.8L any day.
Idk I think 3.8 owners still carry oil dry
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #114
WXman
2001 WJ 

My '11 with the 3.8L didn't leak a drop nor did it burn any oil between changes whatsoever. It was actually a really nice engine...the s*itty transmission ratios in the automatic are what killed it's performance. On the other hand, I have never...ever...never once seen a 4.0L I-6 that didn't have a layer of oil sludge somewhere on the block, usually between the head and block near the oil filter and at the rear of the engine and also between the valve cover and head. They leak like a sieve. Again, great engines back in the 80s and 90s when other companies were putting out stuff that was worse...but by today's standards I don't miss the 4.0L at all.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #115
CEScuzzy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The 4.0L certainly has it's perks, but it's shortcomings more than made up for them. While the only place that my '01 has any signs of leaking are at the back of the valve cover gasket, that's easily fixable, and any of the garden variety oil leaks can be handled without much trouble (not that there aren't exceptions.) Sure, I love my 4.0L, but if Chrysler had more money back in the 90's and less fanboy enthusiasm, I think the 'ole straight six would have been axed a lot sooner. It's overweight, the low-end torques kicks in about 300 RPM too high for my taste, and by the time mine was built, a number of annoyingly disparaging ideas were thrown at (I looking at you restricted manifold ports and coil rail.) I don't care much for the glorified minivan motor that is the 3.8L either, but between government emissions controls and the cost effectiveness of using similar parts (like engines) across multiple platforms, Chrysler/Fiat will end up making Jeep more and more generic. Sadly, there's nothing we can do about it, because Chrysler is making their money off the people who want the look of a Jeep without caring about the little things like capability, adaptability, and reliability.
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #116
sprouty115
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
My '11 with the 3.8L didn't leak a drop nor did it burn any oil between changes whatsoever. It was actually a really nice engine...the s*itty transmission ratios in the automatic are what killed it's performance. On the other hand, I have never...ever...never once seen a 4.0L I-6 that didn't have a layer of oil sludge somewhere on the block, usually between the head and block near the oil filter and at the rear of the engine and also between the valve cover and head. They leak like a sieve. Again, great engines back in the 80s and 90s when other companies were putting out stuff that was worse...but by today's standards I don't miss the 4.0L at all.
I guess my point was that I paid $2K for a 14yo Cherokee that has 200K miles on it and I get about 17/19mpg on the highway and I was somewhat surprised that my (wife's...) 10-year newer vehicle only manages to get about the same mpg. Yes, the Cherokee was leaking like a sieve when I bought it, but a valve cover gasket seems to have cured the problem. And it doesn't burn a drop of oil...

Unfortuntely until I asked the question I wasn't aware of the reputation the 3.8L engine has. Fortunately I still want a Wrangler for myself because no matter what engine it has it's still a ****-ton of fun to drive.
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #117
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

What you want is the 2012+ JK, which has the 3.6l Pentastar V6. That engine doesn't suck. Even more torque, even more power, even better fuel economy.

Like I said earlier: the XJ is lighter than a JK, has better aerodynamics than a JK, and the 3.8 is only marginally more efficient than the 4.0 was.

Unread 03-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #118
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Idk I think 3.8 owners still carry oil dry
Probably not oil dry, but still extra oil. The 3.8L V6 (at least later model ones) likes to burn oil rather than leak it.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #119
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/2017.html
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #120
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I believe the lead engineer on the project has already confirmed the next Wrangler will be solid-axle in nature. Not to mention, Allpar spends all of their time in baseless speculation. They should write an article about what happened to MH370.

That IFS design is interesting, and I think it holds promise for the generation following the next one, but I'm pretty sure they've already confirmed the next Wrangler for live axles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.