New Jeeps through 2016-Wrangler Refresh and variants in 2016 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > New Jeeps through 2016-Wrangler Refresh and variants in 2016

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #91
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The following part of the article makes me think that the purchase price is going to go up significantly from here on out. That's depressing to think about.

Jeep CEO Mike Manley previously explained redesigning the Wrangler is a tedious process.
"We're already in an environment where it's a challenge to produce a vehicle in that way, and it's going to get harder," said Manley in an interview late last year. "What I can tell you is that the vehicle is absolutely fundamental to our DNA, and it's going to become progressively harder to make sure that the vehicle meets all of the standards that are required for it."

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #92
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How does adding a power soft top help to save weight? Seems like a foolish option when everything else is about saving weight.

I had an idea the other day. If you trussed an aluminum axle properly, could you make an aluminum axle that was lighter and stronger than a steel axle. Seems like that would be a good way to save weight, improve handling, and maintain a solid axle all at the same time.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #93
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
How does adding a power soft top help to save weight? Seems like a foolish option when everything else is about saving weight.

I had an idea the other day. If you trussed an aluminum axle properly, could you make an aluminum axle that was lighter and stronger than a steel axle. Seems like that would be a good way to save weight, improve handling, and maintain a solid axle all at the same time.
The last time jeep did this, it didn't work so well. The D44A found in the Grand Cherokee was very prone to flexing and even when trussed wasn't much better. Who knows, if it was designed ground up to be rigid they might do a better job.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #94
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
The following part of the article makes me think that the purchase price is going to go up significantly from here on out. That's depressing to think about.

Jeep CEO Mike Manley previously explained redesigning the Wrangler is a tedious process.
"We're already in an environment where it's a challenge to produce a vehicle in that way, and it's going to get harder," said Manley in an interview late last year. "What I can tell you is that the vehicle is absolutely fundamental to our DNA, and it's going to become progressively harder to make sure that the vehicle meets all of the standards that are required for it."
I had a similar thought...as in "people will pay for the experience of a Wrangler..."
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #95
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

My ZJ disagrees with you. A lot.

That said, if they go back to the D44A, maybe I'll finally get some aftermarket options!

Seriously, though, I expect the next Wrangler will use aluminum in its body, if not also its frame. Switching to an aluminum body is saving the 2015 F-150 700lbs. The optional power top is just that: an option. If they went to it, it'd add a bit of weight, but existing aftermarket power top kits prove that it's not terribly heavy. And, as the base Wrangler would still have a manual soft top, the base curb weight would still be reduced.

Personally, I think a power soft top is a good idea. Not to mention it'd necessarily reduce the complexity of the top. No more crazy sail panels and whatnot. Just a simple one-piece top on a basic folding frame. For that matter, I don't mind losing the folding windshield. It's a pain in the *** to fold the existing windshield, and it's a feature nobody uses. All it does is add weight and make it inconvenient to rake it back at all for aerodynamics' sake.

I don't imagine the price will climb too terribly much. Probably from $22,000 right now to $25,000 then. Factoring projected inflation, that's even less in terms of real dollars.

I'm excited to see what happens.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #96
Butchy_Boy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Seriously why not give me steel frame aluminum body and a small turbo diesel. No on cares about safety ratings if they buy a wrangler, stop pandering to them. Same could be said for mileage however a small diesel benefits those mpg people and the offroaders. Hell if you buddy up with Tesla I'd be a pure electric wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreismore69 View Post
ha! now I'm not saying I don't love our cherokee or that I haven't seen a few good looking cherokees, but either you are giving your xj too much credit or you've done 4x4'd yourself retarded, girls don't drop em for cherokees, now wranglers on the other hand...:rofl:
Butchy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #97
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

Seriously, though, I expect the next Wrangler will use aluminum in its body, if not also its frame. Switching to an aluminum body is saving the 2015 F-150 700lbs.
I am most excited for this. Weight reduction is the easiest step to achieve better MPGs. Now, couple the new lightweight aluminum body with some ever-so-slightly tweaked aerodynamics and a small turbodiesel and we could easily be seeing 30-35+ mpg.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #98
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox View Post
I am most excited for this. Weight reduction is the easiest step to achieve better MPGs. Now, couple the new lightweight aluminum body with some ever-so-slightly tweaked aerodynamics and a small turbodiesel and we could easily be seeing 30-35+ mpg.
I wouldn't say "easily" but it's certainly theoretically possible.

Oh, and they're not pandering to safety, Butchy Boy. There are strict safety requirements the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) sets for cars to be sold in the US. If you don't meet them, you can't sell your car stateside. This is why we never got the Nissan Skyline, for example. That said, aluminum can be just as safe as steel when properly engineered.

Unread 03-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #99
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post

I can make it a little simpler and less of an effort.
since you have NO real competition to that model, Don't make any sudden moves (changes) just continue to count the money as it comes in.

Quote:
Sad truth is if they save 600lbs going to a aluminum body, They will find that they can now add 400 more lbs of crap. (Options) like power windows!!
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #100
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
I can make it a little simpler and less of an effort.
since you have NO real competition to that model, Don't make any sudden moves (changes) just continue to count the money as it comes in.

Sad truth is if they save 600lbs going to a aluminum body, They will find that they can now add 400 more lbs of crap. (Options) like power windows!!
Like power windows which are already sold on JK as an option?

The general idea is you strip as much weight as you can from the basic car, and then let the buyer ruin all your work by adding the options they want. At least then, the added weight isn't your fault.

Besides, you can't sell a competitive car on the market today above $14,000 without at least optional power windows. And even the Miata has a power soft top as an option- and that's a car that historically has taken 3 seconds to manually deploy or release the soft top from the driver seat.

Unread 03-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #101
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Like power windows which are already sold on JK as an option?

The general idea is you strip as much weight as you can from the basic car, and then let the buyer ruin all your work by adding the options they want. At least then, the added weight isn't your fault.

Besides, you can't sell a competitive car on the market today above $14,000 without at least optional power windows. And even the Miata has a power soft top as an option- and that's a car that historically has taken 3 seconds to manually deploy or release the soft top from the driver seat.
Yes I heard that JK had that option. Not needed on Jeeps where you can reach the passenger window crank while seated in the driver seat.

I don't know much about a Miata, since I don't have a Vagina
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #102
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
Yes I heard that JK had that option. Not needed on Jeeps where you can reach the passenger window crank while seated in the driver seat.

I don't know much about a Miata, since I don't have a Vagina
I know a lot about Miatas because I'm completely secure in my sexuality and don't let my interests in cars define it, unlike some people who apparently have to compensate for insecurity by buying a big Jeep and insisting things about others.

Just saying.

Unread 03-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #103
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know a lot about Miatas because I'm completely secure in my sexuality and don't let my interests in cars define it, unlike some people who apparently have to compensate for insecurity by buying a big Jeep and insisting things about others.

Just saying.
You have that backwards I have a smaller (Better)TJ Jeep. Not a JK.

By the way in post #100 you compared a Jeep to a Car. Jeeps ARE NOT CARS.
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #104
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Silly purist. I bet you get riled up when people enjoy air conditioning.

Unread 03-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #105
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a Enthusiast not Purist I like my A/C. The real Jeep purist that I have met go on a rant over the YJs and TJs and won't acknowledge a JK even exist.

You might want to read this thread i started in 2007
seems to fit the times,.....once again http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/...siasts-472853/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.