New Jeeps through 2016-Wrangler Refresh and variants in 2016 - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > New Jeeps through 2016-Wrangler Refresh and variants in 2016

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 12-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #76
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_footy View Post
As a mechanic in the military. The Humvee's are easy to work on and simple. I think Jeep would be making a smart move to produce a independent front/rear suspension vehicle with lockers, nicely sized tires and a diesel option along with a potent but not too powerful V8 in the lineup. In the end I think people who buy jeeps are looking for more low end torque versus high rpm fun.
A proper suspension design like what is on the Humvee would be cost prohibitive on a vehicle like the Wrangler. Customers won't pay what Jeep would have to charge.
That's why we end up with short arm systems like what is on the KL Cherokee.

Unread 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #77
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettd View Post
While there are still some details to be published about the JK Willys it is not accurate to portray it as just some stickers. The rubicon wheels and rock rails are not standard on the base or S package, the rear locker is added, the uconnect system and the recovery kit. In light of the fact that the 6speed manual Willys 2 door starts at $26k and the rubicons are a good $5k more I am not sure I get the criticism.
But the paint scheme is a valid criticism. they need to offer it in Commando Green or some other green, they are completely missing the boat!
i read it as the rear is LSD not a locker....
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #78
ramp4ge

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer View Post
A proper suspension design like what is on the Humvee would be cost prohibitive on a vehicle like the Wrangler. Customers won't pay what Jeep would have to charge.
That's why we end up with short arm systems like what is on the KL Cherokee.
Exactly this. Look at how much the Raptor costs when compared to a base F-150. And the vast majority of that price increase goes into the suspension.

A good independent suspension on a Wrangler would make it even more ridiculously expensive than they already are.

On another note, someone way earlier in the thread talked about how nice it'd be to have a truely-capable vehicle in the Patriot/Compass price range.

Why did vehicles like the Samurai disappear? Safety regulations? It's very obvious that vehicles have gotten bigger. My 2-door JK is huge when compared to a TJ, YJ or CJ. It also weighs nearly as much as an H3..

Not that I'm complaining, but what's keeping small, capable vehicles off the production lines?

Could build something the size of the Samurai, put a small 4-cylinder diesel in it, very few creature comforts and charge $1X,XXX for it. It'd basically be a street-legal side-by-side and would probably sell very well.
ramp4ge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #79
barnettd

JKs are expensive because of consumer demand not because it is expensive to build. Jeep can charge it and people buy it.
barnettd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #80
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In my opinion, I agree that a small size Wrangler would sell very well.
Now, that said, would the "safety weenies" get their hooks into a vehicle that size, and think it is not as safe as a bigger vehicle, Ala...the "Sammi"?
The Suzuki sold like hot cakes, but met with the feds ideas that we must be protected from the "evils" of a small suv, that yes, MAY tip, if driven like a mad man.
When will they learn "you can't fix stupid", and especially the VERY stupid, who would charge around corners like batman.
Yes, I know that Suzuki continued the "Sammi" in the form of the Geo Tracker, but it was a bloated version of the original "Sammi", that was about as bare bones as could be made.

I sure miss my "92" YJ, base with a good strong 4 banger, and a 5 speed. It went 205,000 miles, and when I sold it, it was still tight as a rick, but did need another clutch.
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #81
ramp4ge

There's been a political crusade against cars that, if driven stupidly, might bite back. "Unsafe At Any Speed"...

Personally, I've always thought it was the driver's job to protect those occupying the vehicle, not the vehicle's. I've driven a 1985 Honda CRX for 10+ years now and it's practically made of soda cans and plastic, but it's yet to kill me. Is it unsafe?

All these safety features do is put drivers into a false sense of security. Hey--the car's safe right? I can text while I drive and I won't get hurt!
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #82
sanmy1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
There's been a political crusade against cars that, if driven stupidly, might bite back. "Unsafe At Any Speed"...

Personally, I've always thought it was the driver's job to protect those occupying the vehicle, not the vehicle's. I've driven a 1985 Honda CRX for 10+ years now and it's practically made of soda cans and plastic, but it's yet to kill me. Is it unsafe?

All these safety features do is put drivers into a false sense of security. Hey--the car's safe right? I can text while I drive and I won't get hurt!
Well considering cars now park themselves and brake on there own.....
sanmy1412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #83
ramp4ge

It's really interesting that you brought that up.

I was just watching something a few nights ago relating to that Korean Air crash a number of months ago. They were saying how the pilot and co-pilot were used to an Airbus's electronics package, not a 777's electronics package, and that's where they screwed up. In other words, the pilot's over-reliance on technology and lack of actual skill flying the airplane caused the crash.

I see similar things happening in the automotive industry. Sadly, most people behind the wheel have a harder time driving a car than those Korean Air pilots had flying the airplane...
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #84
XJ2Timer

Quote:

How about the pedestrian impact standards for new cars? Back in the day walkers knew not to jump in front of cars.
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #85
ramp4ge

It's obviously too much to ask parents to teach their kids to look both ways before crossing the street.

It's much easier to just walk into the street with your face burried in Facebook on your iPhone. Good luck everybody else.
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #86
XJ2Timer

Quote:
It's obviously too much to ask parents to teach their kids to look both ways before crossing the street.

It's much easier to just walk into the street with your face buried in Facebook on your iPhone. Good luck everybody else.
Quote:
A Taiwanese tourist had to be rescued after accidentally walking off a pier in the Australian city of Melbourne while checking her Facebook page.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25426263
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #87
sanmy1412

Quote:
It's really interesting that you brought that up.

I was just watching something a few nights ago relating to that Korean Air crash a number of months ago. They were saying how the pilot and co-pilot were used to an Airbus's electronics package, not a 777's electronics package, and that's where they screwed up. In other words, the pilot's over-reliance on technology and lack of actual skill flying the airplane caused the crash.

I see similar things happening in the automotive industry. Sadly, most people behind the wheel have a harder time driving a car than those Korean Air pilots had flying the airplane...
Airbus has had more than a few issues with that in the past... sensors malfunctioning and the pilots not being able to 'fly' the plane out of trouble because the computer wouldn't let them. (I'm sure other manufactured have had similar issues)

I left work with a buddy the other night... lots if snow on the ground... he's got a new corrola.... getting out of the parking lot there's a pretty good hill... he tried twice and didn't make it... third try he backed all the way down and halfway thru the parking lot.... I was expecting him yo come flying up the lot and then up the hill....not really. Just went puttering by at a steady speed. He did make it that time.

I asked him the next day what happened.... traction control. The vehicle won't let the tires spin..... he said its great on the highway..... but hates it at low speed. It won't let him 'drive' the car essence.....

Meanwhile I was bombing thru snow banks waiting for him..!
sanmy1412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #88
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

Buffy?
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #89
Barneysjeeppart

Willys Wheeler Watch update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneysjeeppart View Post
Would like to know people's feelings on the announced 2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler edition.

While I have always applauded Jeep's efforts to have special editions, I find this disappointing. This jeep is well-equipped but so are other editions and optioned packages. The attempt is stated to be an honorary throwback to the WILLYS MB. The 2004 Willys package did a better job at that. (perhaps the "Wheeler" was added to distinguish '14 from '04). This package appears to be no more than a WILLYS badging on the hood and available in some Call-Of-Duty subdued paint schemes. A check of the Jeep web site reveals that among the color options, there is no green of any sort. Hardly an honor to the original WILLYS MB, or even the M-Series which followed. 2013 Wrangler was available in Commando Green - arguably the closest color to the WWII flat 318 color in a long time. But it was dropped for '14. Some (not all) of Chrysler's decisions across the board leave us scratching our heads and worrying about the future of the very basic Jeep. Why they haven't answered the demand for a convertible Challenger or offer a Chrysler 'Cuda ff. Why in the world they dropped the Dodge name from their pickup truck line - a legacy of honor as strong as the original Jeep! Is Jeep next? What, in fact, are we facing in 2016?
Local dealer we partner with is getting a couple Wheelers in. May do a side-by-side display using our 45 MB in the showroom. If so, will post photos as well as opinions of the new vehicle.
Barneysjeeppart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #90
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I figured I would bump this thread, since I'm not sure this article merits a new thread. Confirmation that the next wrangler will have solid axles and possible a power soft top.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeep-wrangler-2016.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.