JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Future Models & Prototype Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/)
-   -   New Jeeps through 2016-Wrangler Refresh and variants in 2016 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/new-jeeps-through-2016-wrangler-refresh-variants-2016-a-1471388/)

Marauder_Pilot 01-30-2013 01:41 PM

New Jeeps through 2016-Wrangler Refresh and variants in 2016

Courtesy of Allpar, here the new Chrysler/Fiat release plan through 2016, edited with some supported speculations, based on what we know about upcoming releases.

Note: Nothing after 2013 is set in stone-this plan has already changed several times. However, it changes less each time, so this will be as close to confirmed as we can get right now.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...psbedc9cef.gif

(Red notes are added speculation)

Notes:

The Liberty replacement is going to be going back to the Cherokee name-it hasn't been officially confirmed, but it's been confirmed by those in the know. Expect around 9" of ground clearance and what is essentially a PTO offering true low-range gearing-the first FWD vehicle ever to do so. Styling, inside and out, is going to basically be a 2/3rds-scale Grand Cherokee. Interestingly, it'll either offer a panoramic sunroof, or a continuation of the Skyslider from the KK.

The 2014 B-Segment is being developed primairly by Chrysler's Indian arm, and will probably be oriented more towards developing markets-India, South America, Africa, ect. Expect a small, cheap, efficient and rugged little vehicle, potentially styled as a bit of a mini-Wrangler. It will be based on the Fiat CUSW architecture, but, like the new Cherokee, will be distinct of other CUSW vehicles. (Dart, ect)

One new vehicle in 2015 is going to be the Compass/Patriot replacement. Expect an even smaller and deconted version of the new Cherokee-basically, take the formula of the current Compass/Patriot, refine it a bit and you'll have a good idea. The other vehicle may either be a new Patriot, keeping the two-model, one vehicle idea intact, or the Grand Wagoneer. However, the GW has been pegged as DOA recently, due to slowing demand for large SUVs worldwide.

2016 is the sauce. Wrangler refresh for 2016, along with two new vehicles. One is virtually guarenteed to be the associate replacement of the military-only J8, the other is, finally, after 11 ******* years, a Wrangler pickup (Call it Gladiator or Scrambler or whatever). The other speculation is that it may bring a Wrangler, a steel-topped Wrangler variant and a Wrangler pickup, with military variants of each to flesh out the J8 lineup.

Should be a good few years. :thumbsup:

XJ2Timer 01-30-2013 02:09 PM

Pretty slim pickings if you ask me. A fixed roof Wrangler is a poor substitute for a true XJ replacement.

The Compass replacement will be even more watered down than what we have now.

The B Jeep will be a joke.

Basically the only vehicle (if we are lucky) that will have any aftermarket support will be the Wrangler replacement. No other Jeep model current or forthcoming is designed for anything other than what the factory offers.

I don't see how Jeep is ever going to bring back all those XJ, ZJ and WJ owners with products like these.

Those owners might as well just save some money and shop the competition.
Funny how all those other companies tried to compete with Jeep and had to give up.
Now Jeep is chasing those wannabes. Sad.

Marauder_Pilot 01-30-2013 04:09 PM

How do you figure the Compass being any worse? It's pretty plausible that it'll retain the 2-speed PTO from the Cherokee, and it's not going to lose any ride height.

Jeep lost its XJ, WJ and ZJ owners to Honda, Toyota, Kia and such years ago-95% of non-Wrangler buyers don't give two ****s about solid axles and aftermarket availability.

The B-Jeep will be a vehicle. Don't sell it up the river when it doesn't even exist yet.

Poncherello 01-30-2013 07:44 PM

Not jump off subject but staring at the chart, I wish they would make a Challenger convertible.

Marauder_Pilot 01-30-2013 08:57 PM

They actually had a few prototypes in '09, but at the time there just wasn't the money to build it.

XJ2Timer 01-31-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot (Post 14880613)
How do you figure the Compass being any worse? It's pretty plausible that it'll retain the 2-speed PTO from the Cherokee, and it's not going to lose any ride height.

Jeep lost its XJ, WJ and ZJ owners to Honda, Toyota, Kia and such years ago-95% of non-Wrangler buyers don't give two ****s about solid axles and aftermarket availability.

The B-Jeep will be a vehicle. Don't sell it up the river when it doesn't even exist yet.

Higher unlikely that the next Compass would be designed to be the equal of the new Cherokee. You don't make your lower end vehicles as capable as your higher level ones. People would buy the lower cost lower tier vehicle and you would lose money.

I sure see a lot of XJ's with tones of aftermarket parts on them. The reason why Liberty, Patriot, Compass and WK and WK2 Grand Cherokee buyers don't care about aftermarket stuff is because those Jeeps aren't worth support from the aftermarket.

I do agree. The B-Jeep will be a vehicle. Will it be anything any Jeep owner would want to buy and wheel? Doubtful.

mike_dippert 01-31-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ2Timer (Post 14883718)

Higher unlikely that the next Compass would be designed to be the equal of the new Cherokee. You don't make your lower end vehicles as capable as your higher level ones. People would buy the lower cost lower tier vehicle and you would lose money.

I sure see a lot of XJ's with tones of aftermarket parts on them. The reason why Liberty, Patriot, Compass and WK and WK2 Grand Cherokee buyers don't care about aftermarket stuff is because those Jeeps aren't worth support from the aftermarket.

I do agree. The B-Jeep will be a vehicle. Will it be anything any Jeep owner would want to buy and wheel? Doubtful.

People buy higher tier vehicles for their drivetrain and creature comforts. I have a feeling the money making masses don't give a **** about the 4x4 capabilities of a Compass/New Cherokee/Grand Cherokee. Each model will build on the offerings of the lower teir. It'll be things like powertrain, creature comforts, and styling that differentiate them. If the Cherokee is a higher class version of the Compass, it'll attract customers looking for that. Even if they offer identical 4x4 capabilities. Just like when the XJ and ZJ coexisted. Nowadays they are found on the same trails.

Marauder_Pilot 01-31-2013 08:56 AM

Exactly. The XJ and the ZJ/WJ shared the exact same 4WD systems, and most were sold with the exact same engine. They'll be sharing the same 9-speed FWD transmission as well, so there's no reason not to share the low-range version of that same transmission, especially since Jeep has already gone out of their way to offer a simulated low range on the existing Compass/Patriot.

funkduck 01-31-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot (Post 14879861)

The 2014 B-Segment is being developed primairly by Chrysler's Indian arm, and will probably be oriented more towards developing markets-India, South America, Africa, ect. Expect a small, cheap, efficient and rugged little vehicle,

Will this be available here? 'cause, small-cheap-efficient-rugged is exactly what I want in a vehicle, and can very rarely find anymore. Make the interior versatile and give it a "clam shell" type tailgate (the bottom drops, the top lifts) and they'll need a catcher's mitt to handle how fast I throw money their way.

Marauder_Pilot 01-31-2013 01:32 PM

It should be. 90% certainty. Some publications have mentioned the B-Jeep as an overseas-only vehicle, but Marcichonne has states that he wants Jeep's lineup to be totally global, and this chart was laid out as their North American release schedule.

Rob K 01-31-2013 06:07 PM

Nice find. Thanks for posting the chart. Wish they could make a decent off road vehicle in the price range of the compass/patriot. RIP XJ. I'm sad that the wranglers are out of my price range because that 2016 lineup looks promising and exciting.

Marauder_Pilot 01-31-2013 06:42 PM

To be fair, if you took the MSRP of an '01 Cherokee and adjusted it for inflation, it'd be in the same price bracket as the Wrangler now too. Designing new platforms is extremely expensive (Which is why an automaker will squeeze out as many vehicles as they can from one), and to design a live-axled C-segment SUV platform would cost more than anybody would pay for a vehicle built on one.

Rob K 01-31-2013 10:42 PM

Marauder, you not very inspiring.:) Like I said, I wish they would make it. Like you said, it's likely not going to happen. Most of the people I know don't have the purchasing power they had a decade ago. Their income has not kept up with inflation. Some of them have really taken a hit. Wranglers are out of reach for a lot of people. I guess I never thought a simple off road vehicle would cost more than a street machine with the bells and whistles, but I guess the day has arrived.

Let's not stray too far from the topic though. Any word on the new Cherokee/Liberty? It sounds like we'll be seeing the near final product this year. It didn't turn up at the Detroit Auto Show. I'm hoping it is better off road than the compass/patriot while maintaining the same fuel economy. Hopefully they can keep the price lower than the Grand Cherokee otherwise that one will be off my radar also. It will most likely fall between the Compass/Patriot and Grand price wise, right? Sucks I have to worry about this.

Necros 02-01-2013 08:52 AM

I'm hoping the Cherokee will fit between the compass and GC. I'd love a new GC, but it's just going to be out of my price range for what I want. So right now I'm looking into a loaded limited Compass.. but I'd like to get something a little bigger. But also kind of hesitant to invest in a 1st year new car. Even though the current compass is on the way out, it's been around a while so hopefully a lot of bugs have been worked out over the years.

Marauder_Pilot 02-01-2013 08:58 AM

That's exactly what the Cherokee will be.

The time now is 05:12 PM.