Is a new Cherokee possible? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Is a new Cherokee possible?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Is a new Cherokee possible?

I read an article recently that said the U.S. auto market is the most profitable in the world. Not sure if this is true, but it did not make me feel very good since I only buy them, not make or sell them. The article also mentioned China wanting to by stock in GM to get a piece of he pie. This got me thinking whether or not the Chinese Cherokees would end up in the U.S. market in the future. What are your thoughts?

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

probably not. the Liberty was originally used to replace the Cherokee. i wouldnt buy a "made in China" 4x4 anyways lol
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Bionicrooster
2010 JK Wrangler 

the old cherookee would never pass safelty and fuel regulations in place today.

However a new cherokee to replace the liberty is a possibility, although the GC and the Durango already take up alot of sales the cherokee would get. Maybe the new Fiat based small SUV will be called Cherokee?
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

the 2000 era cherokees were pretty safe. and theres alot of suvs out there that get crappier gas mileage than it. i do hope they bring back the Cherokee name though.
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I dunno, it seems to me like the Cherokee is kinda a special name for the history of Jeep. Taking one of these new fluffy Jeeps put out by Chrysler and giving it the Cherokee name would be like taking a JK and renaming it CJ. They have the technology to take one of the most popular Jeep platforms ever built (The Cherokee) and bring it up to today's standards (thus bringing back the Cherokee platform). However, that would just make TOO MUCH sense
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyBayXJ View Post
They have the technology to take one of the most popular Jeep platforms ever built (The Cherokee) and bring it up to today's standards (thus bringing back the Cherokee platform). However, that would just make TOO MUCH sense
They are probably too far down the road (especially money wise) of developing watered down 4x4 capability to ever expect to see a new "Cherokee". A metal roof unibody (lighter weight) serious Jeep 4x4 just doesn't seem possible. For those of us that love the Cherokee the best we can get is a removable top body on frame (heavier) Wrangler Unlimited.

Having bought a Cherokee new in 89 and again new in 01 I don't know what will replace them. If I have to settle for less capability in a vehicle then what is keeping me buying Jeeps? I can find average vehicles from any automaker. Seems Jeep is only interested in being average when it comes to metal roof models.
Unread 12-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've been looking for about 6 months now for another vehicle. Can't find a newer vehicle I'm willing to buy. I'd hate to buy a Chinese Cherokee. I'm getting desparate and was entertaining the thought though. I just wish they were still being made here.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

yeah that sucks, but if the chinese cherokee is made of the same parts as it was in the 90s then I'd say go for it. if a newer car try for the WJs or MKs
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Damn near everything is unibody these days, so that's not a problem. Just don't "update" the styling (I don't like the organic look - I like the original look of the XJ. Like a brick with some corners knocked off...)

The inline six as a viable powerplant isn't impossible - GM rereleased an inline six a few years ago (oddly enough, also displacing 242ci) in VORTEC trim. I'd make the new I6 a cross-draught setup tho, and maybe even a true Hemi head setup would be good...

And don't make the thing a "utility car" - it's a light truck, and should be built and fitted out as such!
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

ew I dont like GM motors, theyre tough to work on and always fighting back. Like my ex.. AMC needs to get back to the drawing board and build a new engine

I'd like to see a automotive engine designed similar to an airplane motor, that could put some serious power under the hood.
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
towerdude
1980 CJ7 

Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Just don't "update" the styling (I don't like the organic look - I like the original look of the XJ. Like a brick with some corners knocked off...)
I always thought they looked more like a brick with the corners still on! Come to think of it, my house is brick, my garage is brick, my fireplaces are brick... maybe I should buy an XJ.

2004 WJ Limited - "Total Eclipse" - 4" RC Lift, 265/70/17 Cooper ST's, 4.7L, Huge stereo, Roof Rack, Smittybilt 98281 XRC 8 Comp Series Black Winch with Synthetic Rope and Aluminum Fairlead mounted on reciever plate.
towerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
631XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
And don't make the thing a "utility car" - it's a light truck, and should be built and fitted out as such!
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #13
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

correction to "utility car"

make it a real JEEP!
Unread 12-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #14
Bionicrooster
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
AMC needs to get back to the drawing board and build a new engine
Haha well if they were in business still they probably would have :-)

I doubt a squared off / light truck / no frills cherokee would sell enough to make it worth producing. I loved my xj when I had it but the consumer today doesn't want a harsh riding, no frills utility vehicle (well we do,thats why we are here).... I think the product line of GC, jk and jku, possible Galdiator, and smaller SUV (patriot / cherokee name?) coming from Fiat is about all we can expect right now.
Unread 12-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
Karvin
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Might it be time for a retro Cherokee? Seems sales for the newer Mustangs, Camaros, and Chargers are doing well enough.
Karvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.