more merger talk :( - JeepForum.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By TrailRated6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-16-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

more merger talk :(

The People’s Chrysler: Volkswagen Open to Merger with FCA [Update: FCA’s Marchionne Responds]

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-peo...rger-with-fca/

Quote:

General Motors’ Mary Barra may choose to ignore Sergio Marchionne’s emails, but Volkswagen chief executive Matthias Müller is at least checking his spam folder in case the outspoken Italian sends a proposal to merge Fiat Chrysler and Volkswagen.
The VW CEO told reporters during the company’s annual investor conference that he is “not ruling out a conversation” with FCA CEO Marchionne to discuss a merger between the two automakers, Reuters reported. Weeks earlier, Müller (pictured below) had publicly denied any interest in speaking with Marchionne, saying, “We have other problems.”

The two automotive giants have winked at each other before. During the summer of 2014, rumors peaked that VW and FCA would merge their combined 20 car brands into a giant entity. Both companies denied any possibility, only to see Marchionne aggressively court General Motors beginning in March 2015 (through at least one direct email to CEO Barra, if not by other methods). At the end of the following month, Marchionne made an unusual public pitch to investors—and specifically, to any automaker executive willing to listen—to promote industry mergers and decry what he called “unacceptable” capital spending and the “pure economic waste” that occurs when competing automakers develop the same parts and technologies. He said FCA was not up for sale but was searching for a “partner,” a word he has continued to use, for instance while discontinuing the Dodge Dart and the Chrysler 200 for lack of, you guessed it, partners.

Despite taking the equivalent of a $6.7 billion charge for the diesel scandal, the VW Group was still highly profitable in 2016, raking in $5.7 billion after taxes. It lost $1.5 billion in 2015 when the scandal broke in September that year. FCA recorded a net profit after tax of $1.9 billion, or nearly five times its net profit, in 2015. No other discussions between the two automakers are known at this time.

UPDATE 3/16/2017: Marchionne on Wednesday denied he was pursuing Volkswagen for a merger. According to Automotive News, which quoted the CEO following remarks by President Trump in Detroit, Marchionne said he “will not call Matthias. I have no interest.

“If he wants to come, he knows where I live,” Marchionne said. “I didn’t chase him and I have no intention of chasing him. But if I’m right on consolidation and the fact you need to build scale, we’re the natural place to go for him.”

__________________________________________________ ______________

Why can't he take no as an answer?

Jim
USW, OAPSE Union member
99 TJ Sahara 4.0 5-Sp FUV + farm worker
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 PM
TrailRated6

Daimler Chrysler, Fiat Chrysler, Fiat Volkswagon Chrysler, whatever. I wish Chrysler was an American stand alone company again. Dream on...
DaveJKJ likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-06-2017, 03:31 PM
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRated6 View Post
Daimler Chrysler, Fiat Chrysler, Fiat Volkswagon Chrysler, whatever. I wish Chrysler was an American stand alone company again. Dream on...

Me too. How about 100% USA.......

Dave

Lifted, Skids, Hooks, Rails, Trail Rash..
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.