jeepers need new xj ... end of story! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > jeepers need new xj ... end of story!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
stretchtj

jeepers need new xj ... end of story!

the xj was a solid powerful reliable vehicle why can't we get another updated one?... is it perhaps that new tech can be to un reliable?

stretchtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
hearingcolors23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

doubtful =[

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchtj View Post
the xj was a solid powerful reliable vehicle why can't we get another updated one?... is it perhaps that new tech can be to un reliable?
i second that! but i doubt it would happen seeing as chrysler is moving more towards luxury vehicles.. but the new jeep commando concept looks promising...if it's real that is.
hearingcolors23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
stretchtj

yea but id just be so Stoked to see such a versatile vehicle that is invincible as the xj was ... im tired of 4x4 minivans for soccer moms who want to hop a curb in order not to have to move the coolers across the lot... I've had zj,Tj,and now my xj and I believe that its the best vehicle for an.average outdoorsman..
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
stretchtj

ok so my comment ab moms and curbs was mean I apologize ....I know that my last comment was out of line and even though wouldn't make sense for jeep to try to market in that way .. I apologize ppl in not really that much of an a**
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchtj View Post
ok so my comment ab moms and curbs was mean I apologize ....I know that my last comment was out of line and even though wouldn't make sense for jeep to try to market in that way .. I apologize ppl in not really that much of an a**
Its very noble of you to apologize.

As far as this discussion goes, you are absolutely right. My first 'car' was a 2 door 89 XJ. My 2nd 'car' is a 96 ZJ.

The Cherokee wins in all columns except for comfort, but thats why you buy a Grand Cherokee.. And in all fairness, the XJ and ZJ aren't in the same class so I'll stop the comparo right there.

Jeep needs a back to the basics, bare bones, and overbuilt machine with a powerplant that gives excellent power and makes highway driving a breeze. Take basic truck axles and bolt them up under the machine.. Not because solid axles provide better ground clearance and overall better performance off-road where flex is needed -thats an added bonus- but because there are less moving parts. Less moving parts means there are less components that will wear out and less trips to the dealer and/or Autozone/Pepboys/Advanced Auto (Etc.) Give that machine a radio, crank windows, and a hard top. No fancy GPS or other shenanigans. This time around though, we could use a cupholder or two. . But seriously, less electrical components = less hardware to fail which means no trips to the dealer for them to fix your recalled heated seats or troublesome "blend door" A/C heat controller.. Less trips to the dealer = better product = happier consumer.

Additionally, people these days are more concerned with "how many MPGs does it get?" instead of "will it leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere?" Sure, no one wants to deal with high gas prices, but this is one area where I don't wish to compromise. I would much rather have a vehicle that gets 2mpg all day long but gives me zero troubles vs a vehicle that gets 50mpg and has 'sudden acceleration' or faulty airbags or frames that crack in half..

I don't know if a modern day Cherokee would sell, based on the "gotta have everything at my finger tips" society that we are among currently, but let this be clear.. There is no replacement that comes even close to competing with the Cherokee.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
stretchtj

well said! totally agree ... cupholders would be nice but in all seriousness a simple versatile sport UTILITY vehicle with the basics would sell but not to those soccer parents of the suburbs that want it all... yea its kinda cheap, yea its kinda a fuel user,no it doesn't have gps or a backup camera with automated doors (gps found on most phones anyway) , but yes it will not leave me in the woods or in a ditch in a snow bank and yes, the solid, bulletproof vehicle will get me home safe everytime and start up every morning when I. get called in to work rain,sleet, snow, flood,... I honestly think manny people at least here.in the south would buy a solid bulletproof vehicle like that
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
stretchtj

its funny that americans are almost blind to the fact that some gas now and again a little sooner is probably worth it, than a repair bill everymonth because a machine is soo high tech that noone can fix it the ole diy way ... I've heard of car/trucks having querks and gremlins but I don't think that cars should have bugs or viruses ... we need simple solid and safe. I.e an updated model of the xj or similiar
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
hearingcolors23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yea. i know whatcha mean. but my yj is kinda annoying cause it's old and i just got it a few months ago and haven't quite worked all the bugs out so i'm dealing with gas and repairs at the same time. but as for a simple reliable vehicle i'm looking forward to the commando if it goes into production. it's said to go back to being real simple like older jeeps without all the luxuries. however...i also heard it would cost more than the grand cherokee. but i would rather see the return of the cherokee than the commando IMO.

Last edited by hearingcolors23; 03-14-2011 at 09:04 PM..
hearingcolors23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I get the feeling the industry is ramming the luxury vehicles down our throat. Only giving us the high price options. Of course there are plenty of people who could care less, but I'm not one of them. Leave out all the extras and quote me a reasonable price. I'll add on the luxuries I see fit

The way our country is heading economically a lot of people will not be buying luxury vehicles. I think the automakers will be forced to build bare bones vehicles again if they want to sell us anything.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #10
stretchtj

I don't like the new commando... its too large.. like I said pryor.. we NEED new XJ
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
bluefever

I too agree on a cherokee type vehicle,when amc was in charge they seemed to be more willing to take chances,but solid axle basic off-roaders seem to be a thing of the past,since even the nissan xterra which is in my opinion pretty good i've seen them off-roading and seen them on youtube and such and they seem to hold their own rather well,but their sales are barely existent anymore,out with rough and tough sport utes in with the luxo soccer mom mobile's. kinda funny though I have several female friends that see me looking at off-roading magazines,usually it has a new grand cherokee on the front and they ask me why there's a minivan on the front of my magazine when I tell them it's a jeep they can't believe it and just laugh!!!
bluefever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
hindsight2020
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I keep looking at the KKs and cannot get myself to replace my XJ for one of them. I'm literally at a loss when they discontinued the XJ. And then I hear about all the electrics in these new vehicles, it's insane. They're built to price you out of maintenance. Electrics repairs are not cost effective. They rival powertrain repairs, honestly. That's my beef with the new vehicles. Yes, the peanut gallery doesn't know any better nor care when they were planning on dumping the vehicle in 4 years anyways while still viable because "Im American and I get bored easy..waaahh", but when I look at the aging vehicle cost efficiency, I guarantee you maintaining a 12 year XJ adjusted for inflation is much more cost effective than attempting to maintain a 12 year KK when that time rolls around. Electrics play a big part in that. So I stay off the market where I cannot feasibly maintain a vehicle I intend on driving for 15 years.

Maybe I'm losing my mind, but here's my offering to you, Chrysler: offer a KK with manual windows, (does the KK have mechanical throttle linkage? That'd be nice too), handle shifter Tcase, solid axles, and please don't go back to teenage girl aimed KJ styling. You do that and I swear I'll walk into a Jeep dealership and pay cash for one, literally. How's that for stimulating the economy. Oh fat chance? Yep, I'll keep throwing money at the paid off XJ while you keep marketing uncompetitive gas mileage vehicles with electrics designed to force you back in the dealership, to the demographics that in short order will cease to have the ability to finance 27K vehicles in the first place. My .02 pesos.

P.S. Nothing against the KK, just utilizing the example of the closest daily driver I'd be willing to replace my XJ with.
hindsight2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
P.S. Nothing against the KK, just utilizing the example of the closest daily driver I'd be willing to replace my XJ with.
I like how you added that in there at the end. The KK was a step in the right direction after the VW Bug styling we saw on the KJ.. But a step taken too short. Its still a Liberty. It might look kind of like a Cherokee.. But it isn't.

Its funny. Chyco knows they messed up by axing the Cherokee. Just look at the Commander, Liberty KK, and Patriot.. You can make a Jeep like a Cherokee, and that is great.. But that isn't going to win back Cherokee drivers that are looking for what made the Cherokee popular - simplicity.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Maybe I'm losing my mind, but here's my offering to you, Chrysler: offer a KK with manual windows, (does the KK have mechanical throttle linkage? That'd be nice too),
Due to federally mandated stability control systems mechanical throttle cables are a thing of the past. I is easier to have it computer controlled to dial back engine speed when the sensors tell the computer you are losing control.

We may not like many of the things that are on new vehicles but when the government tells the automakers they have to have certain systems on the vehicles the automakers have to find a way to do it. Electronic throttles is one of those ways.

When I ordered my 2001 XJ right before ordering closed I made sure to order it without ABS. I haven't run into anything yet. And I never did on my 89 XJ that I drove for 12 years either. I honestly don't know what I would buy to replace my XJ with.
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've been on the search for a replacement for my XJ for about 9 months now. I've found plenty of low mileage automatic XJ's, but no manuals. I can't imagine how many hours I've logged trying to figure out a replacement.

A KJ is probably about the closest thing. I agree they messed up the styling. 2005 and older have manual shift transfer case. No traction control. You can get them with a 5 speed manual tranny in 2004 and older or 6 speed manual tranny in 2005.

Have been considering the Mk Patriot, but the more I learn the less I like. It's nice that you can get the Sport model which does not have a lot of the bells and whistles. Unfortunately a lot of the systems are electronically controlled. The manual tranny gets close to 30mpg. That would be nice. I keep getting this feeling that it would be a mistake to buy one though.

A lot of people love their XJ's. Many on the road still. A lot of them saved from the scrap heap. A lot of clubs and support for those still wheeling them. I don't see why they would not succeed if brought back. They would have to retool, but they're doing that like crazy right now anyway. Even an updated version would be better than nothing. As long as they have the pre 97 body style
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.