Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep "New Willys" concept

13K views 36 replies 30 participants last post by  njkeagle 
#1 ·
How about this?

An extremely small Jeep vehicle (think Smart-sized) with off-road ability but an extremely short wheel base and small 1.x or 2.0 liter engine. Make it safe through a steel structure much like the Smart and Jeep shaped (and characterized) but with an emphasis on mini-car type proportions and fuel economy.

Almost like a modern day Suzuki Samurai but with out-of-the-box Rubicon ability!

That would be a sweet vehicle and enough in-line with the original concept to possibly call it a "New Willys".:2thumbsup:

#9 ·
why not just remake the willy's jeep with modern components, and materials.

#11 ·
how short a wheelbase do you mean when you say short like 100????

#12 ·
I should never say "never"...It's hard to say what kind of change the fuel crisis will bring, but when you get down to the basics of what makes a Jeep a Jeep, I'm sure they could sell them.

The MB was about 130" with an 80" wb.

Modern tech would allow interchangeable body parts to allow large upfit possiblities.

A small displacement, turbocharged, bio-diesel engine, paired with an electric motor, would provide plenty of torque for the off-road duties as well as double the mileage we see on the highway with todays swb Jeep. With a 6 or 7 speed gear box and a 3 speed txcase, this thing could go anywhere.

To make that happen, it would take the most expensive, top-shelf, state-of-the-art parts. This is about 10 years away from being practical.

Its fun to dream...

#20 ·
#15 ·
maybe something like this? I have driven one and liked it

UTILITY TRUCK 4X4 LIGHTWEIGHT 1/4 TON M422

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The M422 "Mighty Mite" was built by AMC as a light weight truck for the US Marines. At 1,700 pounds, it is the lightest of the North American trucks, but still 100 pounds heavier than the German Kuebelwagen. An aluminum body helped keep the weight down.

The truck came in three models: the M422, M422A1 and M422A2. The M422 has a tiny 65 inch wheelbase. The M422A1 is six inches longer in both wheelbase and length and is 80 pounds heavier. The A1 also has a spare tire and a windshield from the M38A1. The A2 is 5 inches longer than the A1 and has a windshield from the M38. The A2 also has a toolbox behind the seats in front of the wheel well and a top with bows.

Engine

Model .............. AMC AV-108-4
Block .............. Air Cooled V4
Displacement ....... 108 cu. in. (1.8L)
Horsepower ......... 52 bhp @ 3,600 rpm
Torque ............. 90 lbs-ft @ 2,500 rpm
Bore ............... 3 1/4 inch
Stroke ............. 3 1/4 inch
Compression ........ 7.5:1

Drivetrain / Suspension
The M422 uses a New Process Gear 4 speed transmission with overdrive. Like the M151, the transfer case only engages/disengages the front wheel drive and is part of the transmission.

The M422 has standard leaf springs on the front and leaf sprung trailing arms on the rear.

#18 ·
Hate to say this guys...but that's why I also have a Samurai.:peaking:
It's fun in the woods and also it's getting 30mpg.:cheers2:

#24 ·
#23 ·
samuari = 130 hp 90 tq 4.56 gears stock and if i remember right a 235 75 15 tire is the biggest they can fit without a lift. gutless turds had to keep it in 4th gear going 35 through the city or it would lug and almost die 5th at 70 was a good cruising speed tho

#25 ·
Well you over rated the HP and the gears, it was only 66hp with 3.73:1 gears.

#32 ·
It's all about safety. I wouldn't call one safe at any sort of speed, it looks like you'd roll one at any sort of speed. Plus, I wouldn't want to be in one in an accident. I know motorbikes are just as unsafe there, but they have the speed and the maneuverability to hypothetically GTFO of the way.

Although, in a lot of places, especially more remote ones, they are road-legal. I know in Yellowknife you can get road permits for side-by-sides (As well as quads with road tires), and Whitehorse is considering the same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.