Future jeeps to have useless gadgets - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Future jeeps to have useless gadgets

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
carnuted

Future jeeps to have useless gadgets

Useless at least for what a lot of us use them for. Just read an article on new gadgets all new vehicles are going to be required to have. Just creates more waste, weight, and expense IMHO.

carnuted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
XJ2Timer

The rear camera or sonar is just a high tech fix for stupid human behavior. Drivers should look behind their vehicle when getting into it. Simple fix. I wonder what the neighborhoods look like where parents are backing over their own kids. Is it an old neighborhood where houses had big front porches to play on and public sidewalks with every house having a long sidewalk going up to the house? In other words a neighborhood where there were plenty of places to ride and play? Or is it a new neighborhood where the only place to play is the driveway? I'd be curious to see any statistics on these kinds of accidents.
More reason to keep driving my XJ. Front airbags but that's it. I even made sure not to order ABS.
Unread 10-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
carnuted

My point is we should fix the problem, not keep putting band-aids on it. If people are that dumb, and unfortunately a lot of them are, we need to be more selective about who we let drive in the first place.
Unread 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuted View Post
My point is we should fix the problem, not keep putting band-aids on it. If people are that dumb, and unfortunately a lot of them are, we need to be more selective about who we let drive in the first place.
Oh I agree with you. Personally I'd like to see mandatory written tests at each license renewal. Heck, everyone forgets some of the details of the law. Then for moving violations or numerous accidents you have to take the driving part of the test too. And let's make drivers ed really about driving. How to handle a car without all the electronic nannies fixing your mistakes. Learn how to not make the mistakes in the first place. If we fix the drivers then maybe we can get cars lighter, cheaper and easier to repair. Make people responsible for their own actions and stop all the stupid sue happy mentality because you weren't paying attention.
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
BIGBEAR
JK Wrangler 

In other parts of the world (ie: Germany) Drivers are 18 before getting their license. The drivers courses are appx. 1 year long and include an advanced driving test with skid-outs and high speed manuevering (like the ones cops here take). Throughout the "senior year" of high school these kids spend 1K+ dollars on taking all these test and are by far much better/safer drivers than many/most of American. (Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with these details) Anyways, why can't we institute a program closer to this even though we don't have the Autobahn.
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR View Post
Anyways, why can't we institute a program closer to this even though we don't have the Autobahn.
Because of all the whining people who cry about how driving is somehow a right. Plus we have become a culture of "it wasn't my fault", "The manufacturer should have done something", and "You ought to sue someone". No one wants to be held responsible for their own actions. Why learn to drive when I can depend on technology to correct my mistakes?

And if we tried to do something like actually demand that drivers be trained I'm sure that Jesse and Al would cry out that it was racist.
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Driving isn't a right, it's a privilege, just like voting, smoking, and drinking.

If it was a right, we'd be allowed to do so from the time we were born.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
carnuted

Amen T-bird. I hate how so many idiots think they have the right to smoke, yet I don't have the right to clean air. There are some states looking at driving school for kids now. West Virginia is trying something out. If they had this when I was learning, I would've begged my parents to take it, and would've probably been a much better driver for doing so. Instead of spending millions on safety and trying to make things idiot-proof, lets spend the money and get rid of the idiots, or at least weed out the ones who can't be cured and stop them from driving in the first place.
Unread 10-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #9
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

eh. too much new stuff. i might be younger but i hate complex things. its all about simple things...
Unread 10-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
LKrux
1997 TJ Wrangler 

they should leave the cars how they are. so the "kids that get ran over" cause parents dont have a freaking back up camera die.sure you can say im evil, but youll be thanking me when you notice the amount of traffic has declined due to population decreases. survival of the fittest once again!
LKrux is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.