Electric Jeep in 2010 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Electric Jeep in 2010

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallando View Post
Every problem you listed is similar to problems internal combustion engines faced or still face today. Capitalism demanded improvements and fixes, and they were made. Now those same market dynamics are demanding a change away from internal combustion and it is being made. You dont like it? Vote with your wallet.

Electric cars are the future. Even if we start powering things with hydrogen, it will still be electric motors that drive the wheels. This is the ONLY future there is for cars, so get used to it sooner rather then later. We reached the halfway point with oil a few decades ago. A few decades, maybe half a century from now, your petrol powered car will be a useless piece of metal. Some diesels might still be around, powered by biodiesel or veggie oil, but as a whole, internal combustion is an inefficent archaism that thanks to the wonder of capitalism, is being quickly replaced by better things.

The small enthusiast market will adapt seamlessly, and offroading will improve as a result of the new technology. Spotters wont have to shout over the roar of your obnoxious engine, your motor/motors wont depend on orientation and will have all of its torque at the ready regardless of how depressed the skinny pedal is, with innovations like 4 individial motors you can turn around within your own wheelbase like a tank, you'll be able to wheel more miles then you ever have before with the increased efficiency, and best of all you wont selfishly pollute the environment you wheel in with CO2 and noise.

A very bright future indeed. I'm excited.
You can believe the hype all you want. Halfway point with oil? Not even close. If we just get off our asses and extract 10% of the oil reserves you ARENT being told about, we'll have plenty for the next 500 years. With no foreign dependence whatsoever.

Capitalism has NOTHING to do with the development of electric cars! Thats laughable. Its politics. The whole global warming scam is whats pushing it, and naturally the car companies will be all to happy to build you a disposable car that you cant service yourself and you have to throw away and buy a new one.

You go right on ahead. But the enthusiasts are NOT buying into it.

BadAsh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAsh74 View Post
You can believe the hype all you want. Halfway point with oil? Not even close. If we just get off our asses and extract 10% of the oil reserves you ARENT being told about, we'll have plenty for the next 500 years. With no foreign dependence whatsoever.

Capitalism has NOTHING to do with the development of electric cars! Thats laughable. Its politics. The whole global warming scam is whats pushing it, and naturally the car companies will be all to happy to build you a disposable car that you cant service yourself and you have to throw away and buy a new one.

You go right on ahead. But the enthusiasts are NOT buying into it.

I don't know why you think there's so much oil left, but worldwide peak production was reached in 2000. That's science. Even with the national reserves, offshore drilling, and questionable shale oil, we will never reach the levels attained at the peak of the boom, and that's after gross over-estimation. Oil production in Alaska peaked in the mid eighties. Shale oil is a complete joke. We're boned as a country unless we come up with something new soon.

Major oil producers like the UAE and Saudi Arabia have been re-structuring their economies to prepare for a world without large amounts of petroleum products. The only real detractors of peak oil are a few oil CEO's, in complete self-denial that their livelyhood is literally vanishing out from under them at a very rapid rate.

The technology has only been around for about decade, there is naturally some kinks to be worked out. Cars like Priuses (Priui?) are not carbon neutral yet, but the more people buy into them, the more money car companies make off them, and the more money they put into developing the technology. We enthusiasts had better start buying into it, because there wont be anything to be enthusiastic about in a few decades. That is of course, unless you like to special-order your fuel.

I bet people were distrought about the onset of internal combustion at the start of the 20th century, because steam engines and horse drawn carriages were so much more familiar and thus easier to work on. Harden up and take some classes on electric motors.
Pallando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #18
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

Diesel is the way to go!! i bet diesels will get big agian before you see a mass production of EVs hitting the road. Even though companies like Tesla Motors can get 220 out of a charge on a sport good looking car, people wont trust them.

I did a project on synthesing diesel using algea. One hectacre of land can produce up to 20,000 gals of diseil using algae. On top of that they can use the carbon dixoide and monoxide from fossil fuel power plants to increase the production rate of the algae.

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy_10138 View Post
Diesel is the way to go!! i bet diesels will get big agian before you see a mass production of EVs hitting the road. Even though companies like Tesla Motors can get 220 out of a charge on a sport good looking car, people wont trust them.

I did a project on synthesing diesel using algea. One hectacre of land can produce up to 20,000 gals of diseil using algae. On top of that they can use the carbon dixoide and monoxide from fossil fuel power plants to increase the production rate of the algae.

I love diesel. I wish more car manufacturers would make hybrid diesel-electric motors, I'd buy into that instantly.

That's really cool, actually. Do you know where I can find some literature on stuff like that?
Pallando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
josh9465
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What happens when you run out of petrol. Whoops.

what happens when your petrol car's battery goes flat. Whoops.

What happens when all the computers go crazy in the middle of no where in your brand new JK goes. Whoops.

if your out in the middle of no where you bring a generator. just like in a petrol car you bring jumper leads or spare fuel.

so theres good and bad for both electric and petrol car

Quote:
What happens when some water or mud gets in those motors and shorts them out? Whoops.

If its a battery-only system what happens when youre out in the boondocks and they run dry? Whoops.

What happens 2-3 years later when (like your cel phone) they barely hold a charge? Whoops.

What happens when you have a problem with the car and no one within 3 states knows anything about how to work on it? Whoops.

What about if you get T-boned by another vehicle and you get electrocuted or the batteries rupture and the acid melts your face right off? Whoops.
josh9465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #21
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

I found some of the research on online journals through the schools network. I can try to look through my computer and see if I have the articles saved anywhere.

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #22
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9465 View Post
What happens when you run out of petrol. Whoops.

what happens when your petrol car's battery goes flat. Whoops.

What happens when all the computers go crazy in the middle of no where in your brand new JK goes. Whoops.

if your out in the middle of no where you bring a generator. just like in a petrol car you bring jumper leads or spare fuel.

so theres good and bad for both electric and petrol car
True, everything has its disadvantages and advantages. But lets look at some of the fixes for these appliancecars:

So now, I gotta drop hundreds on a generator??? A couple jerricans and jumper cables are MUCH cheaper than any generator or having extra batteries. Theres not a lot of room on board a jeep for tons of extra batteries and a generator. Oh and generators run on PETROL!!!! Which direction are you going, bro? By that logic I should tow a horse trailer so I can hook up the clydesdales if my Jeep dies! hahaha!

If my battery dies, I drive a manual. So if Im in a REAL tough spot r if Im too dumb/cheap to pop a $20 for cables, I can get it rolling and pop the clutch. Simple.

Youre right about all the computers which is why the auto industry should go to a standalone fuel management system. Its not perfect, but a LOT more reliable. And with electrics youre talking about taking the one thing that can screw your pooch in the middle of nowhere and going fully dependent on them.

Right now, the only way to charge any electric device is with fossil fuels or nuclear power. So while you may not be burning petrol to run a plug in hybrid, youre not getting away from the fossil fuels. So whats the point?

My cel phone is 2 years old. While its still useable, it has a LOT less talk/text time on it before it needs a charge. Am I gonna drop the $40-$60 for a new battery? Hell no, Ill wait till my contract runs out and if they dont upgrade me with a new phone Ill swap providers where Ill get a high end piece for next to nothing. But Im still treating a severall hundred dollar device like a throwaway. Can YOU afford to buy a new rig every 2 years? And say goodbye to hotrodding or upgrades. Not only will it not be worth it given the expensive/disposable battery issue but why would you even bother dropping thousands to make your electric jeep into your dream rig only to have to dispose of it in a couple years? Its totally wasteful.
Unread 03-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #23
josh9465
1999 TJ Wrangler 

at the end of the day i understand you want your V8's and gas driven cars. but gas production isnt going to last forever.

im just saying i dont mind an electric jeep. for everyday driving it would be great to not have to pay for gas.

sure its a bit of a disadvantage out 4wding. but everything has its good and bad.
josh9465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #24
jesse18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Eww when it comes to lift and such...What a pain in the *** that would be...
jesse18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #25
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gas production will continue long after you and I are worm poop. We've been fed this crap about how we're gonna run out of oil and the skys gonna fall and all the spotted owls are gonna die and blah blah blah. Its to keep the prices high! And in any case, Im singing the praises of internal combustion, not gasoline. LPG, CNG, diesel, enthanol, hydrogen, I dont care what youre burning in that V-8, but thats the way to power a vehicle. Especially a Jeep.

Whether you're buying gas, new batteries, or paying a higher electric bill to charge the damn thing youre gonna be buying SOMETHING. I say electrics are fine for econoboxes, sedans, and minivans. Nothing else. The enthusiast segment will never embrace something that cant be modded, wont last, and wont give the right driving experience. However a silver electric egg/pod thing that'll get granny to church and to the market cheaply and reliably might sell. THATS about the extent of where electric vehicles are worth a damn.

And lift that? Good luck. Those hybrid trucks they have now cant be lifted or modded. Not even Bill Gates and Steve Jobs' mutant love child could hack the computer enough to not have a freak out.
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #26
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gas production will continue long after you and I are worm poop. We've been fed this crap about how we're gonna run out of oil and the skys gonna fall and all the spotted owls are gonna die and blah blah blah. Its to keep the prices high! And in any case, Im singing the praises of internal combustion, not gasoline. LPG, CNG, diesel, enthanol, hydrogen, I dont care what youre burning in that V-8, but thats the way to power a vehicle. Especially a Jeep.

Whether you're buying gas, new batteries, or paying a higher electric bill to charge the damn thing youre gonna be buying SOMETHING. I say electrics are fine for econoboxes, sedans, and minivans. Nothing else. The enthusiast segment will never embrace something that cant be modded, wont last, and wont give the right driving experience. However a silver electric egg/pod thing that'll get granny to church and to the market cheaply and reliably might sell. THATS about the extent of where electric vehicles are worth a damn.

And lift that? Good luck. Those hybrid trucks they have now cant be lifted or modded. Not even Bill Gates and Steve Jobs' mutant love child could hack the computer enough to not have a freak out.
Well said as we'll always be paying for something. The question should be what is the least expensive option, which it certainly isn't enthanol for one. But the last thing the environmental left wants is cheap energy.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #27
BadAsh74
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Well said as we'll always be paying for something. The question should be what is the least expensive option, which it certainly isn't enthanol for one. But the last thing the environmental left wants is cheap energy.
You said it! There were plans in place to set up a geothermal powerplant out in eastern Oregon. It doesnt get more cheap, renewable or clean than that, and yet the enviro freaks pulled out every dirty trick and lawsuit to stop it. Same with the dynamos they wanted to install out off the coast powered by the waves out in the ocean. Its all about controlling how people live.
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #28
-Zona-

Quote:
Since the US loves bailouts maybe NASA could bailout Jeep and take it over.
2-stage rocket booster engines
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.