Electric 4WD - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Electric 4WD

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #46
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I saw one of these at an arms show on Fort Benning and it had a diesel engine that powered a generator. The generator then gave electricity to a motor on each of the 4 wheels. The guy said one wheel motor will pull the vehicle at 60 mph even if the other 3 motors were destroyed. Pretty sweet rig if you ask me.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:1&um=1&itbs=1

Soldierfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #47
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

check out this site, http://www.revconversions.com/

They have a totally electric TJ, with a trailer mounted generator to boost the range.
I think if you search youtube, they have some videos about it.
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #48
slow2run
1993 YJ Wrangler 

what are the advantage of having 4 electric power hubs on each wheel?
slow2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #49
TheDirtyGeneral

http://www.huntve.com/index.php/hunt...els/huntve-4x4 make it bigger and make it last longer

Also, who said the chemical exchange had too happen in the Jeep? Couldn't "power stations" be readily available like gas stations, maybe instead of paying for gas you pay for a battery exchange or we develop a way of charging batteries in 5ish minutes, plus we could have a solar charge and add a sort of windmill to the front so batteries are being charged while the vehicle is moving. convert the heat from braking back to energy for the battery, there are a lot of technologies out there that could be combined to make one awesome vehicle.
Unread 01-31-2011, 05:19 AM   #50
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2run View Post
I am not sure of on all 4 wheel. I would guess for 4 wheel drive. Having the motor attached at the wheel probably has a few advantages. First in no transimission. Three advantages to that; first one less assembly. 2nd no loss of power by going through a transmission, so better efficiency. The third is that a motor if reversed is a generator. So, the motor can act as a brake and then regerate electricity to the battery.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #51
bnther36

Motors on all 4 wheels really wouldn't be that big a deal. From what I know about CNC motors, the possible control over how each one of the wheels performs is virtually limitless. If you wanted to get really crazy, you could have 4 wheel steering with your 4WD. It'd be the ultimate in short area maneuverability with incredible torque!

I'm curious to see how rising gas prices affect the future the Jeep lineup. I would really love to see a small diesel/electric 4WD.
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #52
TheDirtyGeneral

I don't think it will be long before we see a production hybrid Jeep thats still capable of the power and torque a jeep has now.
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #53
PDBreske
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Imagine the clearance problems that could be solved with four electric motors at the hubs. No more transmission or transfer case means more room under the belly, and no more differentials means you wouldn't even need a straight tube between the wheels—you could put in a solid yet bent axle that curves up and gives clearance straight down the center of the vehicle. No gas tank, no oil pan, no driveshafts. That would be awesome!
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #54
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
Imagine the clearance problems that could be solved with four electric motors at the hubs. No more transmission or transfer case means more room under the belly, and no more differentials means you wouldn't even need a straight tube between the wheels—you could put in a solid yet bent axle that curves up and gives clearance straight down the center of the vehicle. No gas tank, no oil pan, no driveshafts. That would be awesome!
Also, think about the possibility of torque at very low RPMs.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #55
dcecr
2006 WK 

electric and off road dont mix
dcecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #56
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcecr View Post
electric and off road dont mix

Why not?
You can enclose the motor, and set up a fan/blower with a filter, to keep the motor cool, and keep debree out. And just like a regular vehicle, if you are going to be in deep mud/water, just waterproof the electronics.

I think the benifit of maximum torque at low/0 RPM would be worth any extra work to seal/protect the components of an electric off roader.
Unread 06-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #57
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2run View Post
in a military application, the 4 motors allows the vehicle to continue its mission if one is blown up or shot out. The rep on site said that one motor will pull the vehicle at 60 mph so they can lose three and still keep on keeping on.
Soldierfoley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.