Electric 4WD - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Electric 4WD

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #16
BennyLT
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think an electric 4x4 would be fantastic. your guys all bring up great points, torque as soon as you touch the pedal, power to weight far superior to gas, ability to have a multiple motor set up to power each axil or even each wheel independently. an electric motor is actually far simpler and more reliable then gas. there are far fewer moving parts.

It is my understanding that a DC electric motor will run under water, can anyone (who really knows!) confirm? Also they require relatively low voltage, so its not as dangerous as you might think. They are actually using elec. motors in boats right now so they are obviously not that worried about it.

The big problem would be us motorheads wouldnt have much to play withn because once you got it together it would run like a clock and not need much from us at all.

Check this out. http://www.nedra.com/

these guys are putting up impressive numbers on electric only. granted they have no real range at that level, but it gives you an idea.

Last edited by BennyLT; 12-21-2007 at 09:59 AM..
BennyLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #17
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Yes, DC will run underwater. Most newn DC Motors are broken in by running underwater to set the brushes better on the commutator. Electricity will take the path of least resistance, and water does not conduct better than a metal.

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #18
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

nobody sees a problem with an electric jeep and offroading?

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #19
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatman
Yes, DC will run underwater. Most newn DC Motors are broken in by running underwater to set the brushes better on the commutator. Electricity will take the path of least resistance, and water does not conduct better than a metal.
yeah water wont hurt the componants but the second you hit mud..bye bye expensive ****

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #20
phasewolf

Mud will not hurt it at all. they will seal them and that will take care of that issue.
phasewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #21
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasewolf
Mud will not hurt it at all. they will seal them and that will take care of that issue.
Exactly. I am pretty sure Jeep would not just throw in some huge DC motor with tons and tons of voltage without protecting it at least a bit.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
Unread 12-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #22
Capeman29
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a remote control jeep that runs on a lithium battery, it can climb over a whole mound of dirty laundry!

Just take the same dimensions and increase them like 600 times bigger!!!!
(and leave the remote control!)
Unread 12-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #23
bnther36

Just three more weeks and I'll get to see this new 'Electric Jeep' close up.

To be honest, if Jeep doesn't actually pull through on this one I might have to convert to Subaru. This will be like the 4th time Jeep has made a really cool 2 seat concept car but it seems like all they ever do is produce 5 seat station wagons. I was pretty PO'ed when management put the Jeep label on the Caliber, but when they decided to do it again with the Nitro...well I vowed that they had gone too far.

When it comes to off-roading, there is Jeep and then there is everything else. If management doesn't realize this, then they own the wrong company.
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
sgnellett
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It sure seems that someone ought to be able to scale down the systems that run a locomotive to a smaller and MUCH lighter duty version that could run a full size truck, SUV or other large vehicle as well as or better than the current gas engine. It might require some re-packaging to fit everything in, but I'd love to try and do it w/ an old S-10 or Ranger. Start w/ making it work as a 2wd, then add another motor for the front and a bigger generator to charge it all, then it's just a matter of scaling it down to fit...
SGNellett, 02 TJ Sport, Twin tops, 3" BDS lift, 33x12.5x15, K&N CAI, Tomken Front Stubby w/ towbar Tomken Rear w/ Tire Carrier (in the Garage, awaiting install, Thanks Santa!) RED Jeep Club, Member #441
NEVER FORGET
9/11
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
"Your ignorance is surpassed only by the arrogance with which you display it!"
sgnellett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #25
97_renegade_35s

They did it with a 4wd evo lancer and it pumps out 200kw and 518nm of torque... it will happen eventually

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1073/mit...volution-miev/
97_renegade_35s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 04:18 AM   #26
BiTMAP
1992 YJ Wrangler 

why use a gas engine? they're terrible for running electric generators. a diesel will run at a steady RPM for FAR longer, get a decent small block detriot, mount that right behind the seats for a good cog, fill the front cavity with batterys, add 2 electric drive motors to the drive shafts to the diffs. (for simplicity of build).

givver!

new problem, needing to replace rubber alot more, being able to floor it and instantly having the wheels moving at full speed will be a hard thing to adjust too, may want to add a computer assist to control the driving styles etc as well as moniter the system.

it would be a pretty fun jeep though
BiTMAP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #27
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Someone made a mini conversion that has an electric motor powering each wheel, taking up not much more than the space where the brakes were in the real mini.
This would be a awesome setup for a 4WD, provided the motors can be made submersible that is.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #28
Slick101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

how does the electric motor heat up your car when its 12 degrees outside?
Unread 03-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #29
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDFoot View Post
Someone made a mini conversion that has an electric motor powering each wheel, taking up not much more than the space where the brakes were in the real mini.
This would be a awesome setup for a 4WD, provided the motors can be made submersible that is.
Too bad not all motors would spin the same speed. Plus they will wear differently.

Slick101, good point. You could probably actually hook up some sort of alternator to power a heater, but then again there is no such thing as unlimited free power. (recharging a battery running a belt spinning an alternator.)

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #30
bnther36

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatman View Post
Too bad not all motors would spin the same speed. Plus they will wear differently.
Actually, each motor would probably be controlled independently. I'm a CNC machinist and part of that job includes knowing exactly what speed to program the spindle; compensating for tool wear, matl. hardness, ect. In theory, an Electric 4WD could have one tire doing all of the work or spread out the work load to any combination of tires...with a very marginal error. In fact, I'd bet a round of beers that an Electric Jeep could give an amatuer driver considerable more control than a convential Jeep (preprogrammed off-roading parameters). You could take it one step farther and let the 'hard-core' off-roading tweek and manage performance in a whole new way.

Who knows, it may very well be the wave of the future.
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.