Electric 4WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Future Models & Prototype Discussion > Electric 4WD

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
bnther36

Electric 4WD

I've been reading up on some of these electric cars and apparently electric motors can have a fair amount of torque. I didn't realize this but trains are driven by electric with a diesel generator powering the motors. Has anyone ever tried this with a 4wd? Would this be practical for off-roading? Would they be able to keep the motors dry for those 'go deep' excursions?

bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
IMYY4U
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know about an electric 4wd or an electric TJ/JK/CJ of that matter unless someone shows me a demo of the electric power strength in torque.

I mean I'm not biased, it's a cool idea and I would like to see it done. But for Jeep 4wd, Gasoline is the way to go along with the reliable just on-the-fly 4wd.
IMYY4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
mc22958
2008 WK 

Renegade concept

Here you go. Jeep is thinking like you.

Up for showing at the upcoming Detroit auto show in January is the Jeep concept, "Renegade" with a bluetec diesel powering a lithium-ion battery pack that powers two electric motors. A article in December 3, 2007 AutoWeek says.....

"The small, sporty concept combines the Lithium-ion battery pack, electric motors and a bluetec diesel engine. The result is fuel economy of about 110 mpg." (a 110 mpg number????) The article goes on to say. "The Renegade has an aluminum body structure for less weight and duel electric motors for four-wheel-drive capability. Chrysler says the output of the electric motors totals 85 kilowatts. Styling features include a cut-down windshield, a roll bar, openings in the door panels and a hose out interior."

I wonder how an electric will do on the trail? If the torque of a diesel works well off road. A anti-stall motor combined with a torque curve that is instantaneous from the start......interesting.
Discovery 4.6
mc22958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Raider556

That sounds like a great idea. A plug-in diesel electric would be something I would buy. I've been hoping for this to happen!
Raider556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
75SV1

They do make sealed motors for some machining applications and hazard duty. Also as mentioned electric motors can be made with high 'brake away' torque.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Just more expensive repairs if **** hits the fan. Then if you get hit in your aluminum-mobile you're deader than a door nail.

Why must everything advance towards the yuppie electric ****. The people who buy the electric cars are a bunch of snobs and their car is not good for the environment like they think it is.
fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not to sound like a hippie but things change gentlemen. There will be a day when gas power will be a thing of the past due to increased technology. I am not sure about you but I am glad we advanced from riding horse drawn carriages. I am sure the old timers back then said similiar stuff as WE are saying now. Like, "..those new fandangled automobiles are way to expensive and they cost a ton to repair..." Just think if we had listened to them then. The technology wouldnt have advanced and we'd be riding while staring at a horses romp.

Again things change and technology advances. Eventually, an alternative source of power will beat of out gasoline. When, what and how is too be determined.....

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
spiralbrain
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajeep
Not to sound like a hippie but things change gentlemen. There will be a day when gas power will be a thing of the past due to increased technology. I am not sure about you but I am glad we advanced from riding horse drawn carriages. I am sure the old timers back then said similiar stuff as WE are saying now. Like, "..those new fandangled automobiles are way to expensive and they cost a ton to repair..." Just think if we had listened to them then. The technology wouldnt have advanced and we'd be riding while staring at a horses romp.

Again things change and technology advances. Eventually, an alternative source of power will beat of out gasoline. When, what and how is too be determined.....

Its progress and it opens new doors of oppurtunity for more deveolpment of 4x4 technology.

I would really like to see someone do for real 4x4 hybrid. Something where your out on the street and it uses the electric motor but when you hit the trails the gas engine kicks in.
spiralbrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

How powerful would an electric motor be if this were to happen?
fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
bnther36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredjeep
How powerful would an electric motor be if this were to happen?

Without knowing the components involved it would be difficult to guess.
However, to put into perspective, think of how much torque is actually involved in pulling train cars from a dead stop. This immense 'start up' motion doesn't come from a gasoline or even diesel engine; it comes from electric power.
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
DanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralbrain
Its progress and it opens new doors of oppurtunity for more deveolpment of 4x4 technology.

I would really like to see someone do for real 4x4 hybrid. Something where your out on the street and it uses the electric motor but when you hit the trails the gas engine kicks in.
Not sure why you need the gas engine to kick in when you hit the trails. Someone just needs to build a hybrid that's intended for offroad use. Put a high torque electric motor on each wheel and a diesel hooked to a generator and there you go (unless that's what you meant). A bit oversimplified, but there's no reason electric motors wouldn't work offroad. They'd just need to be sized appropriately and provided with necessary current. If an electric motor can pull those 100 car trains, they can certainly haul a jeep over rocks and up hills.
DanW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #12
75SV1

There is someone who did an electric conversion on a Cherokee. I think the back was filled with batteries. I think electric motors would have a lot of advantages in 4 wheeling. You could put power to each wheel individually. You could have variable speed drive. No need to regear. Electric motors can give economy, then apply more volts for more power. Basically, a V-8 with 4-6-8 cylinder cutoff. I think most of the electric conversions use about 16 hp motors. I would look at the Tesla electric car. Impressive performance, amost a 300 mile range and 4 hour charge time.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Electric setups are generally more expensive to start off with but will provide you with much more power with the touch of a pedal. They will also last a lifetime. The only downside is the danger of lithium battery packs, upfront cost, and the fact that without the gas engine to recharge the battery you could end up stranded. Unless they had a solar recharger...

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
spiralbrain
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatman
Electric setups are generally more expensive to start off with but will provide you with much more power with the touch of a pedal. They will also last a lifetime. The only downside is the danger of lithium battery packs, upfront cost, and the fact that without the gas engine to recharge the battery you could end up stranded. Unless they had a solar recharger...

I imagine it would take a very long time to recharge all of those batteries using a solar recharger!
spiralbrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralbrain
I imagine it would take a very long time to recharge all of those batteries using a solar recharger!
True dat!!!

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.